gordon@drogon.net

Farnell's Delivery Means ... FYI

Fri May 25, 2012 8:32 am

I got the "Your Pi has been shipped" email from Farnell on Tueseday (22nd May) Seeing as their website suggests they use UPS, I waited in on Weds... Nothing. I called them yesterday to be told they they're using 2nd class parcel post and it could take from 5-7 days to deliver - no signature needed :(

So just be aware that when you get the magical email from Farnell, it's not quite there yet and a little more patience is needed!

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

DavidBullock

Re: Farnell's Delivery Means ... FYI

Fri May 25, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks for the heads up. I was unsure what method they would be using. I was hoping there would be a method of tracking. No doubt I will get a little red card saying sorry they have missed me because they deliver parcels after 9am, which is a ludicrous time for delivery to a home address in my eyes.
Oh well.

godFather89

Fri May 25, 2012 9:00 am

Been there.

I sent them a mail about not having a tracking number for my PI and they told me the Pi is sent via regular mail. In the purchase history, it appears that it's sent with UPS so I sent another email asking why don't they notice the shipping method for the Pi and why is the same price (for UPS or regular mail).
In my country there is another problem with regular mail. You can't pick up the package if it's sent to other address than the one you are living at. Of course, I was not home so I ordered it at another address to find out that I can not pick up the package :twisted: .
Who was to blame? (... Farnell) :x
Anyway, Farnell did not respond to my second email (I sent it a couple of times)....

I bribed the workers at the postal office so that I could pick up my Pi. :?

remondo

Fri May 25, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for that, I was told mine had been shipped on Tuesday too and was wondering where it had got to. I live a few hundred metres away from Farnell but it only took 3 months to get here! I suppose shipping was free but it would have been quicker for me to just go and get it. Hopefully today's the day I can see if my Pi really does blend! Mmm silicone smoothie...

ArborealSeer

Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 am

I got the same email, at the same time, and mine made it to rural somerset yesterday. So fingers crossed guys.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

spurious

Fri May 25, 2012 10:02 am

Yea.. just this minute got the Farnell R-Pi...
Very minimal packaging .. surprised it's not damaged.
Actually.. not had time to switch it on yet, but visual inspection looks intact.
Comes in a thin cardboard box, just that size of the R-Pi, so no padding.
with a thin aroFol envelope around it, pushed through the letterbox.

gordon@drogon.net

Fri May 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Just to follow up - Got my Farnell Pi today. So Order processed and shipped Tuesday, arrive Friday by 2nd class letter post. So that's about what to expect ;-)

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

spurious

Sat May 26, 2012 7:23 am

Just tried the Farnell R-Pi..... and.... the Ethernet isn't working... I will hunt for dry joints as I can compare with the one I have from RS that works perfectly, probably because that one was packaged properly.
:roll:

spurious

Sat May 26, 2012 8:31 am

phew... all working now... good job I can use soldering iron... come on Farnell package you stuff properly!!

davez

Sat May 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Got mine yesterday, signed and delivered!

Although, left at the reception so not my signature. Someone signed it with my last name.
http://blog.davido.me General tech site

0rphu

Sat May 26, 2012 2:24 pm

So it's delivered by regular mail? If I knew that, I'd request them to send it to my home address, not the office one... I'm wondering how will the postman find me in the building. Maybe he'll just leave it at the reception. Maybe he already did. Or he'll take it back to the post office and will leave a note at the reception. Maybe he already did. And since the office address is not the one written on my ID card, I might not get to the package. Ever. I could try bribing the postman, like the colleague from Romania did, but with my luck, I'd get charged with bribery and would go to jail, where I could write a book about it. A thousand pages titled "Pi and punishment". Geez, I just wanted a $35 gizmo. So far I've payed $50 and I still don't have it.

ianjcraven

Sat May 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Mine arrived this morning from Farnell and I have to say I was very excited! Although have been out all day enjoying the sun skills not had a chance to power up and see if it works.

One thing I didn't like though was the very crappy packaging. Flimsy cardboard box in a very thin jiffy envelope. Hopefully the one coming from RS will be packaged a little better :-)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Farnell's website describes their standard delivery service as "usually next working day", in practice this seems to mean they send it by either UPS or first class post. Unfortunately they often seem to miss the last posting time for first class post.

Does anyone have any actual pictures showing them using second class post?

grumpyoldgit

Sat May 26, 2012 4:32 pm

plugwash wrote:Farnell's website describes their standard delivery service as "usually next working day", in practice this seems to mean they send it by either UPS or first class post. Unfortunately they often seem to miss the last posting time for first class post.

Does anyone have any actual pictures showing them using second class post?
My Pi came from Farnell on Friday by Royal Mail Second Class.

ScoobyDoo

Sat May 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Not by my Pc to upload a photo at the min. Mine was delivered yesterday, 2nd class post all over the front of the jiffy bag. If no one beats me to it I'll upload a photo of the packaging tomorrow when I get chance

davez

Sat May 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Yeah, not sure if someone misunderstood my post. Mine came with UPS and had to be signed to get it, the person who takes care of packages at our office signed mine.
http://blog.davido.me General tech site

SANGER_A2

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:33 am

I'm in the same boat, rang them today after being told it was posted over a week ago. This is the most annoying thing about the whole sending via second-class post thing:-

On the order there's no tracking number etc as there should be. So I get shoddy second-class post instead of the free, safe next day I should be getting. It seems all the Raspberry-Pi customers at Farnell are getting a much lower level or service than someone who orders other things from them:-

SANGER_A2

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 am

Not sure why the images are shown smaller than they are. If you view just the images they are actually readable! First. Second.

Montala

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:46 am

SANGER_A2 wrote:Not sure why the images are shown smaller than they are. If you view just the images they are actually readable! First. Second.
If you 'right-click' on the images and then select "Open image in new tab" they are displayed larger!

When you do receive your Pi, which will hopefully be today, I will be interested to hear if you receive a tee-shirt also?

SANGER_A2

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Montala wrote:
SANGER_A2 wrote:Not sure why the images are shown smaller than they are. If you view just the images they are actually readable! First. Second.
If you 'right-click' on the images and then select "Open image in new tab" they are displayed larger!

When you do receive your Pi, which will hopefully be today, I will be interested to hear if you receive a tee-shirt also?
The images thing is only Chrome. I assumed a lot of the people using this forum would be using IE or if they have installed Chrome they would be the sort of person who would do that automatically!

I should get a T-shirt I hope. I put the code in the box!

Montala

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Yes indeed... I use Chrome myself... and I did! ;)

Hope it comes soon anyway! :)

Return to “General discussion”