milhouse

Re: Request for Failing sdcards

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:01 am

danieleftodi wrote: here is more low-down fact about the SDcard (I see it says "Sandisk" but it says "Kingston" on the card...):
Vendor ID: 0x0781 (SanDisk Corporation)
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Were you by any chance using a SanDisk USB card reader to access the Kingston SD Card in order to obtain that information? The PC is probably reporting the USB vendor details of the *card reader* and not the SD memory card. Use a different USB card reader (as long as it's not another SanDisk!) and you'll get a different vendor.

ng28

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:08 pm

How to get the SD card details like ID, vendor etc. I am using Sandisk 4g micro sd class 4 card and its not working. I thought let me get the card id details and match it with the list of good cards on wiki.

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards

did google but no avail. can someone explain this please.

I tried all options of the below options
2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian with following image writer
win32diskimager-binary
flashnul-1rc1
and also tried following xbmc s/w
r11888.img
raspbmc-win32

thanks

Molski

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:12 am

I purchased the Kingston - 32 GB SDHC Class 10 (SD10V) from the verified peripherals page.

I can ship it if need be.

First error:

Repeating errors:

alitheg

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 pm

I am also seeing these errors on a Kingston card, the SD10G2/16GB - which is listed on the wiki as compatible. Happy to try changes or to post the card.

It correctly recognises the card, and the capacity, but throws the same errors trying to boot:

gragib

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:18 pm

I have a 256MB RAM Pi (Pi1) and a 512MB RAM Pi (Pi2).

Pi2 boots with one of the many SD cards I have. Pi1 refuses to boot when this card is inserted. All my other ~5 SD cards work fine in both.

mikegco

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:37 am

alitheg wrote:I am also seeing these errors on a Kingston card, the SD10G2/16GB - which is listed on the wiki as compatible.
I have the same issue with this card. Fails to boot on either of my Pi's (256 and 512) using the latest Raspbian image that works fine with an 8GB Class 6. 1A power supply and no other issues with my beloved Pi's that run 24/7.

Is this issue with SD cards being addressed as buying based on the verified list of SD cards seems at best a game of roulette?

patou1664

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:44 pm

My kingston ultimateX 100X 32go class 10 is not working either.
But it's in the list of working cards.
Same errors than previous kingston

weirdo

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:03 pm

I've got a Kingston MicroSDHC 16GB Class 10 (with SD-adapter). The model and productcode are "SDC10/16GB" "N0390-002.A00LF".

The card should work according to the wikipage, but I think, that the person has another generation of it.

It's not possible to load the partition table from the kernel and it's showing the following errors:

'timeout in hardware interrupt - cmd18' (1.)
stack-trace (2.)
'timeout in hardware interrupt - cmd12' (3.)
'timeout in hardware interrupt - cmd13' (4.; repeating; this shows up more often than 'error -110')
error -110 (5.; repeating irregularly; only in combination with 'timeout in hardware interrupt - cmd13')

I'm using the GIT-commit f715140.

Where can I send my microSDHC (with SD-adapter) to?

LemmeFatale

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:28 am

My understanding is that Kingston (who does not manufacture the internals of their flash-media) does not use the same contents across the board in their cards, such that even those that are labelled as being the same are not neccesarily identical internally.

This would explain why numerous people are reporting difficulties with cards that others have confirmed as working.

(More information on this here, along with a bit of a segue into matters of fake cards, as well, for those interested.)
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 am

It's much worse than that!

Especially if you do not buy a-brand cards (kingston, sandisk etc) from a reliable source there is a very good chance that its a fake! Not only may it be of bad quality it may not even have the capacity it claims! For example a "16GB" card may actually contain just 2GB of flash, and when full simply overwrite older files!

The internet is awash with horror stories about it, and tips on how to catch fake cards, like this blog:
http://www.ryukent.com/2011/05/how-to-d ... sd-memory/

Just google for "fake kingston", or "fake sandisk"!

