Raidersan

Re: Quake 3 Arena at 60 FPS

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:05 pm

Spot on, I found a settings deep into the menus of my TV... Now on to adjust all my other sources back to this new setting!! Thanks for the help.

Sid Icarus

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:22 pm

What do i need to do to run it on the newest raspbian?
When i launch ./start.sh i get a permission denied.
When i add sudo i get "Command not found"

Lob0426

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:41 am

Sid Icarus wrote:What do i need to do to run it on the newest raspbian?
When i launch ./start.sh i get a permission denied.
When i add sudo i get "Command not found"
I had the same problem. There is not a start.sh in the newer version. Copy it from the older version and you should be up and running
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

eLJay

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:44 am

texy wrote:Anyway it stops part way through with a fatal error - GLES/gl.h: no such file or directory compilation terminated.
Texy
I had similar issues, what I found was the Class 10 SD card I was using started to get errors when I used the Turbo mode on Raspian (it had previously worked on the normal 700mhz mode), so I tried a Class 6 card I had earmarked as a backup option and it worked perfectly.

Worth a try.

fourdee4d

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 am

Not tried this on the pi yet, but from years of playing it on the PC, i do remember these settings for max FPS. They might help you get some more FPS:

General GFX
r_subdivisions=999
(reduces the polygon count in curves of the maps, higher setting = more performance)

r_picmip=2-4
(basically mipmap setting, if i remember correctly 4 is best performance but textures will be non-existent)

cg_forceModel=1
(forces enemies to use your model. Less memory usage and polygon counts on the screen)

cg_forceEnemyModel "tankjr"
(forces enemies to use a specific model, this used to be the most popular due to size and sound awareness)

Network
cl_maxpackets=20
(network setting, might help local games, higher packets = more cpu usage. This also applies to solo/local games, a server is created)

snaps=20
(maximum number of 'snapshots' that you wish to receive from the server per second, This also applies to solo/local games, a server is created)
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

simonlc

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:04 pm

fourdee4d wrote:Not tried this on the pi yet, but from years of playing it on the PC, i do remember these settings for max FPS. They might help you get some more FPS:

General GFX
r_subdivisions=999
(reduces the polygon count in curves of the maps, higher setting = more performance)

r_picmip=2-4
(basically mipmap setting, if i remember correctly 4 is best performance but textures will be non-existent)

cg_forceModel=1
(forces enemies to use your model. Less memory usage and polygon counts on the screen)

cg_forceEnemyModel "tankjr"
(forces enemies to use a specific model, this used to be the most popular due to size and sound awareness)

Network
cl_maxpackets=20
(network setting, might help local games, higher packets = more cpu usage. This also applies to solo/local games, a server is created)

snaps=20
(maximum number of 'snapshots' that you wish to receive from the server per second, This also applies to solo/local games, a server is created)
999 is much too high for subdivisions. Not sure what I have in the configs, I linked, but it's more reasonable. When you have it that high, you can actually walk inside the curves on some maps. Picmip does almost nothing performance wise, you can easily leave it at 1, but 0 looks nicer, and hardly drops your fps. I didn't test force model, as I didn't think it would improve performance, and that most people on the Pi wouldn't use that feature anyway. I personally prefer keel over tank jr. :D
I didn't mess with the network settings iirc, I'll have to reinstall and check those out, thanks. Though I can't say I think I'll see any fps improvements at all from it. Check out my config, the big things mostly have to do with render settings, not so much the graphical settings.

fury

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:33 pm

I am finding a few graphical glitches, nothing too terrible but I would like to try and track them down. Like the portal at the bottom of DM7 that shows the area with the plasma gun. It's showing the whole hallway, not just the piece that would be visible through the portal window in normal Quake 3. There are also some things where the 3d icons actually disappear behind a wall if you're up close to it, or your gun shows up over them. I'm not sure what causes that.

Overall I'm very impressed by my Pi. Great bang for the buck ;)

I recorded a demo in DM7 with all of the bots added, an entire match to fraglimit 20. Then I started benchmarking like the good old days.

Group 1 mode 3 720x480, and Lilliput 669GL touchscreen monitor set to DVI mode (so that it doesn't overscan). Wish I could figure out how to get sound with the monitor in DVI mode.

All graphics settings are high except in test 6

1. No overclock: 26.9 fps
2. Modest overclock: 31.5fps
3. Medium overclock: 35.2fps
5. High overclock: 38.6fps
6. 5 + r_vertexlight 1: 45.1 fps

I was going to try a few other things, but I am still running into current limit reboots, so I'm going to find the highest overclock I can do without overvolting and then disable the current limit reboot. I have a beefy power supply that should easily do at least 2 amps.

