digity

raspberry pi's croak after a while?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:05 am

I've got 3 RPi's, one of which is the 256 MB version. All of a sudden a couple weeks ago my 256 MB Pi started booting only sometimes and when it did boot up successfully, it would lock up while running Openelec and/or Raspian. Now, one of my 512 MB's is starting to lock up (in Openelec). Before this, both Pi's were rock solid running Openelec and/or Raspian and their perspective hardware (SD card and wifi usb adapter). I tried the affected Pis' wifi adapters and SD cards with the 3rd unaffected Pi and it boots and runs flawlessly. This leads me to believe Raspberry Pi's stop working after a certain amount of time. Is this true? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Heater

Re: raspberry pi's croak after a while?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:32 am

No and no.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:02 am

Everything stops working after a certain amount of time, but the time varies. :)

The Pi should work for tens of years at least, or you have a faulty/damaged one.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

gstreeter

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:25 am

I've had a couple of my Pis running non stop since I acquired them. One is a 256 and the other a 512Mb version. The only problem I have come across is the SD cards breaking at the top corner where the write protect switch is fitted. This seems to be wear and tear from insert/extract cycles and causes bad electrical connections. Sometimes a Pi would not boot until the card was reseated. I've replaced several broken cards over the last year. I remove the cards regularly to back them up hence the wear.

Pull the SD card and have a close look for any cracks in the case near the connector.

digity

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:09 am

Well I don't think its the SD card readers as I've probably inserted & removed SD cards less than 10 times for each RPi in the 1 year I've owned them.

Phil Spiegel

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:29 am

digity wrote:Well I don't think its the SD card readers as I've probably inserted & removed SD cards less than 10 times for each RPi in the 1 year I've owned them.
Phil: Well in that case, its worth trying a few repeated insertions of the cards to 'wipe' the contacts, and then try again. It costs nothing to try.
'Plugs and Sockets' and 'Power Supplies' are the major problem points with hardware: another option is a deteriorating power supply or its contacts
resulting in a noisier power line: the potential wear on the power suppply socket is a 'major concern' of mine; problen avoidance says use a (Mains**) power socket with an inbuilt switch, so that Power-Off/ Power off Resets are achieved with no physical stress to the Pi

**UK terminology for AC Power Supply - not to be confused with Water in Pipes

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 am

It could also be worn out SD cards - they do have a limited number of write cycles and you may have exceeded that. Can you try with new SD cards and new OS installs to see if that fixes the problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”