I have a feeling that a lot of "SD-card corruption issues" are simply caused by fake SD-cards!

LemmeFatale

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:39 pm

mahjongg wrote:It's much worse than that!

Especially if you do not buy a-brand cards (kingston, sandisk etc) from a reliable source there is a very good chance that its a fake! Not only may it be of bad quality it may not even have the capacity it claims! For example a "16GB" card may actually contain just 2GB of flash, and when full simply overwrite older files!

The internet is awash with horror stories about it, and tips on how to catch fake cards, like this blog:
http://www.ryukent.com/2011/05/how-to-d ... sd-memory/

Just google for "fake kingston", or "fake sandisk"!

I have a feeling that a lot of "SD-card corruption issues" are simply caused by fake SD-cards!
Oh, I know. I was just commenting on genuine Kingston cards and their foibles, specifically. ;)

As far as fake cards go, there's a great resource on that here, too, for what it's worth. It goes without saying that, personally, I would avoid eBay, many third-party sellers on sites like Amazon/Play.com/etc., and so on, as far as flash-media goes.

Worse still is that it's harder to tell from price alone, nowadays, since, last I checked, some vendors of fake media, have started charging real-media prices, now.

Here's the Linux and Mac OS X equivalent to H2Testw, too, by the way, just to complement your link.

It's really nice to see someone else who keeps up with this stuff. Big thumbs-up from me, good sir!
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:01 pm

thanks! <blush>

turha654

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:06 am

Is there any update on the Kingston related issues? Just got one 16GB Class 10 Kingston microSD card which doesn't seem to work. I get exactly the same error as the screenshots the few others above have.

First part of the boot goes ok, ACT led flashes green for a short period, I'm guessing that's when the bootloader is loaded. So clearly it is able to read the card but for some reason a bit later fails?

Same card works fine with Linux and Windows using a microSD -> USB plug. I have also tried an older 2GB Kingston microSD card (using same microSD -> USB plug and Linux system) and that works on this Pi. So Pi is working, the cards are working, but the 16GB Class 10 Kingston card won't work with the Pi.

I tested with the Wheezy image found on the download page as well as the Arch distro, neither worked.

Card details:
Kingston 16GB microSDHC
SDC10/16GB
N0390-002.A00LF
Taiwan

geekmaster

Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:09 pm

My RPi boots fine with an older GPU and CPU firmware, but hangs at "vchiq_get_state: g_state.remote->initialised != 1 (0)" when trying to boot with the newest firmware.

I am using a Transcend "SDHC Class 10 Wi-Fi 16GB" with a 6GB FAT32 partition and a 9GB ext4 partition. It works fine if I copy my old firmware back onto the root or the FAT32 partition.

So it appears that the new firmware broke compatibility with some previously working SD cards, such as mine. I want to use this card because it allows me to drop files onto it over the SD cards built-in wifi (and of course I can SSH into the little linux CPU running inside the SD card too), and it has Magic Lantern on it for when I pop it into my Canon DSLR camera.

It would be nice to use a newer firmware set, but until this regression problem gets fixed I will stick with the firmware that comes with the latest Raspbian distro. Hopefully they won't break that with a broken firmware update.

muiii

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Here are my observations, hoping someone could figure out:
  • - Got a new raspberry model B from 2011.12 purchased with official micro SD card preloaded with NOOPS
    - Worked flawlessly for 3 weeks
    - Then all the sudden was frozen dead
    - Reboot would not even reach the multicolor display, only the read light turns on
    - Swapping to another SD card solve the boot issue
    - No issue on failing SD card, even more incredible, if I 'dd' the whole failing card to another card, pi boots without a hitch with the new card !
Tried the latest firmware boot files on the failing card without any success. It 's like if that card is no longer seen at all by the PI. Whole SD card is fsck clean. Any known electrical issues ?

Thanks.

Return to “General discussion”