poing

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:17 pm

I read somewhere yesterday Eben said they hoped to launch it in the next quarter. They stored the components in a warehouse to first get the P1 2 launch out of the way.

ulix

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:07 pm

This means what? Mai-June :cry:

I think at HQ mixed something terrebly up,
“This is our first display panel that we’re going to be hopefully getting out of the door before the end of the year or early next,” he added. (Eben)
I would have accepted that the new V2 came out before the Display, but nothing was said. Why keep the community in the dark? I don't want to know the exact date, but is it coming in one year, 3 months? It's so uncertain. Would be great to see some tinkering, I always thought this was the goal of the Raspberry Pi, to get young people into computing. So why not show some actual things? Is it real that BOOM there is a new product? No, there is a lot of planing and engineering why not show the real side? I loved these pictures of the Sony factory, the video where someone worked on a Pi with a microskope and the packages with the first Raspberrys in Uptons car, but this things got very rare....
It feels like the Raspberry Pi Team doesn't want any involvement form the community, why then make everything hus..hush... behind closed doors?
Last edited by ulix on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:11 pm

ulix wrote:This means what? Mai-June :cry:
It means nothing of the sort, until the Foundation make an official announcement.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

BillStephenson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:45 pm

ulix wrote:It would be great to know something more precise. Now the Pi V2 is out, most people thought this wouldn't happen before the display, what happens with the display? Is the Raspberry Team so bussy that we have to wait another half-year/ year? Is the display gone on hold? Aren't we a community, which loves computing and science, that shares? :?
It was great to learn about the awesome upgrade to the Pi family of products with the Pi 2 Monday and I'm thrilled over it. I'll be thrilled when the monitor gets shipped too, but really, let's give this team their due for the work they're kicking out. It's impressive to the point of crashing their servers, which is pretty durn impressive.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:56 am

one of the insiders posted in another thread that the first batch of display boards had been made and was awaiting final EMC testing.

EtonMess

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm looking forward to getting these displays, possibly between Easter and the summer.
In the meantime I have found that there are some 3rdaprty touchscreens that provide visual fun for those that enjoy that sort of thing.
.G6FIR

BillStephenson

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:39 pm

plugwash wrote:one of the insiders posted in another thread that the first batch of display boards had been made and was awaiting final EMC testing.
Ooooo, That's encouraging!!

EtonMess

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:09 am

If anyone from any of the after-market Pi accessories makers reads this, I would be interested in a Pi case that has a mount to take the new Raspberry Pi screens together with the Pi in a tidy little package.
.G6FIR

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:16 am

I'm sure once the display is released, or shortly after, there will be plenty of case choices available.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

GekkePrutser

Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:50 pm

ulix wrote:It feels like the Raspberry Pi Team doesn't want any involvement form the community, why then make everything hus..hush... behind closed doors?
Personally I think they just got wrapped up in so many NDAs that they have no choice.

Since they partner with some very big companies (Broadcom but also Farnell, RS), these guys like to tie everything down. I'd say the foundation would be happy to share their plans but the big distributors don't like to be stuck with a bunch of unsold stock so I bet there's a lot of legal strings attached.

As well, the BCM 2836 was a brand new product so I can imagine there being very strict NDAs during its development phase.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:03 pm

ulix wrote:This means what? Mai-June :cry:

I think at HQ mixed something terrebly up,
“This is our first display panel that we’re going to be hopefully getting out of the door before the end of the year or early next,” he added. (Eben)
I would have accepted that the new V2 came out before the Display, but nothing was said. Why keep the community in the dark? I don't want to know the exact date, but is it coming in one year, 3 months? It's so uncertain. Would be great to see some tinkering, I always thought this was the goal of the Raspberry Pi, to get young people into computing. So why not show some actual things? Is it real that BOOM there is a new product? No, there is a lot of planing and engineering why not show the real side? I loved these pictures of the Sony factory, the video where someone worked on a Pi with a microskope and the packages with the first Raspberrys in Uptons car, but this things got very rare....
It feels like the Raspberry Pi Team doesn't want any involvement form the community, why then make everything hus..hush... behind closed doors?
There is no 'keeping in the dark', just normal commercial considerations.

