MuckyDucky

Raspberry Pi Cases

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi there,
By way of introduction, I'm Joel, 15 years old, from the UK. I've been a Raspberry Pi enthusiast for almost a year now and have since developed a strong interest in the subject. Lately, I've had my eye on a cheap (ish) laser cutter to make my own Pi cases. While this would be awesome, spending £450 on a laser cutter to make a few cases would obviously be astronomically flamboyant - so I came up with the idea of selling my designs. Even this idea has its flaws, as I've spend a substantial amount of time thinking each and every one through. First, I thought about demand. While this idea may take off, it may also fail (trust me -- I've made plenty of silly investments). However, I could use the cutting machine for a thousand other things.

Anyway, my question; who would buy one of these cases if I were to purchase a laser cutter? I drew up some unconfirmed numbers and worked out £5-£6 GBP shipped inland, and £7 shipped internationally. Of course, this idea is not set in stone, I am simply gathering interest.

In addition to the aforementioned drawbacks, I will also struggle to find a payment processor willing to work with a minor. So how many of you would purchase for Bitcoin? Please reply anyway if not and let me know why -- every bit of feedback helps. :)

Have a great evening.

Take care,
MuckyDucky.

MoosePi

Re: Raspberry Pi Cases

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Very enterprising, but have you looked on Ebay ? the market for Cheap Cases seems to be pretty saturated, from £2.50 inc P&P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transparent-C ... 1006523883
Pi Forum Search and Google yields answers to many questions

MuckyDucky

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 pm

MoosePi wrote:Very enterprising, but have you looked on Ebay ? the market for Cheap Cases seems to be pretty saturated, from £2.50 inc P&P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transparent-C ... 1006523883
That's a good observation, MoosePi.

What do you think of the Bitcoin idea? Maybe a bit of design diversity could change things?

berighteous

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I did an ebay search for "raspberry Pi case" and got 565 results. The market is flooded with $6 cases with free shipping from china. If you make a really pretty case you can get some sales, but I think you'd never make your investment back if you're buying the machine just to make this product.

I'm in the same process. I'm buying a CNC machine primarily to make arcade cabinet kits, but I'm also researching and designing a whole line of products I can cut and produce with the machine - puzzles, wooden toys, dollhouse kits, furniture, decorative carved signs and plaques, etc. I think it's better to take a shotgun approach - make as many products as you can and see if you can sell enough of all of them to make back the investment and turn a profit. Then focus more time and energy on the products you like most and those that sell the most. (they may not be the same products, lol)

MuckyDucky

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:07 pm

berighteous wrote:I did an ebay search for "raspberry Pi case" and got 565 results. The market is flooded with $6 cases with free shipping from china. If you make a really pretty case you can get some sales, but I think you'd never make your investment back if you're buying the machine just to make this product.

I'm in the same process. I'm buying a CNC machine primarily to make arcade cabinet kits, but I'm also researching and designing a whole line of products I can cut and produce with the machine - puzzles, wooden toys, dollhouse kits, furniture, decorative carved signs and plaques, etc. I think it's better to take a shotgun approach - make as many products as you can and see if you can sell enough of all of them to make back the investment and turn a profit. Then focus more time and energy on the products you like most and those that sell the most. (they may not be the same products, lol)
Sounds good, but again - the larger the product to be manufactured, the larger the machine, therefore the larger cost for me...

Thanks for your input so far guys. I've evaluated hundreds of ideas for a small start-up -- websites, online services and the like... All of which I started off for free to gauge interest but none really took off (or started at all). I shall keep thinking then. :)

Thanks guys,
MuckyDucky. :)

mathiasdk1

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Hello MuckyDucky. I think you are having quite an awesome idea, but i just think that the market is allready too big, for such a small fish as you. I would really like to see some of your designs though, and your prices are fair (£6-£7)

Have a nice day
- Mathias

Return to “General discussion”