Mr Floppy

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:39 am

COOL_KINNG wrote:Is it even possible to connect the rpi to dell laptop.
Yes but probably not the way you want. You can use an ethernet cable, USB Y-cable for power and XDMCP.

solar3000

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Very nice setup.
Antikythera

Steve Drain

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Doc_152 wrote:Do you have any schematics, specs etc. for this? I suppose it can be done from the pictures, but it would take a lot more work. I'm planning a Rasptop mod and this seems by far the cleanest method. I was gonna mount the pi on the back of the LCD, but this looks epic. Looks fairly complicated too by the looks of it.
There is no real need for schematics because it is electronicly identical to any other adaptation. Here is a little bit to add to the notes on my site.

Start with a model A. Desolder and remove the GPIO, video, audio and USB sockets. There are good instructions on doing this elsewhere on this site and YouTube.

Replace the USB socket with a right-angle pin header. This will require a tiny bit of pin bending, because the holes are not at exactly 0.1" spacing.

Only replace the GPIO header if you are sure you will need it. My current development uses a ribbon cable header, with the top removed, which lets me push-fit wires. This would not be suitable for any system that is not fully enclosed, but it is neat and compact.

Fabricating the connectors to the Pi is by far and away the trickiest part, especially soldering the HDMI wires. If you do not have a strong desire to make the unit fit exactly in the cradle I would suggest doing something more like my previous go, which you can see at http://www.kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip.htm.

Filing the gaps in the case is a matter of careful measurement and slow and steady work - take care.
Only downside seems to be the inability to upgrade to future revisions.
I doubt that there will be any significant board revisions in the near future and any eventual replacement may well not be identical in size or layout.
However, if I may ask, what was the point of using a microsd card and slot? From the looks of it, a normal SD(HC) card fits too. Also, the capacitors solve the sleep/reboot/shutdown issue that plagues these, correct? It powers on and runs normally with these? No reboot/crash when closing the lid?
I fitted the microSD to the top of the board because the normal SD holder projects too far below the board to fit in the earlier case. The case you see above is about 1mm deeper and what I am developing now retains the normal SD holder. Even so, the microSD is a more reliable holder than the normal one. It is quite easy to remove the normal holder without damaging the Pi. The micro holder is attached with a dab of superglue and the pads on the underside are connected to the pads on the Pi with wires very simply.

The supercaps shown work well with a model A board, but with a model B you need to be very aware of the current drawn by devices attached to the USB sockets, where the stored charge is marginal on maintaining the Pi over closing the lid. I expect larger supercaps would be fine, but tricky to fit in.

Doc_152

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Steve Drain wrote:
Doc_152 wrote:Do you have any schematics, specs etc. for this? I suppose it can be done from the pictures, but it would take a lot more work. I'm planning a Rasptop mod and this seems by far the cleanest method. I was gonna mount the pi on the back of the LCD, but this looks epic. Looks fairly complicated too by the looks of it.
There is no real need for schematics because it is electronicly identical to any other adaptation. Here is a little bit to add to the notes on my site.

Start with a model A. Desolder and remove the GPIO, video, audio and USB sockets. There are good instructions on doing this elsewhere on this site and YouTube.

Replace the USB socket with a right-angle pin header. This will require a tiny bit of pin bending, because the holes are not at exactly 0.1" spacing.

Only replace the GPIO header if you are sure you will need it. My current development uses a ribbon cable header, with the top removed, which lets me push-fit wires. This would not be suitable for any system that is not fully enclosed, but it is neat and compact.

Fabricating the connectors to the Pi is by far and away the trickiest part, especially soldering the HDMI wires. If you do not have a strong desire to make the unit fit exactly in the cradle I would suggest doing something more like my previous go, which you can see at http://www.kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip.htm.

Filing the gaps in the case is a matter of careful measurement and slow and steady work - take care.
Only downside seems to be the inability to upgrade to future revisions.
I doubt that there will be any significant board revisions in the near future and any eventual replacement may well not be identical in size or layout.
However, if I may ask, what was the point of using a microsd card and slot? From the looks of it, a normal SD(HC) card fits too. Also, the capacitors solve the sleep/reboot/shutdown issue that plagues these, correct? It powers on and runs normally with these? No reboot/crash when closing the lid?
I fitted the microSD to the top of the board because the normal SD holder projects too far below the board to fit in the earlier case. The case you see above is about 1mm deeper and what I am developing now retains the normal SD holder. Even so, the microSD is a more reliable holder than the normal one. It is quite easy to remove the normal holder without damaging the Pi. The micro holder is attached with a dab of superglue and the pads on the underside are connected to the pads on the Pi with wires very simply.

