rendez2k

Any wireless mouse + keyboard?

Tue May 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Just wondering if any wireless mouse + keyboard will work with the Pi? Looking around Amazon I was quite surprised how cheap wireless mouses are such as a Microsoft one for £10 but do I need to take anything else into consideration?

Also, does anyone know if a Pi will power a USB powered HDD drive by itself?

Many thanks!

paaland

Re: Any wireless mouse + keyboard?

Wed May 23, 2012 10:44 am

If you check the Wiki there is a list of keyboards and mice people have tried. Some work, some dont't and some requires a powered usb hub.

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Keyboards
Dragon 32>BBC Model B>PC>PC>PC>PC>Raspberry PI (circle complete)

iMhack

Sun May 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Hello,

I bought a Wireless Keyboard including touchpad in it.
I'm using it right now for my Ubuntu media-center, it works well ;-)
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards ... board-k400

kaidenshi

Wed May 30, 2012 2:07 am

It might be a bit pricey, but if you can get a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard that use the Unifying receiver, you will be able to use both devices from one VERY tiny USB receiver. The downside is that you will have to pair the receiver, keyboard and mouse together under Windows or OS X, though there is source code for a simple console based app to pair them in Linux. See here:

https://groups.google.com/group/linux.k ... c3f5?pli=1

These Logitech devices are extremely good with power saving. I've been running the same batteries in the keyboard for over a year and in the mouse for over 8 months.

For an idea of the size of the receiver, here is mine in the RPi:

HerrMaulwurf

Wed May 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Does somebody has experience with the following wireless keyboard/mouse set?

Labtec Media Wireless Desktop 800

"lsusb" only shows a Chic Technolog Corp. device, but no model number, just the name of the manufacturer. "dmesg" shows a USB HID v. 1.00 Keyboard device, but again a generic one without any model number or any other possibility to identify the drivers needed for that device. It's not that important that the mouse is working, I'll just need the keyboard cause I've got another wired USB mouse (some standard Acer OEM stuff).

On the USB dongle for this keyboard/mouse set, there's written ",50mA" for power consumption, but I don't know how to interprete this. I can't imagine it'll take up to 500mA, but only 50mA seems a bit low for a wireless dongle.

I expect the delivery of a Raspberry Pi I ordered on eBay for tomorrow.

Best regards
HerrMaulwurf

HerrMaulwurf

Thu May 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Update: Received my Raspberry Pi today. The keyboard/mouse set works like a charm.

PaulCheffus

Thu May 31, 2012 8:41 pm

kaidenshi wrote:It might be a bit pricey, but if you can get a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard that use the Unifying receiver, you will be able to use both devices from one VERY tiny USB receiver. The downside is that you will have to pair the receiver, keyboard and mouse together under Windows or OS X, though there is source code for a simple console based app to pair them in Linux. See here:

https://groups.google.com/group/linux.k ... c3f5?pli=1

These Logitech devices are extremely good with power saving. I've been running the same batteries in the keyboard for over a year and in the mouse for over 8 months.

For an idea of the size of the receiver, here is mine in the RPi:

Hi

Please could you tell me which model of the Logitech keyboard is this?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

kaidenshi

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:57 pm

PaulCheffus wrote:
Hi

Please could you tell me which model of the Logitech keyboard is this?

Cheers

Paul
The keyboard is a Logitech Wireless Keyboard K250 and the mouse is a Logitech M505. I bought them separately and paired them both with the keyboard's receiver; the mouse's receiver stays in the storage bay in the mouse as a spare. You can also buy a set with both mouse and keyboard from Logitech that come with one unifying receiver.

