MattS8

Infrared controlled power switch for Raspberry Pi

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 am

Hi guys,

We have just released the RemotePi Board, an intelligent infrared remote controlled Raspberry Pi power switch add-on board.

As more and more people use the Raspberry Pi as a media center front end, the board is aiming to make this setup more user friendly, consumer electronics style, i.e enabling the use of an IR remote control for the media center and allow to switch power of the RPi as well.
RemotePiBoard512x384.jpg
RemotePi Board
RemotePiBoard512x384.jpg (62.57 KiB) Viewed 11464 times
RPiAndBoardFrontB512x384x.jpg
RPiAndBoardFrontB512x384x.jpg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 11464 times
The board allows you to use one button of your choice from almost any existing infrared remote control (i.e your existing Blu-Ray, DVD, TV, etc. remote) to switch the power to the RPi on and off. It “learns” the button you want to use. When switching off the power is not immediately cut off, but the RPi is notified of the intent to shut down the power and will initiate a clean system shut-down to avoid data corruption.
Any received infrared signal is forwarded to the RPi, so it can be used to remote control the mediacenter as well (using LIRC ). The popular XBMC based Mediacenter distributions all support this already.
The board piggy backs on top of the Raspberry Pi and should fit into most cases (after some case modifications). Power can be switched on and off using a pushbutton on the board as well.

You can watch a video of how the board is used here.

A lot more information about the RemotePi Board is available on our website : More info

The price of the board is 18.90 Euro + shipping, I know this is pretty steep, but we use high quality boards and components.

Please let me know your comments, questions and any suggestions you may have by posting here !

Cheers,
Matt

vyruz

Re: Infrared controlled power switch for Raspberry Pi

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:32 pm

Wow, this is exactly what I am already looking for for a couple of months :-)
Do you have any experience in hooking this up with a Logitech Harmony Smart Control?
Which IR receiver is used on this board?
I have a TSOP4836 connected to the GPIO pins of my Pi, and can get it somewhat to work with my Harmony SC, however it doesn't work 100%. Also none of the standard MCE lircd.conf files work for me, I head to manually learn it using 'irrecord'.

Any chance of a money back guarantee in case I can't get it to work with the harmony?

Or you send me one for free and if it works I'll write a nice how-to which you can put on your website to convince other harmony owners to buy :-)

MattS8

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi vyruz,

The Logitech Harmony remotes are universal remotes, so they will work with the RemotePi Board, if you choose one of the RemotePi compatible IR protocols on the Harmony configuration (see the RemotePi website for supported IR protocols).
If you still can choose or want to start over I recommend to select a Philips DVD device or a Microsoft MCE remote in the Logitech Harmony config as the device you use for your Raspberry Pi XBMC setup, these use the RC5 IR protocol... But many others will work as well.

The receiver we use on the board is the TSOP38238, which is similar to the TSOP4836 you are using (slightly different carrier frequency and the 4836 is only for PCM remotes). The RemotePi Board uses the same same LIRC method, so you should be able to re-use your existing lircd.conf file without any changes.

Regarding returning the board, our return policy is that and we will refund the purchase price in case you want to return the board for any reason, but you will have to cover the shipping cost in both directions. Sorry that I can't send you a free board, that would be unfair for our other customers :)

livs

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Matt

Interesting device for mediabox using Pi. I have a question: how manny GPIO pins it uses and which ones?
I ask as I use GPIO pins for a LCD connector so I can not use your board as it is.

Connected LCD like this: http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/0 ... ng-python/

Thanks

MattS8

Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:46 am

Hi livs,

The RemotePi Board uses two GPIO ports, the first one is GPIO 18 (pin 12) for the IR receiver and the second is GPIO 22 (pin 15) for the shutdown signal (see http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals on how I numbered the pins).

If you want to use other GPIO ports you could in theory do so by interrupting the copper trace on the RemotePi Board PCB and wiring a bridge to another unused pin. You would need to change the port assignment in the software (shutdown script and IR receiver port in LIRC).

Matt

MattS8

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:10 am

Hi,

If you are interested in more information, Dylan Durdle has just posted an independent review of the RemotePi Board on his blog.

He has done reviews and comparisons of different Raspberry Pi power controller solutions before and has now added the RemotePi Board to his list. His comparison matrix is especially useful if you would like to get a comprehensive overview of Raspberry Pi power switch options.

Here the links...

RemotePi Board Full Review
Raspberry Pi Power Controller Comparision Matrix
Raspberry Pi General Power Switch Discussion
RemotPi Board Integration Example

PiperCalls

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:15 am

This is exactly what I have been looking for. Question, are you aware of a case suitable for this but also covers the SD card? I saw the case on your website but it unfortunately leaves the SD card exposed which is a no-go.

Thanks...Piper

MattS8

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:19 am

Hi Piper,

One of our customers is using this quite nice case with the RemotePi Board :
http://www.pi-supply.com/product/shortc ... pberry-pi/

The board will fit inside this case, but because the case is not transparent you would need to solder out the LED and the IR receiver from the board, and extend these with 3 cables each to outside the board. In addition you would need to drill a hole for the pushbutton.

We are thinking of creating a version of the RemotePi Board with extended LED and IR Receiver, using a small connector and 5cm extension cable, to be used with non-transparent cases like the one above. So there would be no need for soldering.

Would there be interest for this from others as well ? Any suggestions on how we should do this ?

MattS8

Sun May 11, 2014 8:06 am

Hi,

As we have got a few inquires about a case that fits the Raspberry Pi and the RemotePi Board, we now have added a laser-cut clear acrylic case to our products... This case contains parts specifically designed to host the RemotePi Board perfectly, and therefore requires no modifications, you can find more info on our site msldigital.com

Matt

MattS8

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi again,

Just an update, we have released a new version of the RemotePi Board, designed specifically for the new Raspberry Pi B+ model !
RemotePiBoardPlusSMALL.jpg
RemotePi Board + 2015
RemotePiBoardPlusSMALL.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 6817 times
RPiPlusFrontCSMALL.jpg
RemotePi Board + 2015 with Raspberry Pi B +
RPiPlusFrontCSMALL.jpg (57.84 KiB) Viewed 6817 times
There are new features and improvements over the original RemotePi Board as well :

- Completely re-designed using SMD components, the new RemotePi Board has a 40% smaller footprint than RemotePi Board 2013, size is only 2.3 cm x 5.6 cm
- The power button looks nicer than the previous tactile switch, with an on/off symbol
- There is a version with external IR-receiver and LED, extended with a cable, for case mount available
- The PCB has pads for GND and +5V, you can solder external power cables, if you do not want to use the micro-USB connector
- Less GPIO pins are used, the GPIO connector is only partly covered (only the first 12 pins), this leaves pins free for other applications
- You can invoke power-shutdown from a script or program, the support page shows how this works
- Most importantly (in our opinion :geek: ), the firmware is user-upgradable ! We will offer future (free of course) firmware updates with new features.

Prices have been reduced, too...

Please visit us and check out the new RemotePi Board + at our website

Matt

Return to “General discussion”