The display had to take a bit of a backbuner while the P2 was got through its development and release (which came earlier than expected), now the display is next on the list (which is later than expected) . But it's difficult to predict. There have been some EMC issues that delayed it, not sure how they are getting on with those. When something is ready to be announced, it will be announced.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:52 pm

EtonMess wrote:If anyone from any of the after-market Pi accessories makers reads this, I would be interested in a Pi case that has a mount to take the new Raspberry Pi screens together with the Pi in a tidy little package.
What I'm hoping someone (or several someones) come out with would be a stand to mount the display.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:55 pm

jamesh wrote: The display had to take a bit of a backbuner while the P2 was got through its development and release (which came earlier than expected), now the display is next on the list (which is later than expected) . But it's difficult to predict. There have been some EMC issues that delayed it, not sure how they are getting on with those. When something is ready to be announced, it will be announced.
If you read--or know people who read--very old, say Medieval, cookbooks, the recipes very often end with "cook it until it is enow", which just means to cook the item until it's done. At this point, I think a lot of people are just waiting for the display to be "enow" without knowing a done display until they see one.

rpdom

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:36 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:cook it until it is enow
I parsed that as "cook it until ENOW" and wondered what happens when it runs out of "W"... :lol:

Hg

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Really hope this launches soon.
Could do with one for work and also to build a car media player for my child.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:42 pm

I can't argue with the sentiment. I suspect a lot of people are waiting for it with bated breath.

Still...at the very least, the RPF staff and the forum mods need some time to recover from the last site meltdown before triggering another.

poing

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:14 pm

I only hope this time they make a million as a startup batch because I'm always too late :?

bullen

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:35 am

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2837433/ ... model.html

I don't really like that bezel, had hoped for a hardcore finish... also what is the point of that display port if you still need a PCB to drive the damned things? I guess price and touch control quality will tell if it's going to be interesting.

I wish they had moved on to color e-paper... pebble time leads the way.
https://github.com/tinspin/rupy - A tiny Java async HTTP application server.

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:57 am

that article is so last year .....
;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ceteras

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:11 pm

bullen wrote: [...]
I don't really like that bezel, had hoped for a hardcore finish... also what is the point of that display port if you still need a PCB to drive the damned things? I guess price and touch control quality will tell if it's going to be interesting.

I wish they had moved on to color e-paper... pebble time leads the way.
I remember they said in some comments they want to use a display that is available in large quantities at a low price.
Perhaps it was impossible to find a such display with a native DSI interface.
On the other hand, I'm sure there are a lot of providers for cheap DPI-like interfaced 7" displays (24bit RGB or something) as these are used in the cheap 7" Android tablets. These tablets are produced in massive volumes, it makes sense to pick one of the better display offers and design the DSI interface for it.

There would have been another interesting option for this, but I know not to expect it: they could sell the small interface PCB separately, so we can pair it with our own displays. I could take what ever constraints that could imply, such as having only one certain connector pinout and native resolution for the display.

Anyway, it's going to be another commercial success for the RPi and distributors, I'm sure!

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:17 pm

an e-paper would be an excellent choice ;-p but that's not likely
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ceteras

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:30 pm

RaTTuS wrote:an e-paper would be an excellent choice ;-p but that's not likely
It wouldn't be quite such an excellent choice as there is not enough market for it.
If you want e-paper, you can find third party solutions.

Douglas6

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:37 pm

ceteras wrote: It wouldn't be quite such an excellent choice as there is not enough market for it.
And I have to think that 'Big Buck Bunny' would look pretty awful on ePaper.

ulix

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:20 am

Any news? Did someone got something?

tinylcd

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:37 am

Hello

may be till that time you can have a look at below products

http://www.neosecsolutions.com//index.p ... 6b7956da39

regards
tinylcd

Return to “General discussion”