PaulCheffus

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi

Thank you, it was the combined mk250 I was thinking of buying so that looks hopeful.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, many bluetooth based transceivers actually use less than 100mA, which should mean they work on the USB ports of a raspi, and they can also support both a mouse and a keyboard, which often isn't possible with a wired keyboard/Mouse, as normally it means the keyboard includes a host powered HUB, which means the total power consumption is (much) higher than the 100mA the Pi can provide.
If the USB bluetooth transceiver acts like normal USB legacy endpoints for the PI, then that is ideal, because then no special drivers are required either, so a wireless solution could be ideal, as long as it uses just 100mA, and needs no special drivers. If it uses more than 100mA, then you can only use it with a (self) powered USB hub, which in practice means you also need to power the PI from that very same hub.

ksangeelee

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:29 pm

I bought a Logitech (MK260, I think) wireless keyboard and mouse combo from Lidl this morning for £20. It works flawlessly in the Debian image, so I now have a free USB port - hooray!

rccapps

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:11 am

Verbatim Mini Wireless Slim Keyboard and Mouse (Mfr# 97472)

Looks like a single USB receiver. Didn't see it on the verified peripherals list, so has anyone tried this combo?

smuggly

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm Using This With Openelec For A HTPC Setup And It Only Takes Up 1 usb slot so i can hook my hub to the other. It Works Great With XBMC. It's On Sale!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823176018

pontyjon

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Novatech Wireless Combo. Costs a £10. Cheap pi. Cheap keyboard n mouse. Adjustable dpi on mouse. Plenty of function keys. Nano recever which is nice. Works at distance too. Works a treat. Includes batteries. 8-)

Steep

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:48 am

Item 260962010276 on eBay

Badged EAPPLY it's a 2.4GHz wireless qwerty keyboard with touchpad, measures 135x75x15.5mm and works out of the box with Debian.

Specs as listed are :-
Range 6-10Mtrs - TX power 2dBm
Working voltage 3.3v
Working current <40ma
Charging voltage4.2-5.05v
charging curent <400mA
Sleep current <1mA
Weight 103g

There are slightly different specs on the box but the writing is in Chinese so I've no idea what applies to what.

Other features, switchable backlight, function keys, wireless dongle storage in the back.

MarkRA

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:16 pm

I did some searching and have purchased a Logitech K-400 which is a doddle to use. No software mods required. Plug it in and away you go. Debian OS.

Mark

anotherbloke

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:33 pm

I've been using this keyboard with built-in touchpad, only takes one usb slot which leaves the other for wi-fi or usb stick.

http://www.ebuyer.com/135103-xenta-2-4g ... sb-kb-1000

I find it great to use, but i know others who don't like the layout of the keyboard.

nikhil.d

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:48 am

I use Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse MK270r (sold in Australia) and it worked out of the box. Just plugged in the adapter into my pi and could use both mouse and keyboard straight-away.

Micha1982

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Using a Perixx Periboard 808 - a small bluetooth-keyboard - with backlit-illuminated keys! Very good...at first I thought ''scissor-contact-keys"? Perixx? But its great. Mine has a gerrman layout and it works 'out of the box' with my Pi. Only thing I dislike is the built in accu...but it lasts very long, several months with one load. Keyboard and mouse are both connected to a bt-usb-stick.

Furthermore I use a Microsoft-Bluetooth-mouse 3600 - it is great, too - after a complicated manual install through bluetootthctl.
It took some minutes of google and trial and error, but after that it is fine at all now.

Would be fantastic if the Microsoft-mices could be integrated in the drivers to work 'out of the box' with desktop its bt-config-gui, too...
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

John Mc

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:31 pm

Are people finding the Bluetooth or the wireless RF keyboards a better way to go? The Pi3 I'm using has built-in bluetooth.

I'd actually prefer a small, wired USB keyboard, if I could find one with a built-in trackball or trackpad, but the only ones I'm seeing of those are Bluetooth or wireless.

scruss

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:23 pm

I'd previously stuck to using Bluetooth, as it was an industry standard and things should just work. Experience with Raspberry Pis, however, showed me that they did not work as well in practice. Some keyboards would work fine but needed to be paired again on reboot, while others stayed paired like a champ but were just awful keyboards with random repeats and noisy trackpads.

So for a RetroPie box that I needed to just work, I bought an IOGEAR RF keyboard/trackball thing. It's recognized at boot as a keyboard without drivers. It hasn't needed to be paired again. It's surprisingly okay as a keyboard for couch typing.

If you want a wired keyboard with trackpad, Adesso make 'em. I have one on my “desktop” Raspberry Pi, and it's great. They're not cheap, as Adesso tends to sell to the retail point-of-sale market.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Return to “General discussion”