asPie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:35 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

Re: Security section/subsection

Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:23 am

OP - "but brute force attacks, etc. How would you protect yourself? How?"

.htaccess file edit ?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 20941
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Security section/subsection

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:36 am

bubbl wrote:
duberry wrote:
bubbl wrote:Cool. Ignorance is bliss.
Eh what? That is the best digital securty advice any one can use ;
Simply DO NOT CONNECT TO ANY NETWORK .
And your safe no ignorance required.

And i cant find on google the refrence for this infosec bombshell ! :evil:
oh, captain obvious, what're you doing here then, breaking your own advice? isn't it ironic? :twisted:
Warning. We do not tolerate personal insults here. And you seem to be really going off on one here, which is putting my back up, and others by the tone of the replies. Your point could easily be made without hyperbole. Try it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

bubbl
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact: Website

Re: Security section/subsection

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:47 pm

asPie wrote:OP - "but brute force attacks, etc. How would you protect yourself? How?"

.htaccess file edit ?
what if your server doesn't include .htaccess file and is using other services?
you know that, but I assume there are people who don't know that.
We're not here because we are free. We're here because we are not free. There is no escaping reason. No denying purpose. Because we both know without purpose, we would not exist.
http://www.bartbania.com/

User avatar
Offcenter
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:57 pm
Location: Northwestern New Jersey USA

Re: Security section/subsection

Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:52 pm

I vote for a new section on security.
As a newbie myself, I can tell you that it is a VERY confusing and daunting job trying
find info on something like this, ESPECIALLY when there is SO MUCH info out there
all mixed together and, as a newbie, you are not even sure what you are supposed
to be searching for in the first place.
A separate section on security would make for good reading and learning.

Just my two cents...
George in New Jersey.
(learning a little bit every day.)
(and darned confused most of the time!)

asPie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:35 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

Re: Security section/subsection

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:31 am

bubbl wrote:
asPie wrote:OP - "but brute force attacks, etc. How would you protect yourself? How?"

.htaccess file edit ?
what if your server doesn't include .htaccess file and is using other services?
you know that, but I assume there are people who don't know that.
You make a very good point, and there I too would become lost as to an answer.
I am for a security section that is educational, as I like to learn, like many do.

bubbl
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact: Website

Re: Security section/subsection

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:13 pm

asPie wrote:
bubbl wrote:
asPie wrote:OP - "but brute force attacks, etc. How would you protect yourself? How?"

.htaccess file edit ?
what if your server doesn't include .htaccess file and is using other services?
you know that, but I assume there are people who don't know that.
You make a very good point, and there I too would become lost as to an answer.
I am for a security section that is educational, as I like to learn, like many do.
so, by far, there's four of us who want such a section. that's something for a start :)
We're not here because we are free. We're here because we are not free. There is no escaping reason. No denying purpose. Because we both know without purpose, we would not exist.
http://www.bartbania.com/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 20941
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Security section/subsection

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Not wishing to wee on anyone's fireworks...

STATISTICS
Total posts 450976 • Total topics 57472 • Total members 76348

I've been discussing this with some mods at Foundation people, there are changes afoot that may cover this sort of question. Not sure of timescales.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “General discussion”