7ewis

TellStick Tutorial

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:28 am

I am looking to buy a TellStick (http://www.telldus.se/products/tellstick) to connect to some RF Plugs (Probably Nexa), but I can't find any good English tutorials. There seems to be a few German tutorials, but I don't want to rely on them, as obviously a Google Translate may not be perfect, and some commands may be wrong.

Has anyone used a TellStick? Do you know of a good tutorial?
Raspberry Pi - Model B (512MB)

mba

Re: TellStick Tutorial

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:46 am

Hi,

maybe you don't need a TellStick to achieve your goal? I Just succeeded in using a very cheap RF tranmistter <$2 from ebay to control some 433MHz RF outlets using rcswitch-pi. I wrote a small tutorial here.

Best regards
Martin
AMOTE - a LIRC client for Android. Build your own Android-based universal remote.

7ewis

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:09 am

mba wrote:Hi,

maybe you don't need a TellStick to achieve your goal? I Just succeeded in using a very cheap RF tranmistter <$2 from ebay to control some 433MHz RF outlets using rcswitch-pi. I wrote a small tutorial here.

Best regards
Martin
I have looked into using an RF Transmitter, but I don't know how to connect things to the GPIO pins, and from what I have seen, they seem to be less reliable.

How good is the range of what you created, can it control more than one socket?

mba

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:53 am

The tutorial has instructions on how to connect it to your gpio pins.
The module itself has very limited range <1m, but if you solder an antenna of 17.3cm to the hole labeled antenna on the transmitter I have no problem controlling an outlet in our bedroom from our Livingroom >8m through two closed doors.
Until now I have 100% succesrate controlling 3 different outlets, they never fail to react to a command.
AMOTE - a LIRC client for Android. Build your own Android-based universal remote.

7ewis

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 am

mba wrote:The tutorial has instructions on how to connect it to your gpio pins.
The module itself has very limited range <1m, but if you solder an antenna of 17.3cm to the hole labeled antenna on the transmitter I have no problem controlling an outlet in our bedroom from our Livingroom >8m through two closed doors.
Until now I have 100% succesrate controlling 3 different outlets, they never fail to react to a command.
I saw, but I don't actually know what you do. Can I connect the transmitter directly into the pins, or do I need wires? Do I need to solder anything? I have zero electronics knowledge. I read in other tutorials, that I may need a resistor etc. as well?

Would you recommend this method over the USB method, even for a noob?

mba

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:39 am

The only thing you need to solder is the antenna cable to the small hole on the transmitter board. When connecting the board to your Raspberry Pi I would recommend using a set of female jumper cables. You can get them on ebay here. It would be a shame to solder something directly to the pins of the Raspberry Pi. Whether I would recommend this to a newbie or not depends on the person, but I would guess that when you ventured into the world of Raspberry Pi you must posses some interest in tinkering around with software and hardware :-)
I was looking at TellStick myself a year ago, but I like to keep it as simple and cheap as possible. Here in Denmark they are kind of hard to come by and they cost about $80 compared to the ebay RF transmitter modules pricetag of less than $2.

7ewis

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:00 pm

mba wrote:The only thing you need to solder is the antenna cable to the small hole on the transmitter board. When connecting the board to your Raspberry Pi I would recommend using a set of female jumper cables. You can get them on ebay here. It would be a shame to solder something directly to the pins of the Raspberry Pi. Whether I would recommend this to a newbie or not depends on the person, but I would guess that when you ventured into the world of Raspberry Pi you must posses some interest in tinkering around with software and hardware :-)
I was looking at TellStick myself a year ago, but I like to keep it as simple and cheap as possible. Here in Denmark they are kind of hard to come by and they cost about $80 compared to the ebay RF transmitter modules pricetag of less than $2.
Okay, the TellStick is out of stock everywhere in the UK. So I think I may go down your method instead. It's definitely cheaper!

So just to be clear, if I buy an RF Transmitter I connect it to the Pi with a jumper cable? How does that actually attach to the Pi and transmitter if I don't need to solder it? Will I need a breadboard or anything?

Also, I plan to use a webserver to control it. Can I run the commands to control the switches in Python?

Return to “General discussion”