The supercaps shown work well with a model A board, but with a model B you need to be very aware of the current drawn by devices attached to the USB sockets, where the stored charge is marginal on maintaining the Pi over closing the lid. I expect larger supercaps would be fine, but tricky to fit in.
Thanks for the extensive clarification, mate. Me and the good ol' soldering iron and old buddies, but I reckon this is above my skill level. At this point, I think I'm going with the screen mount method. I might by another one later and attempt this, but for now, I'll go with the easier method.

Right now, the rough plan is this. Hardwire the microUSB and microHDMI wires into the dock. Just gonna drill a hole on the top of the flip up dock and route the wires through there. USB will be soldered, by HDMI will run via an adapter, I honestly dont have the patience for HDMI soldering.

My dock just arrived. Hebrew version. Set me back 99 USD shipped from Israel. Not really bothered by the layout since I'm learning Hebrew anyway. However I realized that its is extremely prone to fingerprints. Or maybe I shouldn't play with tech while cooking....

The Deltaco 3.5" external HDD case will be gutted and mounted on the back like this. Probably with velcro, to make servicing easier.

Side:

With RasPi inside. It will also be equipped with a small 2600mah mobile emergency charger w/ power switch. A USB hub, powered by the above mentioned charger however the wiring is still in the planning stages. I'm also considering hooking up a RasPi camera once everything else is working

EDIT: What is currently bugging me is the power vs data wiring. This is a Model B board without the polyfuses. Bottom line, it backfeeds power through the USB A hub. This makes the install very simple, but if i want to connect the battery and the hub, I'll probably need to wire it the old fashioned way anyway. Without power in the USB A ports. Two power sources in two different ports would probably make it go bongo, and yes that is a technical term.

Doc_152

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Doc_152 wrote:
COOL_KINNG wrote:Hi

Need a little help!! Want to connect my Dell Latitude d520 with my rpi. Is it even possible to connect the rpi to dell laptop.

Tejvir
Can't be done. Or more precisely, technically it can be done, its just extremely difficult. If you have to ask if its possible, then you probably dont have the skill or the experience to do it. I can go into more detail if you want, but I dont think it changes anything.

Basically, as a thumb rule, unless the device you want to use has video-in, you're buggered. That's the biggest hurdle
Previous comment withdrawn. I found this on a Hungarian RasPi forum.
http://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1280 ... d=14647633
The user hasn't checked back yet if it worked or not. But if the chip works as advertised, the screen problem should be solved. If you gut the laptop, it is possible. But a lot of work.

Mortimer

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Just received a Atrix 4G Lapdock I bought from eBay, now thinking about connect it up to one of my Raspberry Pis.

Timb said back HERE that he had a load of connectors and was coming up with a PCB to link everything together. Did this come to fruition?
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Steve Drain

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Doc_152 wrote:Hardwire the microUSB and microHDMI wires into the dock. Just gonna drill a hole on the top of the flip up dock and route the wires through there. USB will be soldered, by HDMI will run via an adapter
That seems a bit drastic. Adaptors are readily available these days and you do not need to damage your Lapdock.
The Deltaco 3.5" external HDD case will be gutted and mounted on the back like this. Probably with velcro, to make servicing easier.
A much earlier experiment of mine hade the Pi in a normal case attached to the back of the screen using magnetic sheet. Aligned the right way this allowed the case to slide up and down while remaining connected to the Lapdock with a flexible HDMI connector.
With RasPi inside. It will also be equipped with a small 2600mah mobile emergency charger w/ power switch. A USB hub, powered by the above mentioned charger however the wiring is still in the planning stages.
The Lapdock is already a powered USB hub with battery backup. Why would you want to add another?

