Svartalf

Re: Tiny Core Linux

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:33 am

Quote from choppergirl on September 14, 2011, 19:31
How about QNX then?

That'd require the QNX people to port their kernel and drivers to form a BSP for the R-Pi. Not likely to happen, unless someone was to shower them with money.

iAreNewb

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:30 am

Pfft... If you worry about forced jumps to the past, just carry a netbook and printer at all times. You'll be able to download 3D designs, instructions, tutorials, everything ever required to make anything in the history of mankind (plus be able to reenact every major discovery of artifacts, theorems, scientific laws...). This is, of course, assuming you have a very fast internet connection (like the one Google is giving away near Standford :( ) and a very good algorithm for crawling.

Kamac

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:34 am

Any news on Core Linux on RaspberryPi?

I'd also like very much to see it running on RP. It'd be perfect as really tiny linux port with least possible OS overhead. It's EASY-ly customisable with extensions – and most important You can "extend" it only with stuff You need, but if needed, You can leave it as core as needed.

I hope someone with enough knowledge will port it to RP…

EDIT: Some Crosslinks to TinyCore forum after my search on there:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net.....866.0.html

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net.....550.0.html

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net.....52159.html

Skree

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:37 pm

I do think various levels of stripped down OS are needed across the community, as is a collection of minimised footprint software to run on it – from web browsers to media players to office type stuff to torrent clients. When i was a kid in the early 80s we had toys that were in kit form..  you didn't do masses of assembly but you learned from what you did do. I remember that early computers were sold as very advanced level kits, although i never had one. I think that sold as a kit computer – us nerds will DIY our own kits and the foundation should be selling cases – the price and capability of the system would encourage a lot of purchases by parents for educational toys for children, in addition to the school, college etc market. Especially if the machine can do general purpose computing. Pi, 8/16 gb uSD, usb keyboard and mouse, 800ma nokia charger = pc/mame/media/internet machine for cheap?

the more that can be done, the more kids will be interested. As for me, i like stripped down OS but having to install a file manager just to get going is perhaps a shade too far yet.. i'd like to learn enough to be at that level though. Perhaps a port of tcl that includes a few essentials?

I came across netsurf web browser which claims to be usable on a 30mhz arm6 machine with 16mb of ram. a possibility?

caulktel

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Maybe somebody should ask Robert Shingledecker if he would port Tiny Core to ARM, he was always accommodating to me when I was trying to get Damn Small Linux working on some old IBM thin client machines. I like Tiny Core but will wait and see to what the default distro does before reinventing the wheel.

XAPBob

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:15 am

Quote from Chris on September 3, 2011, 10:46
On the resource side it is good, but I spend 30 mins playing with it and found no way to access a file manager. I tried installing several programs which either just hung or the process "went away".

Its not a good enviroment to use if you spend most of your time frustrated with the UI. Maybe if it had LXDE ontop it may be more friendly, but I was seriously tempted to kill the X server and see if terminal was more friendly.

Erm – what's wrong with cd, ls, cp, mv, del?

The point of TC is to have an absolute minimum by default (well, OK – tinycore adds X, microcore is the treu minimal) with an app browser that makes it easy to import additional packages.

Those packages are designed to be easy to add/remove without having to save tons of restore points.

I would also take serious issue with your assertion that a UI is no good if everyone can't pick it up instantly.

How long did it take you to learn to drive a car?

How long did it take you to learn to ride a bike?

How long did it take you to learn to read?

Ease of use != low learning curve.

r3d4

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:09 am

liz wrote:A project for next year that I have in mind for when Raspberry Pi work quietens down a bit is the purchase, disassembly and reassembly of an internal combustion engine. (Probably a Honda generator.) The reasoning behind this is a bit like Svartalf's, but rather more on the crazed paranoid end of things - I have a niggling worry that I may one day be sent back in time, and it would be just embarrassing not to be able to jump-start an industrial revolution.

(I can do all the above things apart from fixing the car; I can't drive.)
if any one ever needed to be able to jump-start an industrial revolution
the opensourceecology Global Village Construction Set (GVCS)
may prove helpful

tinycorelinux - Open Development of Core on Arm Platform (inc Raspberry PI)
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

smartpatrol

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:35 pm

I have had a good experience running Gentoo with the raspberry pi kernel from git hub. I prefer monolithic kernels with only the minimal set of drivers compiled in order to avoid modules. One concern was compile time however on the 512mb pi using the ondemand cpu governor and a clock range from 500mhz to 1000ghz i get very usable source compile times. I am still in the process of stripping out all the cruft from the default kernel config so i still have a few modules but my kernel is a nice tight 5mb which allows me to run my pi as my home mail server exim/clamav/spamassassin/mysql greylisting and still ahve 82mb of ram left over.

Return to “General discussion”