redhawk

IRC eggdrop bot on PI??

Thu May 24, 2012 11:21 pm

I'm still waiting to get my hands on the PI however I was wondering has anyone attempted to compile eggdrop on an ARM based version of Linux and got it working yet??

Also is there an Android version for PI in the works perhaps a Cyanogenmod derivative??

Richard S.

error404

Re: IRC eggdrop bot on PI??

Fri May 25, 2012 12:29 am

I haven't used it in like a decade, but I'm pretty sure eggdrop is pure C and should work fine. Also IIRC its only dependency is TCL.

See the many other threads on Android.

MixWizard

Wed May 30, 2012 8:31 am

I haven't tried it eggdrop yet, however I can confirm that ctrlproxy and sbnc work without issue on the Pi.

They are both available through apt-get if you want a quick install, but there are source files to compile with as well.

MixWizard

Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 am

Have tried eggdrop overnight and successfully compiled from source. Takes a little configuring after, but runs well.

Because it wont run as root and /root/ isn't accessible, when you run "make install" append "DEST=/home/pi/eggdrop" to install to the pi user. Unless you decide to create a separate user, in which case append with the appropriate home location.

error404

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:21 am

Or you could just run the configure as a normal user, which is what you should be doing anyway ;)

Furyio

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Interesting read

I'm my PI as a 24/7 IRC bouncer. An irc bot would be excellent to have in my channels.

Unfortunately I'm very new to linux and there doesn't appear to be many noob friendly guides to getting bots up and running. Also considering it has been years since I used a bot, I've no idea which ones even work anymore :(
Raspberry Pi Debian Squeeze
IRC channels : #raspi.ie #d3.ie #att #airsofter.ie

solarcomet

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Hey there guys. Getting eggdrop to compile on the Pi is a piece of cake. Whatever you do, it's not recommended to install eggdrop using binary packages. Like error404 said, definitely create a user account for your eggdrop bot to run under. You DO NOT need to be root to compile eggdrop. However, you will need to be root to install some dependencies.

The most important packages you have to install are tcl8.5 AND tcl8.5-dev. If you're using Debian squeeze, here's all you need to do.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install tcl8.5 tcl8.5-dev
This will install all the necessary tcl libs and headers.

Next, create the user you want eggdrop to run under.

adduser username
Now go ahead and login as the user you just created, and complete the remaining steps.

wget http://www.eggheads.org/redirect.php?url=ftp://ftp.eggheads.org/pub/eggdrop/source/1.6/eggdrop1.6.21.tar.gz
Unzip and untar:

tar -zxvf eggdrop1.6.21.tar.gz
Go ahead and change directories to the directory that was just created from untarring this file.

cd ~/eggdrop1.6.21
Now here is the crucial part. You must tell the configure script where your tcl libs and headers are located. Simple as this:

./configure --with-tcllib='/usr/lib/libtcl8.5.so' --with-tclinc='/usr/include/tcl8.5/tcl.h'
Run make config, then make, and finally make install

This will install eggdrop in your /home/username/eggdrop folder. Edit the eggdrop.conf file, and don't forget to run eggdrop -m eggdrop.conf the first time you start the bot.

It only took the Pi a good 13 minutes to "make". Be sure to have plenty of runts by your side. The RPi makes an awesome bot and it will surely impress your IRC friends ;-) Who knows, maybe the Pi will inspire TCL scripters! Good luck.

deanbo

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:43 am

hi
i got an error

bot@raspberrypi ~/eggdrop $ ./eggdrop eggdrop.conf

Eggdrop v1.6.19+SSL (C) 1997 Robey Pointer (C) 2008 Eggheads
*** glibc detected *** ./eggdrop: free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x00439cd8 ***

someone got the same Problem?

Return to “General discussion”