ulix

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:47 am

Now the A+ is out the door, hope the display will follow soon.
Does no one get us some infos? :x

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:12 pm

I believe that there are still some EMC test issues and production capacity to sort out. Hopefully around Xmas.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mung

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:53 am

I have heard a rumor the entire pi team were at the production facility on tuesday making finalisation of the display production line.

Will the display be available within the next couple of weeks?

What price?

Please $25 would probably be perfect, I have the money waiting.

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:47 am

mung wrote:I have heard a rumor the entire pi team were at the production facility on tuesday making finalisation of the display production line.

What price?

Balderdash and poppycock.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jamesh

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:49 am

mung wrote:I have heard a rumor the entire pi team were at the production facility on tuesday making finalisation of the display production line.

What price?

That rumour is complete cobblers.

I was at the production facility on Tuesday, and nothing was said about displays at all. It was an office outing to see the production line (which is completely awesome btw, and a great advert for Sony's production ability), and to prepare for Picademy Wales (also held at the Sony factory)

It's not going to be $25, it's a bit more complex than $25, given its a display, plus a driver board.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Burngate

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:49 am

mung wrote:I have heard a rumor the entire pi team were at the production facility on tuesday ...
Weren't they having a game of shinty against the Sony team?
jamesh wrote:... it's a bit more complex than $25 ...
... so a quantity of real money plus an amount of imaginary money ... $(a+ib) ... this might cause another banking crisis

mikerr

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:10 am

mung wrote:Please $25 would probably be perfect, I have the money waiting.
You'll be waiting a while then. $70 has been quoted by Eben as possible (but I think even that's low)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

BMS Doug

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 am

Burngate wrote: ... this might cause another banking crisis
too be fair, these days a shifty look or a loud sneeze could cause another banking crisis.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:33 am

mikerr wrote:
mung wrote:Please $25 would probably be perfect, I have the money waiting.
You'll be waiting a while then. $70 has been quoted by Eben as possible (but I think even that's low)
Best guess - something that is as cheap as the Foundation can make it. So cheaper than a lot of the 'competition'.

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Burngate wrote:
jamesh wrote:... it's a bit more complex than $25 ...
... so a quantity of real money plus an amount of imaginary money ... $(a+ib) ... this might cause another banking crisis
Thanks for the maths joke, that made me smile.

Just remember the wunch† of bankers will still be getting their seven figure bonuses regardless of how badly they screw us over with their high stakes gambling.

† that IS the official collective noun.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wunch
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Those who can, do.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

bullen

Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Looking forward to this, but make sure you work together with the Pimoroni team to get a snug case integration with power!
https://github.com/tinspin/rupy - A tiny Java async HTTP application server.

mikronauts

Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:45 pm

I think the first we will hear about the Pi display is when someone finds a listing for it on Element14 on a Friday...

Frankly, I really want to get one to play with, it seems like it will be very useful for a lot of my projects!

From what I've gathered:

- WVGA 800x480 LCD panel
- interface board on the back for the RPi's
- black bezel
- capacitative touch panel
- has USB-A jack so it can power the Pi
- $70USD target price

I hope the Foundation will sell the little interface board by itself, and that it will support panels at various resolutions, as some use cases would benefit from smaller panels such as 480x272, and some from panels all the way up to 1280x800 panels, and not all applications will need a capacitative touch panel (or indeed, any touch panel)
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

jamesh

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:09 pm

As above, there is a delay due to some EMC issues that need sorting out.As for the adapter board being available separately, I have no idea.

mung

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:45 pm

mikronauts wrote:I think the first we will hear about the Pi display is when someone finds a listing for it on Element14 on a Friday...
Like this? : http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi ... merch=true&

I wonder weather there is a new raspbian coming with the required firmware blob?

mung

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:54 pm

jamesh wrote:As above, there is a delay due to some EMC issues that need sorting out.As for the adapter board being available separately, I have no idea.
Whats the problem with EMC?

They cannot just wrap the back of the screen in triple layer alloy foil and put some ferrites on the FFC?

Would be really great if the foundation put a story on the blog about how EMC testing is done, what is minimum radiation power and frequency allowed etc?

I think they did something for the board though did not go into much technical details.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/tag/ce-compliance/

DirkS

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:54 pm

Like what?

mung

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:56 pm

DirkS wrote:
Like what?

Ooooh here today gone tomorrow, or is that jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today?

They must have removed it :(

mikronauts

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanks James.

