Phil Spiegel

Noobs Options?: Include Licence Key Entry in Noobs/Config?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:57 am

Would it be a useful idea to add the licence key entry / line editing as an option in the Config program ?....

So that; a user can clearly see what licences are enabled in their Pi (or just those which match that particular Pi ?)
So that Licences can be added easily - but not deleted - [although this might be a requiremnt if the list it too long ?]
I think it would encourage the taking up of licences (actively promote them), and help user management of them.

(I admit to having 'recreated the need' for myself, by having changed over to fresh copies of Noobs, with all my previous licence codes saved on older cards - but I do still have a copy of the emails with the codes, so I can re-enter the data)

Personally, I'd prefer the wording of 'Overscan Disable or Enable' to be clarified !! To me, as a Broadcast Engineer, Overscan is when the scan/raster/display DOES go beyond the edge of the visible screen, and not when it doesn't !!! (but then, I think I count from 1, and not 0, too 8-) )
The 'correct' description for what the software offers is to 'underscan' - which results in a black border - also familiar to peopled watching with different format monitors eg 16x9 letterboxed on 4x3, or 4x3 pillarboxed on 16x9.

None of these options appear to display, in the menu, what the current status is - leaving the user 'blind' in configuring them. - would that be a possibility?

And if 'multi-OS' partitioning NOOBS - is there any whay that only a CHOSEN OS partition/configuration can be reset, without losing ALL the others automatically? [ I had a failed Packman/ Update of my RISCOS system, which prevented it rebooting ... but I appeared to have to lose all3 OSes I had installed in order to recover the situation ... it makes a Multi-OS option of NOOBs rather counter-productive ?? - better to stick to 1 only per card, as I had before??

DeeJay

Re: Noobs Options?: Include Licence Key Entry in Noobs/Confi

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Perhaps the NOOBS Issues Tracker would be a good place to make your suggestions/requests?

With regard to Codec Licences - these are maintained in /boot/config.txt, and NOOBS already has an editor available directly from the Recovery Console for editing that file for your current installed OS.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Phil Spiegel

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Not really, since I 'raised the issue' for discussion purposes, rather than reporting a fault. Isn't that what a Forum is for??? :)
Opinions.

DeeJay

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Just trying to help. Seems to me you can discuss it and have opinions, but if the developers don't have it brought to their attention, or if there is some fundamental practical impediment that they might point out to you, nothing will have been accomplished.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

kangus

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Just trying to help
I had to hunt all over to find where the config.txt file was, you would think a link on the page with they sell the codec would be nice.
I agree that having the config.txt in the root of the NOOBS would be a better option but I doubt that the Os's could reach that directory except during the install, which is when they would need that information anyway...... :geek:

rpdom

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Phil Spiegel wrote:Personally, I'd prefer the wording of 'Overscan Disable or Enable' to be clarified !! To me, as a Broadcast Engineer, Overscan is when the scan/raster/display DOES go beyond the edge of the visible screen, and not when it doesn't !!! (but then, I think I count from 1, and not 0, too 8-) )
The 'correct' description for what the software offers is to 'underscan' - which results in a black border - also familiar to peopled watching with different format monitors eg 16x9 letterboxed on 4x3, or 4x3 pillarboxed on 16x9.
This depends on if you are using a computer monitor or a TV. The TV usually has (or emulates)overscan where the display goes outside the visible border (like a broadcast signal does), and so you need the overscan option enabled to ensure the full image is in the visible area. A computer monitor doesn't have overscan and just displays what is sent to it, so you need to disable the overscan to get rid of black border around the image.

Return to “General discussion”