User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 10:43 am

Cool, nice to see things more organised :-D
In the announcement of the forums change-over, Eben promised that all permalinks to old topics/posts would continue to work with the new forums. Will that still hold true, with the "splitting and copying" of old threads?

User avatar
scep
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53 am

Re: Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 10:54 am

Good question! Not, sure, I'll test it when i get a chance.

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 11:39 am

Also...
I guess the mods can't possibly hope to be able to re-categorise all existing topics into one of the new sub-forums. Maybe there should be a specific (stickied) thread where people could suggest which sub-forum a particular old topic should be moved to?

And maybe there should be more language-specific programming sub-forums? E.g. Scratch, Ruby, ASM, BASH, etc.

User avatar
Morgaine
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 6:18 pm

This looks like an excellent start, scep, good work!

I'll try to provide feedback as experience brings things to light. It looks very usable, and the only omission I've detected so far is the lack of a catchall "Other hardware" forum under the "Hardware and peripherals" category, which doesn't seem to have an obvious default.

Cheers! :D

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

User avatar
johnbeetem
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: The Mountains
Contact: Website

Re: Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 6:42 pm

I guess adding all the new categories and sub-categories is a good idea, provided that people bother to post in the appropriate sub-category. We've had a lot of posts in the wrong category when there were only a few of them, so it will be interesting to see what happens when there are many.

My first impression reminded me of Mel Brooks' The Twelve Chairs (1970) where Ostap Bender and Ippolit Vorobyaninov go into a Soviet public building after hours to get information on the chairs. They go past innumerable bureaucratic doors including the "Bureau of Bureaus and Desks" before finally finding the "Bureau of Tables and Chairs".

User avatar
scep
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53 am

Re: Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 6:55 pm

johnbeetem wrote: My first impression reminded me of Mel Brooks' The Twelve Chairs (1970) where Ostap Bender and Ippolit Vorobyaninov go into a Soviet public building after hours to get information on the chairs. They go past innumerable bureaucratic doors including the "Bureau of Bureaus and Desks" before finally finding the "Bureau of Tables and Chairs".
:D It is kind of like that, but we decided that it would be better to have too many to start with than too few - it's trivial to merge topics if needed once we've seen how it goes for a bit. Most people will ignore the stuff that doesn't interest, but if you are working on a Debian distribution, for example, it's nice to have that definitive forum.

User avatar
scep
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53 am

Re: Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Morgaine wrote:This looks like an excellent start, scep, good work!

I'll try to provide feedback as experience brings things to light. It looks very usable, and the only omission I've detected so far is the lack of a catchall "Other hardware" forum under the "Hardware and peripherals" category, which doesn't seem to have an obvious default.
thanks! Though all the mods and admin were behind this - I just typed stuff in :)

The Other Hardware' is a good point, we may end up putting that in or renaming / shifting other stuff after we've seen how the new structure is used for a while. Thanks for the input.

User avatar
Morgaine
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Haha, John. :P

Well I think scep is going about this the right way, trying to find a logical classification that separates out the major topics. If some forums end up unused, that's not a problem, they can always be deleted later. In contrast, splitting up forums that have proven too varied is difficult to get right and a lot of work as well.

Given that we'll have umpteen millions of posts here in due course, the attempt to partition discussions by subject matter is very worthwhile.

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

User avatar
Morgaine
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Reading through some of the discussions, I think we may need a forum exclusively for Language Wars. :D
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

HansH
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:49 am

Re: Forum changes

Sat May 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Nice work !

User avatar
johnbeetem
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: The Mountains
Contact: Website

Re: Forum changes

Sun May 20, 2012 1:09 am

Morgaine wrote:Reading through some of the discussions, I think we may need a forum exclusively for Language Wars. :D
I haven't seen a good Language War here for quite a while. They were usually on the Education forum, but now that people are trying to get boards up and succeeding and playing with fun stuff and hooking up blinkenlights I haven't seen much discussion of Education lately :-) Besides, RapPi language wars have been pretty tame, with most people respectfully agreeing to disagree.

User avatar
Morgaine
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Forum changes

Sun May 20, 2012 1:26 am

scep, "Feedback and Requests" accumulated a huge variety of very different topics during the time that there wasn't much of a forum split, and it's quite a cauldron now. Very reasonable topics scroll off really rapidly just because of its catchall nature.

Wading through its plethora of topics, I think that many of these discussions will migrate naturally into the new forums, but I wonder, will people wishing to give feedback or suggestions on software issues realize that they should post in the "USING THE RASPBERRY PI" or "PROGRAMMING" forums, but not in the "RASPBERRY PI FOUNDATION" forum? Similarly for feedback/suggestions on hardware.

I'm not sure exactly what to recommend, but there may not be quite enough hints in the forum names to redirect feedback, requests and suggestions to their best locations. "RASPBERRY PI FOUNDATION-->Feedback and Requests" is a very strong attractor. I wonder if its scope could be narrowed in some way.

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

User avatar
scep
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53 am

Re: Forum changes

Sun May 20, 2012 9:04 am

Morgaine wrote: but there may not be quite enough hints in the forum names to redirect feedback, requests and suggestions to their best locations. "RASPBERRY PI FOUNDATION-->Feedback and Requests" is a very strong attractor. I wonder if its scope could be narrowed in some way.

Morgaine.
The forums and subforums will get handy guidance heading in the next few days which should help direct traffic.

arm2
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Re: Forum changes

Tue May 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Is the Announcement section for Official postings only?
Are any of the headings moderated? i.e. need moderator approval before it appears publicly!
That works very effectively for many announcement sections of newsgroups.
I will need shortly to 'Announce' a new Raspberry Pi specific hardware item, which is the appropriate section? Announcements or 'Ye Olde Shop' -> 'Hardware for sale'?
A bit dissapointed that Distributions wasn't renamed as Operating System Distributions as I previously suggested and others agreed. Reasoning is that your main target market and many others will have no idea what 'Distribution' means.

User avatar
scep
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53 am

Re: Forum changes

Tue May 22, 2012 10:08 pm

arm2 wrote:Is the Announcement section for Official postings only?
Are any of the headings moderated? i.e. need moderator approval before it appears publicly!
That works very effectively for many announcement sections of newsgroups.
I will need shortly to 'Announce' a new Raspberry Pi specific hardware item, which is the appropriate section? Announcements or 'Ye Olde Shop' -> 'Hardware for sale'?
A bit dissapointed that Distributions wasn't renamed as Operating System Distributions as I previously suggested and others agreed. Reasoning is that your main target market and many others will have no idea what 'Distribution' means.
We totally agree as it happens ;) - the category descriptions from Wordpress didn't directly map to the categories in phpBB. They will be back... In the meantime I have fixed the Distros heading, thanks for the spot :)

As for that announcement, drop us a PM nearer the time. Ta!

arm2
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Re: Forum changes

Wed May 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks for the info.
Can I suggest that threads regarding Real Time Clocks (RTCs) are moved into Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.) ?

Return to “General discussion”