Doc_152

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Steve Drain wrote:That seems a bit drastic. Adaptors are readily available these days and you do not need to damage your Lapdock.
I'll hardly be damaging it. Modifying it, yes. But unless I screw the pooch, which I wont, it wont break. It'll just be different. Reborn. Reincarnated. Touched by the modding gods. :lol:
A much earlier experiment of mine hade the Pi in a normal case attached to the back of the screen using magnetic sheet. Aligned the right way this allowed the case to slide up and down while remaining connected to the Lapdock with a flexible HDMI connector.
Hmm, that is an interesting idea. I'll look into it.
The Lapdock is already a powered USB hub with battery backup. Why would you want to add another?
1. Not enough USB ports. And the case has some extra space where a hub can fit.
2. That is the easiest way of fixing the closed lid reboot issue. The Lapdock cuts the power for a moment every time the lit is closed. A small battery pack fixes that. Cheap and easy. You can solder a cap on it as previously noted, but why bother if there is an easier way.

peinneon

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:34 pm

can this be applied on RPi Model A? because i haven't seen someone using the lapdock on the model A.
can the RPi read the peripherals attached to the lapdock's usb ports?

thanks before and sorry if this is a stupid question.. and sorry for my bad english :(

itimpi

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 pm

peinneon wrote:can this be applied on RPi Model A? because i haven't seen someone using the lapdock on the model A.
can the RPi read the peripherals attached to the lapdock's usb ports?

thanks before and sorry if this is a stupid question.. and sorry for my bad english :(
Yes - the Model A works fine with the Lapdock. You lose the USB port on the Model A to connect it to the LapDock bit in return can use the LapDock USB ports. If you need additional ports you can attach a USB hub to the LapDock USB ports.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:35 pm

I don't recall seeing anyone discussing this earlier, but just in case someone else stumbles upon this problem, I wanted to post a solution. During this weekend's Raspberry Jam Silicon Valley, I happened to set up my lapdock with an old pre-October 2012 256 MB Model B Pi using just converter cables (no specially-soldered adapter cables), and I was surprised that the lapdock keyboard wasn't responding. I had always used a 512 MB Pi with the lapdock before (that had the factory polyfuse/conductor substitution), so I went through the logical steps to isolate the problem.

I tried swapping out each component and eliminated the board as the source of the issue (it worked with a separate monitor and keyboard plugged into it), the female micro-USB-to-female-USB-A cable (I was smart enough to buy spares when making slow-boat-from-China orders), and had powered the board using a separate micro-USB cable to an external power adapter. I finally tried using a Blackberry micro-USB power/data splitter cable to isolate the USB data lines between the lapdock and the micro-USB-to-female-USB-A cable that normally was connected directly to the lapdock's male micro-USB connector, and the lapdock keyboard began working.

I haven't traced the power paths, but I'm guessing that the polyfuse on the Pi's USB power line may be the problem and I'll try shorting the polyfuse to see if that has any effect. I was actually surprised that the Pi remained powered up and running fine while I was swapping cables around and only had the lapdock's micro-USB-to-USB A cable connected to one of the Pi's USB ports, but without the external power adapter cable attached to the Pi board's micro-USB power connector. I wouldn't think this was just a power issue affecting the keyboard since I had an external power supply connected to the board and especially since the keyboard is powered by the lapdock itself.

Hope this helps someone.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

johnbeetem

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Jim Manley wrote:I haven't traced the power paths, but I'm guessing that the polyfuse on the Pi's USB power line may be the problem and I'll try shorting the polyfuse to see if that has any effect. I was actually surprised that the Pi remained powered up and running fine while I was swapping cables around and only had the lapdock's micro-USB-to-USB A cable connected to one of the Pi's USB ports, but without the external power adapter cable attached to the Pi board's micro-USB power connector. I wouldn't think this was just a power issue affecting the keyboard since I had an external power supply connected to the board and especially since the keyboard is powered by the lapdock itself.
You do need to bypass USB polyfuse F1 or F2 on those early Model B's. Usually the 140 mA polyfuse prevents RasPi from booting, often by aborting the boot process part way through as the SoC demands more current. It's peculiar that your RasPi was able to boot successfully. Maybe the voltage drop across F1/F2 was enough to keep the LAN9512 from powering up which prevented the total current demand from blowing the fuse, which was probably out of spec.

On my RasPi I replaced F1/F2 with fast-blow 1A surface-mount fuses. That way I still get fuse protection when connecting to Lapdock with a single USB cable.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 pm

johnbeetem wrote:You do need to bypass USB polyfuse F1 or F2 on those early Model B's. Usually the 140 mA polyfuse prevents RasPi from booting, often by aborting the boot process part way through as the SoC demands more current. It's peculiar that your RasPi was able to boot successfully. Maybe the voltage drop across F1/F2 was enough to keep the LAN9512 from powering up which prevented the total current demand from blowing the fuse, which was probably out of spec.

