ravedadave

Kylo TV Web browser now gone open source!

Sat May 19, 2012 4:44 am

Hi guys,

Hillcrest Labs have open sourced their award winning kylo web browser based on the Gecko engine.

http://kylo.tv

I use this for all my web browsing on my windows htpc and it rocks!

Their is already talk on their forums of interest in porting to linux this would be amazing on a pi a cheap tv web browser.

Take a look.

Dave

AndrewS

Re: Kylo TV Web browser now gone open source!

Sat May 19, 2012 7:32 am

Nice to see that they've given https://github.com/teamkylo/kylo-browse ... structions and not just a raw source-code dump, which is the "Open Sourcing" approach taken by some companies. Never used (or heard of) Kylo but it seems to be based on top of Mozilla's cross-platform XULRunner so might not take too much effort for somebody to port to Linux?

kwood1138

Tue May 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Hey, I'm the lead developer of Kylo. This post came through a Google alert and I thought I'd butt in and say hello.

I'd love to see Kylo ported to Linux for the Raspberry Pi. Contact me through the kylo forums or via Github and I'll do my best to support you.

We actually had a desktop linux port underway several versions ago, but we ran into some issues and wound up abandoning it. You're right that because Kylo is based on the XULRunner/Gecko library, it's already mostly cross-platform. We just have a couple components that handle mouse events and the on-screen keyboard that need to be ported. Then there's general quirks and discrepancies that need to be resolved (I think we ran into things like a full-screen veil that wound up solid black). And of course, the build script would need a lot of massaging, but you can probably get started without it.

Good luck! And thanks for checking out Kylo!

ravedadave

Wed May 23, 2012 6:38 am

Excellent!,

I think Kylo is a killer app for web browsing on the TV, it would be great to see this on the pi, I have very limited linux development experience, but would love to see this happen,

Keep up the amzing work,

Dave.

Return to “General discussion”