andycewright

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:17 am

Decisions decisions...

PiTFT (320x240 touchscreen) = $35

DSIPi (800x480 touchscreen) = $70 approximately

HDMIPi (1280x800 without touch) = $125

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 am

Don't also forget the Pi display allows multiple full speed display use (you can put your terminal on the LCD but display video on the HDMI display, I don't know yet whether it's easy to set it up to use multiple displays in X but it seems like it should be)

Plus the touchscreen is capacitive and ten point

But obviously I'm biased!

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

andycewright

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:14 am

One could make something like a Nintendo DS where you use one screen to navigate menus and another for videos & gameplay. Even add a camera & Wi-Fi and you could quickly have a DSi...

The Nintendo DS uses an ARM7 (33MHz) and ARM9 (67MHz) processor and displays with 256x192 pixels.

With a 800x480 DSIPi navigation display and a 1280x800 HDMIPi video display running on a ARM11 700MHz processer one could easily blow the WORLDS most successful portable console out the out of the water. Imagine the possibilities if someone were to build a folding case to house the contraption.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:40 pm

andycewright wrote:Decisions decisions...

PiTFT (320x240 touchscreen) = $35

DSIPi (800x480 touchscreen) = $70 approximately

HDMIPi (1280x800 without touch) = $125
What's to decide? You clearly need them all. :)

(Don't forget the HDMIPi KS price is the price delivered (UK) and with the surround/case ;) )
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Jessie

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:32 am

I have a mild interest. I think that having a dual display would be nice for an arcade cab where the touchscreen could contain a list of games and relevant graphics while the main game runs on a good sized monitor.

ceteras

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:21 pm

alexeames wrote: [...]

And here's a pic
If I understand correctly, they have a different blob running on the VC4 that enables DSI and sends the correct initialisation commands for the display. I hope this procedure will be made customisable so others could initialise other displays (when they have their command sets).

I have one question about this: how long would it take for the software part to be released so others could try to duplicate the same effort? IE a firmware with just the port enabled, ready to be configured and send commands.

jamesh

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:30 pm

ceteras wrote: If I understand correctly, they have a different blob running on the VC4 that enables DSI and sends the correct initialisation commands for the display. I hope this procedure will be made customisable so others could initialise other displays (when they have their command sets).
You are correct, it needs new firmware blob for those reasons. As I understand it the relase will be specifically fo the Raspi DSI display - you probably will not be able to customise settings in the first release. There are also issue with being able to expose enough to actually make it workable.
ceteras wrote: I have one question about this: how long would it take for the software part to be released so others could try to duplicate the same effort? IE a firmware with just the port enabled, ready to be configured and send commands.
Your guess is as good as mine - it's a lot of work (to make it customisable) vs just creating one driver for a specific device (which has already been done).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

meigrafd

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:40 am

jamesh wrote: You are correct, it needs new firmware blob for those reasons. As I understand it the relase will be specifically fo the Raspi DSI display - you probably will not be able to customise settings in the first release.
Are Firmware Updates possible which can be updated later like RasperryPI firmware?

And BTW: How much FPS is with the DSIPi possible?

And how much Power (ampere/volts) does it need? additional powersupply?

jamesh

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:21 am

meigrafd wrote:
jamesh wrote: You are correct, it needs new firmware blob for those reasons. As I understand it the relase will be specifically fo the Raspi DSI display - you probably will not be able to customise settings in the first release.
Are Firmware Updates possible which can be updated later like RasperryPI firmware?

And BTW: How much FPS is with the DSIPi possible?

And how much Power (ampere/volts) does it need? additional powersupply?
No idea of power (but likely needs an extra supply), but I think it drives it at 60fps. HDMI certainly does
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

gsh

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:32 am

No we're not going to be releasing code to drive the DSI at a low level, it's just not worth the effort and support burden to give people access to the DSI.

You may think DSI is as simple as something like DPI or I2C or I2S etc but it's not. Firstly you'll need a £30K oscilloscope to debug the problems, secondly you'll need access to very low level control of the bus to talk to the display and thirdly a completely programmable system integrated with the GPIO to handle all the annoying timing issues that you end up with. I have all the documentation and have some experience with doing this stuff and it took me three weeks to do it...

Firmware updates are done through apt-get and rpi-update there is no firmware stored in the display board itself, it's all in the binary blob.

The display runs at 60fps WVGA and can be used at the same time as the HDMI display (and therefore it is capable of dual head, demo coming soon...)

The display takes around 500mA (5V) at full brightness so yes you do need a separate power supply for the display.

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

ceteras

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:10 pm

You can see an example of DSI reverse enineering work in this playlist from mikeselectricstuff youtube channel.
Mike has reversed engineered an ipod nano DSI display and managed to interface it with his own circuitry.
His job was not really the same as connecting one such display to a raspbberry pi, but close enough.
He has a lot of expensive equipment and a lot of experience and was well-paid to do that job.
It would take one guy like him plus a team of experienced kernel developers to get the same working on the Pi.
Too bad this is not even remotely possible.

