Auron

Re: Any word from Farnell?

Fri May 25, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm sure that's what they would argue on, but that sentence doesn't override the sentences prior, because they don't say that it does.

I'd argue that they would have to use Special Delivery to fulfill their terms as written (although I'd say First Class also would be fine, as that normally arrives next day in my experience). If they use second class, and that overrides everything else, they should clearly say that.

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 25, 2012 3:29 pm

They are normally dealing with commercial customers, who are ordering in-stock items and would be expecting quick delivery. With the Pi they have a low value item that won't be in stock for a couple of months and are dealing with the public. So they have made alternative arrangements.

Auron

Fri May 25, 2012 3:37 pm

That doesn't excuse it though - the only reason they're doing it is because they can. Tens of thousands of orders, if not more, makes for a nice bit of extra profit if they can cut corners and send out second class instead.

But when the base product price includes a premium of £3 for delivery cost, for just a small cardboard box, I expect first class postage, especially when their site says 'standard next day delivery' and there is no indication or mention of second class post anywhere.

itimpi

Fri May 25, 2012 3:47 pm

I am not sure where this £3 premium comes in? I got charged a total of £29.46 covering all charges and VAT. It is interesting to note that the RS total charge for a similar order (I have an order with both) is £30.81 so they are charging a premium compared to Farnell.

Auron

Fri May 25, 2012 4:00 pm

itimpi wrote:I am not sure where this £3 premium comes in? I got charged £25 + VAT for a total of £29.46. It is interesting to note that RS total charge is £30.81 so they are charging a premium compared to Farnell.
I linked to pricing information above - the Raspberry Pi Model B is supposed to be a base price of $35 - you then need to add taxes and delivery. With VAT in the UK, that would equal approximately £26.76 currently. Any cost above that is whatever is added on for delivery etc.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/826

itimpi

Fri May 25, 2012 4:07 pm

On that basis the Farnell charge for delivery is a little over £2 (since delivery also incurs VAT). That seems a very reasonable charge to me.

Auron

Fri May 25, 2012 4:12 pm

It's reasonable, but it's also reasonable to expect that would be first class delivery, when their website stresses about next day delivery and makes no mention of second class post. If eBay sellers can post something bought for between £1 and £2 first class, I'm sure a company like Farnell can do it.

TheCrazyInventor

Fri May 25, 2012 4:32 pm

lb wrote:Ordered with Farnell on launch day, 07:45am. Farnell told it would be finally sent out this week. The week is over, and needless to say I have no Pi and no delivery notification. This is becoming really frustrating...
Same here, ordered on launch day at 11:16. Farnell said it would be delivered this week. I've received a "shipped" email and 3 days after that I've received an INVOICE email. Still no Pi, though...
"Anything that can possibly go wrong, does" -M

drgeoff

Fri May 25, 2012 4:40 pm

drgeoff wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:
Interesting. My order 165519xx is timed at 16:20 on 3rd March.
I've had several updates; 4th March, 6th March; 20th March; 30th March; then the one on 27th April that virtually everyone received.
Yesterday I received a further email to say my Pi had been despatched. At about the same time several changes also occurred on my account.
Are you really trying to say that from 3rd March, when you pressed the button you have had nothing from Farnell at all?
I've just now checked my bank account and unlike yesterday morning when the the difference between "Current Balance" and "Available Balance" was zero it is now £29.46. That figure exactly equals the £24.55 + £4.91 VAT shown on the Farnell website against my order using a debit card. So, despite no communication of any kind from Farnell since I clicked the order button on 3 March, it looks like something is happening. And the "Line Status" has changed from "Back order" to "Processing" since I looked a few hours ago. :D

Would be coincidence if the RS and Farnell ones arrived on the same day!
Within the last hour Farnell are now showing my order as completed. I think I know why I have heard nothing from them. When I ordered on 3 March I was logged in to my pre-existing Farnell account and did not need to input any delivery or email address details. It was only after I had clicked the "confirm order" button I realised that the email address they had was the business one which my employer had shut off within hours of my leaving. I immediately updated the address on the Farnell site but it looks like an order entry on their database grabs the current address at order time and ignores subsequent updates. If so, I would consider that a bug.