Proper EMC handling will definitely be advantage for the official display :)
jamesh wrote:As above, there is a delay due to some EMC issues that need sorting out.As for the adapter board being available separately, I have no idea.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter

mikronauts

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Dang it, they removed it by the time I saw your reply!
mung wrote:
mikronauts wrote:I think the first we will hear about the Pi display is when someone finds a listing for it on Element14 on a Friday...
Like this? : http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi ... merch=true&

I wonder weather there is a new raspbian coming with the required firmware blob?

jamesh

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:49 am

The firmware has probably already been fixed up and released...

W. H. Heydt

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:00 pm

mung wrote: Would be really great if the foundation put a story on the blog about how EMC testing is done, what is minimum radiation power and frequency allowed etc?
Ummm... To the best of my knowledge, what is generally regulated is the MAXIMUM allowed RF power being radiated, rather than a minimum required. The mind boggles at the thought of a world where devices would be required to emit some level of RF. I suppose it would fit right in with 1984....or the desires of the NSA and GCHQ, I suppose. (Anybody else here remember when the NSA was so well hidden that those who knew of it would joke that the initials stood for "No Such Agency"?)

paulie

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:17 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:. (Anybody else here remember when the NSA was so well hidden that those who knew of it would joke that the initials stood for "No Such Agency"?)
" I met a man upon the stair,
A little man who wasn't there.
I saw him there again today,
I think he's from the CIA"
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

gsh

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:00 pm

mung wrote: They cannot just wrap the back of the screen in triple layer alloy foil and put some ferrites on the FFC?
No unfortunately that doesn't actually help... The reason is that the DPI display has 24 signal lines that all transition up and down at the same time creating huge current spikes in the sources to those lines (i.e. the drivers in the conversion chip). The wires themselves will radiate some energy although it's unlikely they'll create a huge amount because they are so short. But those signals end up travelling out of the unit back down the power wire which tends to be around 2m long - perfect for some 100MHz type interference!

To combat this we add decoupling capacitors and chokes to the board, unfortunately these are expensive and you have to be very careful where you mount them and how you route the signals otherwise you end up coupling the noise straight back into the supply cable. Unfortunately this means the process of creating a device like the display is complicated by the problems of having to iterate the design to reduce the noise. Of course if it was someone else making the board or some Chinese outfit they'd not care, but we have to be much more careful (and we're learning as we go!)

The limits are based on uV/m at 10m distance from the device and therefore needs _very_ (electrically) quiet places to test. No mobile phones / wifi / taxi's CB / switching supplies / etc etc nearby. Which is why it is expensive and difficult to measure this stuff, you'd think I could just do it with a scope an some probes unfortunately the scope I use is worth >£30K and the probes are worth more than my car - and it still isn't particularly accurate!

So unfortunately it is not possible to 'just stick it in a faraday cage' unless it is completely powered from within the cage!

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

mung

Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:11 pm

gsh wrote:
No unfortunately that doesn't actually help... The reason is that the DPI display has 24 signal lines that all transition up and down at the same time creating huge current spikes in the sources to those lines (i.e. the drivers in the conversion chip). The wires themselves will radiate some energy although it's unlikely they'll create a huge amount because they are so short. But those signals end up travelling out of the unit back down the power wire which tends to be around 2m long - perfect for some 100MHz type interference!

To combat this we add decoupling capacitors and chokes to the board, unfortunately these are expensive and you have to be very careful where you mount them and how you route the signals otherwise you end up coupling the noise straight back into the supply cable. Unfortunately this means the process of creating a device like the display is complicated by the problems of having to iterate the design to reduce the noise. Of course if it was someone else making the board or some Chinese outfit they'd not care, but we have to be much more careful (and we're learning as we go!)
Gordon
Well I know nothing about electronics (in the grand scheme of things) so anything I say is probably wrong, but.

Do switch mode supplies not isolate the supply (at least when switched off)? maybe chained?

You say DPI, I thought it was DSI, are DSI displays not available so that you don't have to get a DPI display and convert DSI to DPI seems a lot of extra electronics :(

What is the LAW requirements for EMC, if it were me I would split up the system sell the screen and the driver board seperately and have a legal disclaimer saying 'driver board not to be used with display as may cause unwanted RFI'. Not really very nice solution for some people when their wifi or TV sets stop working, but I will do anything to save money :lol:

So from what you are saying everything is still in development and we may not see the display until after christmas :(

Return to “General discussion”