cport47

resale and the elderly

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 pm

this may sound weird but recently a few classmates and i decided to try to market the raspberry pi to the elderly in my general county who want a cheap, portable, quiet computer that they can use to check email, bother the grandkids, and enjoy the internet without the worry of viruses. is there a wine software to boot netflix on the pi, and what kind of case do i need to invest in

jbeale

Re: resale and the elderly

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:01 am

The R-Pi can be used a low-powered general computer, if you're patient. It supports several different versions of XBMC so you can have a media center and look at YouTube videos, etc. but there is no netflix directly on the Pi, and no usable windows emulator for it, being an ARMv6 CPU.

You can actually see Netflix on the Pi in a clumsy way by using a regular Windows PC as an intermediate server, but I don't think that meets your goal.

Quinny

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:15 am

You would need a case that is slim and 'elegant'
most elderly people are insecure about computers and what is a reasonable price,
talk about what the person is getting, what it means to have a 'Linux computer'.
Even giving them an option for you to set it up for free, anything to make this seem legitimate and reasonable encourages a person to buy your product.
and for heavens sake, please don't install 'raspbian' and leave it be. if possible, overclock it and set it up for this person so it is set to go.
also include the keyboard and mouse, this makes them more likely to buy the Pi.
I'm sorry for rambling, but i like to go a bit far with my posts :)

4thdwarflord

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:20 am

By the time you have overcome all the problems with making it portable, your probably better off with a chromebook - not that i dont like the pi, but the chromebook is a baetter solution

cport47

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 pm

thanks for the insight ill be sure to look into some solutions

sav25
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:17 pm

4thdwarflord wrote:By the time you have overcome all the problems with making it portable, your probably better off with a chromebook - not that i dont like the pi, but the chromebook is a baetter solution
Couldn't agree more, cheap, simple and foolproof.

Return to “General discussion”