On my RasPi I replaced F1/F2 with fast-blow 1A surface-mount fuses. That way I still get fuse protection when connecting to Lapdock with a single USB cable.
I was perplexed that it could boot but not be able to use the lapdock keyboard as the keyboard wasn't powered by the Pi, but by the lapdock. I'll bet that it was because the Pi was already booted while powered via the external micro-USB power port, the wired LAN wasn't being used, the GPU wasn't being exercised (other than the HDMI video generator and the 2D color gradient I assume the blob briefly displays before OS boot), and X wasn't running via LXDE yet, which would have maxed out CPU current draw as X was starting. I couldn't do anything because I couldn't log into the Pi with either the lapdock keyboard or an external one. I can try pegging the CPU and GPU as well as connecting the LAN port to max out current use without the external power connection via the Pi's micro-USB connector and see what happens to the board's ability to operate.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

Mortimer

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Well...

I am very pleased.

This has been posted from the Raspberry Pi connected to a Motorola Atrix 4G lapdock.

The lapdock itself arrived very quickly, I had to wait several weeks for the various bits and pieces I ordered from eBay to arrived though, and the final piece arrived today.

None of the pieces were modified in any way, simply plug in and go.

In addition to the lapdock I ordered:

microHDMI to microHDMI extension cable.
microHDMI female to HDMI male adapter.
microUSB to microUSB extension cable.
microUSB female to USB male adapter.

The adapters are plugged directly into the Raspberry Pi. The Pi is being powered via the USB lead connected directly into one of the main USB ports, which works because this one doesn't have the polyfuses. I wonder how long the whole kit and kaboodle will run on the lapdock's battery?

Works really well. I'm very impressed by the screen quality. The keyboard is taking a little getting used to, as the keys feel a little small, although this is an illusion as the Q and P keys seem about the same distance apart as my MacBook Pro 17" keyboard. The trackpad is OK, it little sluggish. The mouse settings in the preferences for LXDE don't seem to have much affect. The other thing is a little pet hate of mine, which is the tap-to-click. I always turn this off on any laptop I use, but can't with this.

Anyway, as I said, very happy and it is a start.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Jim Manley

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Mortimer wrote:I wonder how long the whole kit and kaboodle will run on the lapdock's battery?
You should be able to get a minimum of about three hours of use running the Pi full-bore, e.g., continuous keyboard and trackpad activity, GPU and CPU fully utilized, WiFi adapter transceiving continuously, etc. I routinely get over six-and-a-half hours of use with lower-demand tasks such as editing text files, command line activity, and light WiFi network activity such as e-mail and browsing and posting to primarily text-oriented sites such as the forum here. I generally run it indoors in moderate lighting with the display at about 50% brightness, which is a big factor - full brightness will consume battery life much faster on any device. That's all with a 512 MB Model B, and a Model A should be able to run at least 30% longer since it doesn't have the LAN/USB interface integrated circuit and only has 256 MB of RAM.

The batteries in the lapdock are modern Lithium-polymer which provide an outstanding energy/weight ratio, as no other battery technology comes in a form factor so thin as to be able to even fit in the lapdock's minimal lower half of the case. The batteries alone are worth more than what most of us have paid for the entire lapdock.

BernardUK

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:09 am

Oh woe.

Newly arrived: Lapdock, Pi model B rev 2 and cables. All worked first time with newly loaded NOOBS SD cards and without any changes in, for example, config.txt parameters, BUT now the Pi's HDMI output doesn't work either to the Lapdock or indeed to the ordinary monitor which I use with my Pi model B rev 1.

The only experiment I tried after the success and before the failure was to connect the ethernet port while the Pi was powered via the Lapdock's USB connection. Could that have affected HDMI output? If not, what else might have happened?

