robtheplod
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 3:02 pm

RS invited me to order but ......

Wed May 23, 2012 3:04 pm

When i go to the order page everything is in stock except the SSD with the operating system on - presume the Pi isnt much use without this???

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: RS invited me to order but ......

Wed May 23, 2012 3:06 pm

There is no such animal. You need to do it yourself or buy one on Ebay.

Airstream
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 7:05 am

Re: RS invited me to order but ......

Mon May 28, 2012 3:38 pm

There are a number of reputable sellers on eBay with SD cards preloaded with Debian RPi squeeze to get you started. I found the Kingston 8gb SDHC class 4 card with a resized partition to be very good. For example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8GB-SD-Card-R ... 19d15f3caa

PaulCheffus
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:51 pm
Location: Lincolnshire UK

Re: RS invited me to order but ......

Tue May 29, 2012 2:54 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote:There is no such animal. You need to do it yourself or buy one on Ebay.
Hi

If thats the case then I'm not sure what I have just bought?
2000117882 1 4GB SD Card with Raspberry Pi OS installed £9.99

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: RS invited me to order but ......

Tue May 29, 2012 3:21 pm

PaulCheffus wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:There is no such animal. You need to do it yourself or buy one on Ebay.
Hi

If thats the case then I'm not sure what I have just bought?
2000117882 1 4GB SD Card with Raspberry Pi OS installed £9.99

Cheers

Paul
This is something completely new then. I've not heard of RS or Farnell selling loaded cards. I can't check on it as the RS Raspberry Pi ordering site only allows you in with a valid, unused invite request. That part number does not appear to be valid on their main site. Do they not mention which OS it is?

PaulCheffus
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:51 pm
Location: Lincolnshire UK

Re: RS invited me to order but ......

Tue May 29, 2012 3:33 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote: This is something completely new then. I've not heard of RS or Farnell selling loaded cards. I can't check on it as the RS Raspberry Pi ordering site only allows you in with a valid, unused invite request. That part number does not appear to be valid on their main site. Do they not mention which OS it is?
Hi

From memory it was Debian but as you say you can't go back and check.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

sdjf
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 am
Location: California
Contact: Website

Re: RS invited me to order but ......

Tue May 29, 2012 4:09 pm

PaulCheffus wrote:



From memory it was Debian but as you say you can't go back and check.

Cheers

Paul
Does that mean we cannot look around a few visits and use our activation code to buy after deciding what to do? I am not ordering until I can find out the total payment and shipping method, so we may have a stalemate here.

sdjf
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: RS invited me to order but ......

Tue May 29, 2012 4:18 pm

sdjf wrote:
PaulCheffus wrote:



From memory it was Debian but as you say you can't go back and check.

Cheers

Paul
Does that mean we cannot look around a few visits and use our activation code to buy after deciding what to do? I am not ordering until I can find out the total payment and shipping method, so we may have a stalemate here.

sdjf
From the large number of postings on here on this very subject, you can't just go in, faff about, come out and go in again as your code will then be deemed invalid. It is best not to even tread backwards on your browser to go to previous pages. The site is very unforgiving. The P&P is £4.95 or equivalent, world wide, if I recall. Once your code becomes invalid you will need to leave it a few hours to reset itself. If you are just buying the Pi, the total comes to about £30.50.

sdjf
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 am
Location: California
Contact: Website

Re: RS invited me to order but ......

Tue May 29, 2012 10:54 pm

This is taken from the RS FAQ they attached in response to my email. It seems we can browse the store as much as we want, and our activation codes are good until we place an order.

Here is what they say about this:

Q - My session timed out/crashed/disconnected/failed/I was unable to complete my purchase and
now my code is no longer being accepted. What can I do?
A - Please clear all cookies from your browser, exit and restart your session. Then try to place your order again after 1 hour. The basket should automatically empty allowing your code to
be re-used.

However, from all that I have read, I think I am bailing out from RS and going to wait to order from Newark.com once the backlog has dissipated. That will be much cheaper for me in the USA than getting from RS and also give me more ability to control the shipping date, since I cannot be sure there will be any way to receive a delivery this summer with the vague way things are working with advance ordering at both companies.

I called Newark and, once they understood my situation, they were very helpful.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

jefferzbooboo
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: RS invited me to order but ......

Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 am

I just received my Pi, used an SD card I had laying around and had to re install the image once to get it to work. I did it all in terminal on an Ubuntu 8.04 distro fallowing instructions I found in the Wiki, took me about 30-40 minutes to set up with the one screw up. The only ever time I've used terminal is to get Opera and that was many moons ago.
It's not as hard as people think to install the OS on the SD card.

Return to “General discussion”