andrew700andrew

GPS ALTERNATIVE to Adafruit GPS Ultimate Breakout Board

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to connect a gps to my raspberry pi and beforeanyone says that i should just look at the Adafruit GPS Ultimate Breakout Board and the tutorial with it, i was searching amazon and i saw this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-NEO6MV ... ps+module

It is half the price but when i look at the connections in the photo instead of the 3.3v connection that is in the adafruit gps, this one has a vcc one instead. I also don't know if this board uses a 3.3v or 5v communication. Btw. I am a complete novice at electronics hardware and have spent the last 2 hours googleing how to do this and about wiring pi's and have ended up confused about what to do next, so i was wondering if any of you more experienced and knowledgeable raspberry pi'ers would be able to tell if this follows the same method as the adafruit gps just by looking at it?

Thank you so much!

andrew

andrew700andrew

Re: GPS ALTERNATIVE to Adafruit GPS Ultimate Breakout Board

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:52 am

Also, I've found out (by searching NEO6MV2) that the board is probably 3.3v to 5v compatible. HOWEVER, does this mean that I need to modify it to work on 3.3v or can I just plug it straight into my pi serial port?
Thanks

technoducky

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Yes this board will work with 3.3v logic, you should be able to connect this to the Pi in exactly the same was as the Adafruit module and have it work.

The Adafruit module also accepts multiple input voltages, the 3.3v pin is from the output of the regulator.

Dan

ame

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:09 am

Buy this instead:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GlobalSat-BU-35 ... B000PKX2KA

No wires to fiddle with. It has an enclosure. It's magnetic. Plug it into USB and it Just Works.

True, it's twice the price, but it's available more cheaply elsewhere.

Is there any reason you want a bare board?

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:24 am

If I needed GPS on my RPi I'd be going with your £15 bare board.

Looks like it's a simple serial interface, so wire VCC to 3V3, GND to GND, TX on Pi GPIO to RX on board, RX on Pi to TX on board.Fiddle with the /boot/cmdline.txt by removing the /dev/ttyAMA0 config in there and you should be good to go.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

andrew700andrew

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks everyone!!

I'll be going with the cheaper one that you have to wire up because I'm planning on using the USB ports for other things and I don't want to use a hub.

mypifi

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:00 pm

i got one of the blox ones used for rc planes etc off ebay for about a tenner wires fit as per adafruit one and works fine with myproject.

scruss

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Another source of cheap USB GPS units is outdated versions of Microsoft Streets & Trips. These ship with a simple TTL Serial GPS (a Pharos PB010) connected to a Prolific serial→USB converter. Plugged into a Raspberry Pi, it creates a serial port spitting out NMEA sentences at 4800 baud. If you trawl the software clearance places, you can find these for £10-15.

One day, I'd like to try one of those small I²C GPS units meant for quadcopters with the Raspberry Pi.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

RH314

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Another interesting alternative is a 3.3V breadboard friendly $19 programmable GPS with 50MIPS + 490KByte Flash + 45KByte RAM for user program while running 10Hz GPS: http://bit.ly/1dBpits

Carl_Panek

Tue May 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Has anyone gotten a NAVATION GPS 168 to work on an RPI under raspbian?

scruss

Wed May 06, 2015 12:03 am

The GPS 168 was shipped with some versions of Streets & Trips, so it wouldn't surprise me if it worked like the Pharos. It probably appears as a serial port. What's the tail end of the output from dmesg after you plug it in?
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Carl_Panek

Wed May 06, 2015 1:31 am

You are right about the source, and you put me on the right path by having me check dmesg. GPS 168 shows up at ttyACM0 and is now reading fine. A BIG THANK YOU.

Return to “General discussion”