ErvKosch

Re: Lower Power Mode?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Will the RasPi hardware support a low power mode? Or would that be the function of the OS?

This kinda goes along with the power supply thread. I wanted to set up a webcam to shoot nature photo over the course of a couple of 2-3 months. It would be power by an RV battery and a trickle solar charger. An RV battery was selected because they handle the trickle charges better then a standard car/truck lead acid battery.

Thanks

Svartalf

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Quote from ErvKosch on September 1, 2011, 18:11
Will the RasPi hardware support a low power mode? Or would that be the function of the OS?

That's more of a function of the OS. I think, however, that if you're using an RV deep-cycle coupled with a 10-20W solar panel trickle charge system, you're going to find that it'll run almost indefinitely unless you've got a month's worth of cloudy days. ;)

abishur

Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:36 pm

A quick search for "low power" turns up this thread (first result)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....#038;t=323

In it Low Power/Suspend/Standby are discussed as it relates to Wake on Lan
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:04 pm

The GPU has a very sophisticated power system. Any blocks that are not being used are turned off. So if you are not using H264, all that area is turned off. Not using Audio? That bit's turned off. 3D? Same.

It's all automatic as well, so the Arm doesn't need to know anything about it. This sort of extensive system is required for modern mobile phones to compensate for high CPU clocks battering the battery.

As to the Arm - standard Linux power management.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”