Burngate

Re: Launch party?

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 pm

If you're going to have a party on launch night, you're going to have to send out invites before-hand or nobody'll turn up.

Then we'll all know the launch date and sit at home stabbing at the refresh button.

So nobody'll turn up.

crundy

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Burngate said:

If you're going to have a party on launch night, you're going to have to send out invites before-hand or nobody'll turn up.

Then we'll all know the launch date and sit at home stabbing at the refresh button.

So nobody'll turn up.

So a couple of days beforehand then

As someone else mentioned, it wouldn't really be fair to start selling the Pi at a launch party, but it would be a good meet-up and hands-on opportunity.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:48 pm

If you are going to hold a launch party in the UK and want to make it as easy as possible for people to get there I would strongly suggest either birmingham or london as most places in the UK have reasonablly fast train links to those places.

tower

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:54 pm

A handful of Pi's at the Launch doing clever things would be just fine, and London would be better for the Press, no doubt about that grrr.   I used to live near Aberdeen and nothing came that far north, but I do remember the Acorn launch of the RiscPC featuring the then new 'ARM' CPU and what a sensational machine that was, followed by the StrongARM version.   With its modular wedding cake case and 2nd CPU design, years ahead of the times, but as an Acorn Dealer all my customers wanted to know was 'does it run Micro$oft Office sigh...  (It did of course with a 2nd Intel Pentium 100 CPU, but that was not what my customers wanted to hear).   In fact my office machine ran Windows 95 inside a RiscOS Window on demo mode.

Anyway that launch was in London and fabulous it was too, with loads of 'visual' fireworks.   So as I live now in Malta, and I guess Valletta is out of the rekoning, anywhere will do, I just hope I can zoom across to the UK and attend.

Andre_P

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 pm

JamesH said:

Andre_P said:

A launch Party, maybe have a Raspberry Pi controlling the firing of fireworks or any other form of Projectile (USB Missile Launcher anyone  ).

It's a grand idea. Say £30 a ticket that goes to the Foundation and if you are buying a Raspberry PI then buy it there if it's available .

London would be easier I guess, I suspect the press might be a bit happier to have it there.

If not the Groucho (as someone suggested) how about something on the Silicon Roundabout or possibly that place in London that allows people to use various facilities the create projects for a fee, can't remember it's name now.

GPU, designed in Cambridge, CPU, designed in Cambridge, SoC as a whole, designed in Cambridge, RaspberryPi foundation, based in Cambridge.

I'd vote for Cambridge. Dunno why.

Yup perfectly aware of the provenance of all the constituent parts of the Raspberry Pi.

The media seems to have a reluctance to travel, barring Rory Cellan Jones .

Maybe I am overly disillusioned with the Fourth Estate.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Andre_P said:

JamesH said:

Andre_P said:

A launch Party, maybe have a Raspberry Pi controlling the firing of fireworks or any other form of Projectile (USB Missile Launcher anyone  ).

It's a grand idea. Say £30 a ticket that goes to the Foundation and if you are buying a Raspberry PI then buy it there if it's available .

London would be easier I guess, I suspect the press might be a bit happier to have it there.

If not the Groucho (as someone suggested) how about something on the Silicon Roundabout or possibly that place in London that allows people to use various facilities the create projects for a fee, can't remember it's name now.

GPU, designed in Cambridge, CPU, designed in Cambridge, SoC as a whole, designed in Cambridge, RaspberryPi foundation, based in Cambridge.

I'd vote for Cambridge. Dunno why.

Yup perfectly aware of the provenance of all the constituent parts of the Raspberry Pi.

The media seems to have a reluctance to travel, barring Rory Cellan Jones .

Maybe I am overly disillusioned with the Fourth Estate.

They will travel out of London for a  WAG, but not for the future of their children's education. Sad really. education.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Andre_P

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:36 pm

JamesH said:

They will travel out of London for a  WAG, but not for the future of their children's education. Sad really. education. 

Totally agree

liamfraser280

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Train to cambridge is £90 single way... well that's me out

mightygoose

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm

carpool? national express? megabus?

if i could make it to cambridge i would but london would be my limit atm.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm

It'll be in Cambridge, and we think we have a venue lined up - but we won't be organising anything until after we've started sales.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Pi Face

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Yes a launch party would be great

Who cares if the media don't realise they can actually step out of London without melting! It's not the media which will make this a success but by the projects being pursued in the schools and by word of mouth between customers about how great the Raspberry Pi is.

Andre_P

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Excellent news

PhilS

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 pm

So will this be VIP invite only or open to the average idiot to wander in?

crundy

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 pm

PhilS said:

I hope the latter, or else I'll never get in!

pythagoras

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 pm

Crundy said:

PhilS said:

I'm sure only above average idiots will be allowed in

Regards

John

liamfraser280

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 pm

PhilS said:

There can't be any gate crashers. People should have to either sign up before hand or quote some Raspberry Pi factrs to get in haha

TonyHoyle

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 pm

mightygoose said:

carpool? national express? megabus?

if i could make it to cambridge i would but london would be my limit atm.

Only £73 return here, provided it's on a weekend, but takes so long I'd have to add overnight hotel costs to that.. Oh well.

Now if you guys can arrange some kind of twitter/irc/skype conference at the same time, we can all be at the party at once..

solutionmania

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:41 pm

I'm up for a trip to Cambridge! Can't wait to hear the details...

Ian3

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:30 am

I'd be very interested in coming too. Looking forward to an announcement of the details.

jamesh

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:18 am

liz said:

It'll be in Cambridge, and we think we have a venue lined up - but we won't be organising anything until after we've started sales.

Not sure a marquee in your back garden will be big enough.....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jonititan

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Bump

All excited about the release.

Any word on the Launch Party?

timgiles

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Liz,

For the first time, something is happening that makes me wish I hadnt moved to Sweden  Any chance you could look to have a media stream of the 'event' so those of us further a field could see the action and join in raising a glass?

Yes 2 + 5 = 7 - Google just confirmed it

timgiles

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Sorry, just remembered, 1 Gb Up and Down broadband for 40gbp a month.... Phew, and the balance is restored!!

crundy

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:50 pm

And here"s me with my 440kbps up/down broadband
Roll on fttc

garyk1968

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Cambridge would be cool. For those of us growing up in the 70s/80s then Cambridge was *the* place being home to Sinclair and Acorn. By the way if you havent seen it you must check out Micro Men http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n5b92

I work in London and live near Cambridge so either venue would be cool!

Gary

Return to “General discussion”