wolfen69

Images in downloads section

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:46 am

I noticed while in the downloads section that some of the "images" are not in image format. For example, I downloaded the OpenElec file and it is called "OpenELEC-RPi.arm-3.2.0.tar". But when you extract it, it just creates a folder, not an image file. I found another site that has the openelec image files and it was called "OpenELEC-RPi.arm-3.2.0.img.tar", notice the img in the file name. When I extracted it, it was a proper image file that could be put on an sd card.

But the arch and rapbmc files in the downloads section have img in the name, making them proper image files. Why is this?

JustThisGuy

Re: Images in downloads section

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:30 am

OpenELEC is not an ISO image.
<br>
Installation instructions are here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Insta ... spberry_Pi
<br>
I'm not clear as to why.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

wolfen69

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:52 am

I read all the instructions thank you. It says to unzip the .tar file, use dd or windows app to get it on an SD disk. I wound up finding a different openelec image file and using windows. Worked fine. I'd just like to know why some of the "images" are not images.

wolfen69

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:59 am

JustThisGuy wrote:OpenELEC is not an ISO image.
<br>
Installation instructions are here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Insta ... spberry_Pi
<br>
I'm not clear as to why.
I never thought it was an ISO , second re-read my post. I followed all instructions to a T. I used to have a computer repair business, and am very versed in linux. I'm not stupid.

JustThisGuy

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:37 pm

Excuse me, I mis-spoke. It is not an image. it is not moved to the SD card with dd or its Window's equivalent. It is a directory tree and is moved to the SD card with sync (or its equiv.).

You might want to click the link I provided.

Good bye.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

Return to “General discussion”