Anyone know how to get rid of the 60 FPS cap, or the 4x AA? I don't really need AA on a screen this small...

dextrus

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 pm

eLJay wrote:
texy wrote:Anyway it stops part way through with a fatal error - GLES/gl.h: no such file or directory compilation terminated.
Texy
I had similar issues, what I found was the Class 10 SD card I was using started to get errors when I used the Turbo mode on Raspian (it had previously worked on the normal 700mhz mode), so I tried a Class 6 card I had earmarked as a backup option and it worked perfectly.

Worth a try.
This is very unlikely to be a card error. The error is because it can't find the file gl.h, so it's likely to be a compilation error. Are you running make with the correct settings? Do you have gl.h on your file system (perhaps you haven't installed all pre-requisites). I suspect you are trying to build for the wrong platform myself (so perhaps have downloaded the code from the wrong "branch" or have not specified the correct parameters), but I haven't looked at this project in a few months.

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

jbeige

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:29 pm

I got Quake 3 to build on my pi, and it seems to run.. But my primary display is a Lilliput 7" USB monitor. I was hoping to get Quake to play on it, but it doesn't seem to cooperate. It pushes the graphics to the RCA port instead of showing them on the USB monitor. I used this site to help get my display set up. Does anyone know if there's a way to make Q3 play on it?

Thanks!

Vindicator

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:06 pm

I have looked at several of these USB displays and their access time is 30ms or worse I am not sure that Quake will look very good on these type displays and throw in that the Raspi does not give exclusive access to the USB bus to any one device.
The amount of lag of the display along with all the other USB demands might be why it is trying to push it to another more dedicated port.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

DavidS

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Strange; When running Quake 3 when it first came out, on a AMD 486DX4 @120MHz with a 3DFX Voodoo 2 graphis adaptor, and 64MB 15ns RAM (A high end system at te time) I whas abe to get 46FPS in the time demo's. How is it then that a computer like the RPi that is so much more powerfull in terms of CPU, GPU, RAM speed, and RAM size is running the same game so much slower? It should b possible to clock the ARM back to 200MHz, the GPU and core to ~100MHz, the RAM o 100MHz and still get 60FPS. What am I missing?
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

simonlc

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm

DavidS wrote:Strange; When running Quake 3 when it first came out, on a AMD 486DX4 @120MHz with a 3DFX Voodoo 2 graphis adaptor, and 64MB 15ns RAM (A high end system at te time) I whas abe to get 46FPS in the time demo's. How is it then that a computer like the RPi that is so much more powerfull in terms of CPU, GPU, RAM speed, and RAM size is running the same game so much slower? It should b possible to clock the ARM back to 200MHz, the GPU and core to ~100MHz, the RAM o 100MHz and still get 60FPS. What am I missing?
That's not how computers work.

DavidS

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 pm

I am aware of that. My point was that a 104MIPS x86 CPU with a far inferior GPU for all things that Quake 3 uses runs Quake 3 faster than a 624MIPS (Both measured by raw opcode execution times for all opcodes, then the average of he most commonly used is taken with the average of the less used weigted to the more used ) with a far superior GPU. Also RAM access speed and bus speed do make a difference.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm

DavidS wrote:Strange; When running Quake 3 when it first came out, on a AMD 486DX4 @120MHz with a 3DFX Voodoo 2 graphis adaptor, and 64MB 15ns RAM (A high end system at te time) I whas abe to get 46FPS in the time demo's. How is it then that a computer like the RPi that is so much more powerfull in terms of CPU, GPU, RAM speed, and RAM size is running the same game so much slower? It should b possible to clock the ARM back to 200MHz, the GPU and core to ~100MHz, the RAM o 100MHz and still get 60FPS. What am I missing?
Pretty sure your 486 wasn't running at 1080p.

Narishma

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:44 pm

You weren't running Quake 3 at 1080p with 4x MSAA (the default settings on the Pi) back then and you certainly weren't getting 60 FPS with those specs. I doubt the game would even run on that machine, perhaps you are thinking of an older game like Quake World?

DavidS

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:02 am

Ok te screen resolution was 800x600x16BPP. Quake would run on a low end 486, Quake 2 on a 66MHz 486 and quake three on that machine. Actualy that macine whas quite fast back when Quake 3 came out. I built the fastest game system around to run quake 3 fast (and that fast game system is what is specked in my first post in this thread). Thus if that machine would not run it none of the common store baught machines would either :) . Remember that the AMD 486DX4 at 120MHz outperformed the InTel Pentim P5 133MHz (the fastest InTel brand x86 chip on the market at the time).

Though I would ave a dificult time believing that you ae trying to run quake 3 at 1920x1080. 1024x768, or 1280x720 (the second for 16:9) would make more sence.

Narishma

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:56 am

I still think you're confusing Quake 3 with an older game. Quake 3 came out at the end of 1999. It's minimum system requirements according to the box I have in front of me were a Pentium MMX at 233 Mhz and 64 MB of RAM. At the time it came I had a Celeron running at 500 Mhz with 128 MB of RAM and a Voodoo (Banshee?) card and had trouble running the game smoothly at 800x600.

