Robert_M

The DHL Dodge - Hi-Larious! :-D

Thu May 17, 2012 10:54 pm

A short while ago I came home from the grocery store. As I got closer I could see a sticker of some kind on my front door. It couldn't be FedEx with my second-hand HTPC, which isn't due until Saturday, and it *surely* couldn't be DHL with my Pi, as it hasn't even been 7 business days since I placed my order...

So, guess what it was?

Yep! Looking at the details marked on the sticker, DHL had come by just 15 Minutes after I left the house. I've seen this mentioned so many times on the forum that I've decided to call it the 15 Minute DHL Dodge. This is how it works, apparently: On a sooner-than-expected day, DHL detectives arrive at your home and wait for you to leave. They wait exactly 15 minutes then dash up to the door to "attempt" delivery of your Pi, but instead leave their orange sticker. Currently, I don't have the funds to hire a private eye to follow DHL and verify this theory but I'll bet dollars to dounuts it's 1000% True and Factual.

N.B. Before anyone has to wonder, this truly is meant jokingly, as I *did* find it hi-larious, and chuckled about it the entire time I put away the groceries. How could it not be funny? I'll still get my Pi tomorrow! Rawk!! \m/
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

grumpyoldgit

Re: The DHL Dodge - Hi-Larious! :-D

Thu May 17, 2012 11:04 pm

You are quite wrong on this point. They wait at the end of my road until the highly tuned detector van establishes that I am sitting on the toilet. They can then safely ring the door, drop the card through the letter box and be away in a flash, while I am still hopping down the stairs trying to zip myself up. They also employ Ninjas who are able to crawl up to my front door completely undetected and drop a card through the letterbox without making any sound at all.

Robert_M

Thu May 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Well, see; that strategy wouldn't work on me, because I live in an apartment where the bathroom is adjacent to the front door. If I don't mind embarrassing myself I can just about open the door with one step off the john.

However, this leads me to suspect that they are, in fact, using some sort of high-level machine-intelligence, heuristically-adaptive supercomputer to fine-tune several tactics in order to achieve their stated goal of blanketing the planet with orange stickers.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri May 18, 2012 7:13 am

They had just better not get caught doing this with all of their stickers, or they'll get suspended/fired:

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/H ... Rr2mA.cspx
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 18, 2012 7:48 am

You're lucky. The Amazon guy has an interdimensional portal. S/He can use this to attempt to deliver the parcel in a universe where your address does not exist. This avoids a dangerous journey up your path, the unnecessary expense of a slip of card and the repetitive strain injury of filling it in. It also means they can send the parcel back to Amazon immediately, thus freeing up space in their depot.

However the cost of using the interdimensional portal must be excessive, because it only seems to be used on orders where the next-day-delivery premium has been paid.

markb

Fri May 18, 2012 8:06 am

There's a simple answer - get your stuff delivered to your workplace.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 18, 2012 8:22 am

markb wrote:There's a simple answer - get your stuff delivered to your workplace.
I did. It's my office that apparently doesn't exist.

MadHorseman

Fri May 18, 2012 8:39 am

Back in the UK I managed to grab the red card out of the Postmans hand before he had completed pushing it though the letterbox......he tried to run away, too.

999frogs

Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 am

Robert_M wrote:However, this leads me to suspect that they are, in fact, using some sort of high-level machine-intelligence, heuristically-adaptive supercomputer to fine-tune several tactics in order to achieve their stated goal of blanketing the planet with orange stickers.
Thats where the undelivered Pis are - all linked together at DHL HQ
:D

gcat

Fri May 18, 2012 11:40 am

ParcelForce did the opposite to me. I got an email on Monday saying my package had been dispatched for 24 hour delivery. Naively I assumed that 24 hours from Monday 15th would be on Tuesday 16th... but their intelligence gathering must have told them that I would be in all day on Tuesday ready to receive it, so they decided to wait til Wednesday, when I was out til 11pm, instead. But on the plus side they actually left it with a neighbour instead of doing their usual trick of taking it to some god-forsaken depot in the middle of nowhere, and my girlfriend very kindly collected it for me while I was out (she must know by now that this thing is going to be monopolising both the TV and my attention for quite a while :twisted: so I'm surprised she didn't somehow "lose" the card).

mkopack

Fri May 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Yeah, well, if RS would just keep up with sending out the tracking info LIKE THEY SAID THEY WOULD, we'd have the tracking numbers in advance of delivery and could plan accordingly for what day our package would be arriving, leave a signed note on the door for them, etc.

As it currently stands, with no tracking info, you have no idea what's coming and when, so you can't take steps to take delivery unless you just happen to be home when they come.

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 18, 2012 2:51 pm

mkopack wrote:Yeah, well, if RS would just keep up with sending out the tracking info LIKE THEY SAID THEY WOULD, we'd have the tracking numbers in advance of delivery and could plan accordingly for what day our package would be arriving, leave a signed note on the door for them, etc.

As it currently stands, with no tracking info, you have no idea what's coming and when, so you can't take steps to take delivery unless you just happen to be home when they come.
I think you are being a little unfair. ParcelForce updated tracking details at least 2 or 3 minutes before I got a knock at the door! Good job I was sat there with flask of coffee and a clear view of the road.

praest76

Fri May 18, 2012 3:40 pm

I've never understood this. I used to be a postie. Last thing I ever wanted to have to do was haul folks parcels back to the delivery office.
PRAEst76 [about.me/praest76]
  • Pi¹ - xibalba: OpenELEC, media centre
    Pi² - erebus: Debian Sid, general shell
Raspberry Pi Last.fm group - last.fm/group/Raspberry+Pi

Burngate

Fri May 18, 2012 4:40 pm

My postie plays hunt the parcel. He puts a card through saying "Behind the xxx" (blurred by rain). Next half hour spent wandering round the garden in pouring rain trying to find where the heck he put it. Neighbours think I'm barmy

Robert_M

Fri May 18, 2012 7:11 pm

...aaaaaand :::snatch!::: Got It!

He's back in less than 24 hours. No more Pi in the Sky for me! It's now Pi Playground time.

:D :D :D

Return to “General discussion”