CarlRJ

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:19 am

gsh wrote:No we're not going to be releasing code to drive the DSI at a low level, it's just not worth the effort and support burden to give people access to the DSI.
Okay, I can understand this. Since we mortals can't access DSI to plug in whatever display ourselves... you've talked about a 7" display (800x480) initially and likely a 10" display later on - how about a smaller display? I'd love to see something on the order of a 3.5" 480x320 DSI display with the same capacitive multitouch features as the 7" display. Something along the lines (size/specs, not necessarily electronically) as the display from the original iPhone (or, heck, make it 400x240 so it's exactly one-quarter of the 7" display). Having an official multitouch display that's roughly the size of a Pi-in-a-case (and would thus fit on top) would make lots of awesome little handheld projects simpler.

The PiTFT (I've got one, it's nice) and Texy displays are a good first step, but can we please have an officially supported small display that plugs into the DSI port (with the GPU running the show, so we get hardware accelerated video with less CPU overhead, instead of having to run a software framebuffer and dumping the screen image over SPI to the display board - plus, then said handheld projects would get all the IO lines back available again). I'd happily pay the same $70ish as the 7" display, for such a smaller display. Oh, sure, less $$$ would be even better, just wanted to say, bigger is not always better. 8-)

stutteringp0et

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:10 am

HDMIPi - without touch? Please tell me there's a touch option in the works too!

Not that I'm looking forward to justifying yet another gadget to my wife - but I'm prepared to do it!

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:03 am

gsh wrote: The display takes around 500mA (5V) at full brightness so yes you do need a separate power supply for the display.
IMO it would make sense to design it so you could easilly use one big power supply (5V 2A or so) to run both Pi and display.

gsh

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:09 am

Yes there will be the ability to power both from a single supply...

Yes it'll have touch, (although X isn't great at handling touch input!)

We are thinking of offering the display conversion board (DSI->DPI) separately therefore that may mean you could add your own smaller display (or the likes of PiTFT / Texy could create a DPI version with cap touch)

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

andycewright

Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:41 am

DSI to DPI conversion is very exciting, the foundation never ceases to amaze me. I was thrilled to hear not one but two displays in the works only a few weeks ago. I can hardly wait :D

sage

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:09 am

Hi All,

If I could design whole new board with BCM2835 and DPI interface connector, does current or future blob support DPI interface for display?
or should I wait for DSI to DPI converter from RPI foundation. I guess DPI LCD module must be cheaper than DSI.

Thanks.

MattPackwood123

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:51 pm

I assume office announcement will be on the blog?

cwoloszynski

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 am

I am very interested in this new display for a project that is under development here. I understand that we may see this unit in approx 6 months (Farnell info) which could work for us, but I need to confirm if the interface for that display will be able to support H264 decoding under XBMC.

Can anyone comment on the performance of the DSI port compared to the HDMI port. I am hoping that they are essentially two ports to the same GPU and it will be ‘easy’ to route the XBMC that currently works on the HDMI interface to output to the DSI port.

How much work is it to get a system to use the DSI port instead of the HDMI port? I'd love to hear about any SW changes that need to be done so I can test my SW can run using the DSI port, even before I have a DSI Pi 7" LCD to see the output on!

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

jamesh

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:21 am

cwoloszynski wrote:I am very interested in this new display for a project that is under development here. I understand that we may see this unit in approx 6 months (Farnell info) which could work for us, but I need to confirm if the interface for that display will be able to support H264 decoding under XBMC.

Can anyone comment on the performance of the DSI port compared to the HDMI port. I am hoping that they are essentially two ports to the same GPU and it will be ‘easy’ to route the XBMC that currently works on the HDMI interface to output to the DSI port.

How much work is it to get a system to use the DSI port instead of the HDMI port? I'd love to hear about any SW changes that need to be done so I can test my SW can run using the DSI port, even before I have a DSI Pi 7" LCD to see the output on!

Thanks in advance,

Charlie
The LCD display can do anything the HDMI output can do. It will be a very minor change to any software (if any change at all). The current firmware does not support DSI displays, so no point in testing at the moment.

rmwebs

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Is the new display still estimated to be released around Summer time? Really looking forward to a decent-sized touchscreen. I want it for my new RepRap as a way of making it completely mobile (I.e no laptop tethered to it!) :)

jamesh

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:55 pm

rmwebs wrote:Is the new display still estimated to be released around Summer time? Really looking forward to a decent-sized touchscreen. I want it for my new RepRap as a way of making it completely mobile (I.e no laptop tethered to it!) :)
I'll try and find out.

Paul Webster

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Are we nearly there yet?

Burngate

Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Are we nearly there yet?
You've got it slightly wrong.
It's
Are we nearly there yet?
Are we nearly there yet?
Are we nearly there yet?
Are we nearly there yet?
DAAAADDY
Are we nearly there yet?

paulie

Mon May 12, 2014 6:56 pm

jamesh wrote:
rmwebs wrote:Is the new display still estimated to be released around Summer time? Really looking forward to a decent-sized touchscreen. I want it for my new RepRap as a way of making it completely mobile (I.e no laptop tethered to it!) :)
I'll try and find out.

Any updates on progress?
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

Return to “General discussion”