Robert_M

Unboxing - Most Important Size Comparison

Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 am

I'm sure that many people have been wondering about this, so as a Public Service I offer the Most Important Size Comparison photo of the Raspberry Pi.

p.s. I tried to include a larger version but the post won't let me go over 64 K.
Most Important Size Comparison.jpg
Most Important Size Comparison.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Unboxing - Most Important Size Comparison

Tue May 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Ok, so why are you comparing the Pi with what appears to be a portable inkwell?

:lol:
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

dhardingham

Tue May 22, 2012 9:58 pm

I suspect that many Raspi owners may be too young to remember this futuristic little gadget! :lol:
David Hardingham

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 pm

The interesting thing is that you could use that as a case and, with a USB microphone input, a USB WiFi dongle, a small amplifier with a speaker plugged into the audio jack, and a few batteries, you could have a fully-functional device after setting up VOIP software.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue May 22, 2012 10:17 pm

dhardingham wrote:I suspect that many Raspi owners may be too young to remember this futuristic little gadget! :lol:
The trick is to try not to indicate that you DO recognise it..... 8-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

simonlc

Tue May 22, 2012 10:25 pm

I've never watched or liked Star Trek, but I do know what this is. For those wondering it's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicat ... ar_Trek%29

Robert_M

Wed May 23, 2012 1:00 am

Jim Manley wrote:The interesting thing is that you could use that as a case and, with a USB microphone input, a USB WiFi dongle, a small amplifier with a speaker plugged into the audio jack, and a few batteries, you could have a fully-functional device after setting up VOIP software.
There was some semi-serious thought along that direction but, alas, like the Altoids tin, it's just a smidge too small.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Craig French

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 pm

The Raspberry Pi fits in the Altoids mint tin, the FAQ is wrong (at least for the Chinese model B I just received via element14). You have to drill holes for the connectors and SD card anyway, just use your same mad Dremel skills on the corner where you’re placing the ethernet port. Yes, the top will close nicely, see https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A92B5tsCEAAG2h9.jpg and https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A92BJfWCEAAyFz5.jpg . I placed a gift card underneath the Pi for insulation — works great.

pygmy_giant

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:21 pm

maybe at some point in the future we really will have hand-held devices that enable us to communicate accross long distances

shortcrustpi

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 pm

that comes in the form of an altoids tin? yes, i can see it now. 'the aliens looked on in wonder as the lieutenant screamed that he needed back up into what looked like some form of altoids tin. moments later there was a flash of light and behind him stood a squad of fully armed space marines'

Leestons

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:59 am

pygmy_giant wrote:maybe at some point in the future we really will have hand-held devices that enable us to communicate accross long distances

Burngate

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Craig French wrote:The Raspberry Pi fits in the Altoids mint tin, the FAQ is wrong (at least for the Chinese model B I just received via element14). You have to drill holes for the connectors and SD card anyway, just use your same mad Dremel skills on the corner where you’re placing the ethernet port. Yes, the top will close nicely, see https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A92B5tsCEAAG2h9.jpg and https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A92BJfWCEAAyFz5.jpg . I placed a gift card underneath the Pi for insulation — works great.
I'm guessing here ... having had a quick look at your profile, and your 6 posts to date, ... do you by any chance work for Altoids? :D

Return to “General discussion”