JVM

Create small SD card images on Windows

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:57 am

I've been using Win32 Disk Imager and it works fine but it also images free space . For example for a 8GB SD card with 1GB of used space it creates a 8GB image that includes the undesired 7GB of free space on the SD card.

Are there any programs that will create an image of only the used space, eg 1GB?

JoeDaStudd

Re: Create small SD card images on Windows

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Windows is fussy and will only see a single partition on remove able devices ie SD cards which makes it next to impossible.
I found the easiest way was to use gparted live or ubuntu live on a CD or usb stick saves a lot of hassle trying to get windows to see the partition then resize it.

DeanC

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:30 pm

JVM wrote:Are there any programs that will create an image of only the used space, eg 1GB?
If you are using the Raspbian, I have a script that will take an existing .img file and shrink it to it's smallest size. You can get the script here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 91&t=58069
We 'idiot proofed' the world, and now it's full of idiots!

JVM

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, before I dig out my Ubuntu live CDs, can the image that Win32 Disk Imager creates be shrunk, eg. following the example in OP, create the image that is 8GB then use another program to shrink it to 1GB in Windows?

And one other question I thought of reading DeanC's script, if I shrunk an Openelec XBMC image, is there a way of expanding the image again when it's back on the SD card? I was thinking maybe copying the raspi-config from Raspbian and run it on Openelec?

Return to “General discussion”