Jim Manley

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:57 am

BernardUK wrote:Oh woe.
Newly arrived: Lapdock, Pi model B rev 2 and cables. All worked first time with newly loaded NOOBS SD cards and without any changes in, for example, config.txt parameters, BUT now the Pi's HDMI output doesn't work either to the Lapdock or indeed to th ordinary monitor which I use with my Pi model B rev 1.
The only experiment I tried after the success and before the failure was to connect the ethernet port while the Pi was powered via the Lapdock's USB connection. Could that have affected HDMI output? If not, what else might have happened?
Using wired Ethernet does increase power consumption from the USB/Ethernet controller device (the smaller black square between the system-on-a-chip (SoC) and the USB and Ethernet ports), but that shouldn't cause a problem with HDMI, much less change the software configuration to a bad state. Can you see what the Pi is doing by logging in via ssh or using the composite video port?

If you have a spare card, or haven't made many changes to the original card, try creating another card from scratch and see whether things work again, as that will isolate the problem as being software or hardware. It is possible, but not likely, that the HDMI port has failed after such a short period of time (e.g., a marginal solder joint that has opened up due to insertion/extraction of cables). The basic troubleshooting procedure is to try swapping everything, one-by-one, preferably working from a known working state (e.g., starting with a fresh card again).

I would start any testing using the monitor, etc., and not the lapdock, plugging in the Ethernet after everything else checks out. Only after that's all working would I shift things over to the lapdock to continue testing.

Astarta

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:37 am

By the way, just ordered one here for $39.99, sale only 2 days http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Droi ... 33837ad377
I hope raspberry will fit into the hole for the phone, anyone tried?
Want to make a portable terminal for managing robots when I am away from the network somewhere out of the town, I usually connect via ssh at home.

Mortimer

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 pm

A friend of mine runs a coffee shop across the road from where I work. I frequently go there for lunch, and get updates from him on his automotive projects, like his chip-fat powered Jeep Cherokee. I thought it about time I subjected him to one of my hobbies, so rather than my usual iPad, I popped over armed with my lapdock and Raspberry Pi.

So here I sit in a cafe, drinking caffe latte and browsing the Internet.

It works well enough, but I am finding I miss the trackpad gestures, particularly for scrolling through webpages. The tap-to-click still annoys me, but I'm gradually getting used to it.

It would be nice to have a nice neat purpose built cable that connects between the lapdock and the Raspberry Pi, rather than the hotch-potch of cables I currently have. Even a case that is designed to slot into the lapdock cradle would be great. In the meantime I would settle for knowing whether or not there are any Linux mouse/trackpad drivers than might make the use of the lapdock trackpad a little more pleasant?
--------------

basketballnerd

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Isnt it possible that could connect the keyboard and the power through usb. The lapdock has 2 usb ports and so does the raspberry pi and the lapdock has its own batty pi so you could charge the lapdock and the pi all at once because the rasppbery pi would feed off of the lapdock battery and hdmi adapters would connect the screens. the only problem is how to mount it stylishly on the lapdock i was thinking of putting it on the bottom and put rubber stoppers on it and it would be out of sight and so would the cables.

Mortimer

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Yes it does. I only use two cables to connect the Raspberry Pi to the lapdock. One USB and one HDMI.
--------------

BernardUK

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks to Jim Manley for his advice, though I'm being a bit slow at following it up owing to the demands of garden sunshine and Wimbledon. And now there's a trip to Scotland to delay further work, but ... I vill be back!

Lob0426

Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:01 am

I am still using my USB/power "Y" cable I made for the ver. 1.0 RasPi, I originally used on my Lapdock. It has a switch to turn off the RasPi. I really need to update now that I have a ver. 2.0 on it!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Jim Manley

Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:33 am

BernardUK wrote:Thanks to Jim Manley for his advice, though I'm being a bit slow at following it up owing to the demands of garden sunshine and Wimbledon. And now there's a trip to Scotland to delay further work, but ... I vill be back!
Take your time - it is Summer vacation, after all! Wimbledon must be exciting as all get out this year, given the number of fresh new faces who have been trouncing The Annointed Few of Yesteryear. And to get to Scotland for any reason ... well, now you're just making me jealous, although I will be trading the built-in air conditioning of Monterey Bay for a week helping high school kids integrate sensor/computing/comm packages that they've been building during the past school year, into rockets capable of reaching 70,000 - 100,000 feet above a dry lake bed South of historic Edwards Air Force Base. At least I managed to avoid the past week of planetary record high temperatures in that area - it will only be in the low 100s instead of the high 120s - but it will be a "dry" heat. Yeah, riiiiight!!! I'm looking for a 10-foot wide sombrero this weekend ... :lol:

Return to “General discussion”