DavidS

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Quake 3 came out at the end of 1999. It's minimum system requirements according to the box I have in front of me were a Pentium MMX at 233 Mhz and 64 MB of RAM. At the time it came I had a Celeron running at 500 Mhz with 128 MB of RAM and a Voodoo (Banshee?) card and had trouble running the game smoothly at 800x600.
So you are saying that Windoze 98 came out in 2001, because I was playing CTF in Q3A for over a year before win98. I think that you may be confusing it with unreal turnament. I still have my original id Soft Quake 3 Areana box, System requirements (from the box Sitting between my monitor and keyboard so I can read it while typing):
  • 100 MHz 486
    MS-DOS 5.0 or later, or Windows 95 in command prompt only.
    Voodoo, Voodoo Bacshee, or Voodoo II 3D Accellerator.
    48MB RAM
or
  • Windows 95
    Pentium 133MHz
    DirectX 3
    64MB RAM
I have heard that later revisions required a bit faster of a system, though I never went beyond the third or fourth patch, because they began to require Winows after that.
I think you must have got one of the later patched versions for DX5+Win98 as that would push the system requirements through the roof.

DavidS

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:28 pm

For those that Are wondering, I bought Quake 3 Arena as soon s it came out for Paid Beta, and it cost $100 for the paid Beta version, id proided patches to bring it all the way up through the standard retail versions, and beyond. As stated above I stopped updating it when the new patches began to require the windows version. For me it does not make any since to run a high end game in a preemptive multiskig enviroment as that would be forcefuly taking pocessor time from the game.

I have not yet taken the time to download the RPi version becase the speeds listed are extremely slow, though I would assume that t is running on bare HW, as trying to run it under one of the Linux/BSD/QNX/Pan 9 distros would be obsurd.

Narishma

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:58 pm

Now you're just trolling. The only beta version of Quake 3 was the one called q3test and was only released online, never as a paid boxed product. And it came out in 1999, only a few months before the release version.

DavidS

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:02 pm

NO THE RELEASE VERSION WHAS IN 1996 or 1997. I know ho to read my box.

DavidS

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Due to all of the people that seem to think that Q3A has much higher system requirements than it does, last night I fired up my old AMD486DX4 120 and ran an old batch file to run a timedemo in Q3A. The result: 43FPS.

Narishma

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:53 pm

DavidS wrote:NO THE RELEASE VERSION WHAS IN 1996 or 1997. I know ho to read my box.
As I said, Quake 3 was released in 1999. Quake 1 was in 1996 and Quake 2 in 1997, that's why I said earlier that you were probably mistaken and thinking about an older Quake game.

DavidS

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:58 pm

It is ok, I kow when it was installed on my 486, I know when it was released, and I know how fast it was.

Since it seems that the Q3A fans here are more interrested in arguing about what was, rather than seeing the point of my first comment and taking the time to optimize the Q3A port on the RPi, I have been turned off of even thinking about Q3A.

ALL THAT I WATED WHAS FOR SOME ONE THAT HAS THE TIME TO DO SO TO LOOK AT THE SOURCE and find the time critical portions, optimize the algorithms in these portions with an eye on the ARMv6 and VFP instruction set with thought to the RP HW, and then rewrite these small portions in hand optimized assembly.

Though I guess that no one here has the time to do this as we all seem to be to bussy arguing about how well it rus on an AMD486DX4 120. Even having ran it last night to prove my memory to myself and getting over 40FPS on the 486: I would ask that we SPEND MORE TIME PROGRAMMING and LESS TIME IN USELESS DEBATE

I must apologize for allowing myself to contribute to the continuation of the debate.

simonlc

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 am

DavidS wrote:It is ok, I kow when it was installed on my 486, I know when it was released, and I know how fast it was.

Since it seems that the Q3A fans here are more interrested in arguing about what was, rather than seeing the point of my first comment and taking the time to optimize the Q3A port on the RPi, I have been turned off of even thinking about Q3A.

ALL THAT I WATED WHAS FOR SOME ONE THAT HAS THE TIME TO DO SO TO LOOK AT THE SOURCE and find the time critical portions, optimize the algorithms in these portions with an eye on the ARMv6 and VFP instruction set with thought to the RP HW, and then rewrite these small portions in hand optimized assembly.

Though I guess that no one here has the time to do this as we all seem to be to bussy arguing about how well it rus on an AMD486DX4 120. Even having ran it last night to prove my memory to myself and getting over 40FPS on the 486: I would ask that we SPEND MORE TIME PROGRAMMING and LESS TIME IN USELESS DEBATE

I must apologize for allowing myself to contribute to the continuation of the debate.
Seems useless to do that. Instead they should allow to turn AA off, and vsync/frame limit. That will easily give a performance boost, bigger than any hand written assembly code will do. Also instead of optimizing q3, I'd like to see a quake world. That game has a great single player, and single player mods.

Return to “General discussion”