Still nothing more from RS since their email of 15 May confirming my order and saying dispatch within 7 working days. The race is on to see which arrives first!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

faker_

Fri May 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Since I've been complaining a lot, finally some good news.
I got the "it's shipped" e-Mail today (at 16:35CEST).
Fun fact: my CC has still not been charged.

fromagique

Fri May 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Yesterday my ship date was listed as 29 May. Today the status on my order listing is "Received", changed from "Back Order". But if I view the order details by clicking on the "PO" link, it says the status is still "Back Order" and the ship date is now 08 June. :( Weren't those ship dates supposed to be "firm"? Apparently mine is soft-serve, and keeps melting down the calendar.

fromagique

Sat May 26, 2012 8:13 pm

And today the melting continues... ship date is back to 18 June. And my card has been charged for $50 and change, as someone else has noted. :evil:

ringz

Sun May 27, 2012 12:02 am

My Raspi arrived today 26 May 2012, Saturday afternoon. I ordered 4th March.

Martyn.

fromagique

Sun May 27, 2012 5:27 am

It's a mighty funny kind of queue they're using... I ordered mid-morning on 1st March (UTC-8), order #171085, and the order is still listed as back ordered, with 18 June as ship date. Yet you (@ringz) have received yours already when you ordered 4th March. How very annoying. (Note, I'm glad you've received your Pi... you're not the entity that's annoying me.) :)

Perhaps there's some bistromathics involved in their order system...

TheCrazyInventor

Sun May 27, 2012 8:08 am

Ah, mine finally arrived yesterday at around 15:00 through the mailbox. The packaging Farnell uses is absolutely worthless, though. Just a flimsy little cardboard box with a static shielding bag in it... Oh well, I should stop complaining. The damn thing is finally here. :)
"Anything that can possibly go wrong, does" -M

JohnW

Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 am

I ordered mine from Farnell on March 3rd, got a couple of emails a while ago, the last one predicted delivery in the week starting 28th May.
On Wednesday I noticed the order status had changed, and got a dispatch e-mail Wendesday afternoon. The Pi was waiting for me when I got home from work on Friday

zebo-the-fat

Sun May 27, 2012 8:45 am

I received an email from Farnell (UK) saying my Pi would be delivered in the week commencing June 4th. On Friday I had an email saying it had been dispatched :D
I was hoping it would arrive on Saturday so I could play with it over the weekend, no luck ... so I will have to wait until Monday :(
Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

dukla2000

Sun May 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Whenever Farnell did the ETA emails I was told w/c 28 May. Thursday I got the dispatched email, postie delivered (2nd class Royal Mail) on Saturday. Ordered 3 March 11h00ish.
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

CrysisLTU

Tue May 29, 2012 11:44 am

It says for me processing for a few days now. When it will be shipped out? No email yet...

DavidBullock

Tue May 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Ordered evening 3rd March
Expected Delivery Week Commencing 28th May
Arrived 28th May

faker_

Wed May 30, 2012 3:03 pm

Mine also finally arrived (DE).

Ordered: 29/02
Sent: 25/05
Delivered: 30/05

mawa85

Wed May 30, 2012 4:21 pm

mine was also sent on May 25 but I got nothing today [DE] :-(

stecklars

Wed May 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Well, I am a little bit confused reading your entries here.

I ordered at the evening of March 02 on de.farnell.com (Farnell Germany). Order no. Is 165358XX.

I have never gotten any ETA at all.
The only mails I got from Farnell are my order confirmation mail on March 2, an "Good news - delivery of your Raspberry Pi" mail on April 27 and an "Accept our AGBs (German equivalent of terms of service) mail (Yes, I acknowledged them.)

However my order is still at back order and I still haven't gotten any real ETA from them except for "end of June" in the April 27 mail. There's also no estimated shipping date on the "My Orders" page of the farnell website...

However somehow I ended up placing two orders with them because I also registered my interest. So on March 30, I got the "Pre-order your Raspberry Pi" mail. I had to order on a separate page and got another order no.: ORP0018XX
There seems to be no way of tracking the status of this order because the site isn't connected to the main site of Farnell, it seems.

Because of this duplicate order issue I contacted them on May 21 and got an automatic reply stating they would answer in 48 hours but they didn't.

Has anyone got the same problem or any advice for me on what to do?

I mean I've got a Pi now because I desperately ordered one on eBay for 90 Euros but I'd still like to know what's going on with my farnell order.

Return to “General discussion”