GlennP

Trouble Downloading the latest Raspian Whezzy

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:02 am

Hi All,
I asked a question about using the GPIO yesterday and was advised to download the latest Raspian Wheezy, tried it with my broad band it takes around 2 hours, when it lands finally I can't open the zip file as it is corrupt, is there an issue here? or am I being stupid?
Glenn

DeeJay

Re: Trouble Downloading the latest Raspian Whezzy

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:06 am

Responding in your original thread...
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

klricks

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:29 pm

I also have a slow 'broadband' ISP. Takes 2 or 3 hours to DL.
Several times my DL appears to stop at random places without an error message or any indication that anything is wrong other than the file-size is not right. I have to note the expected file size reported by the Firefox DL manager then compare that to the finished DL file-size. If not correct try again...
This happens for me with other large DL's not just from RPi site.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:52 pm

klricks wrote:I also have a slow 'broadband' ISP. Takes 2 or 3 hours to DL.
Several times my DL appears to stop at random places without an error message or any indication that anything is wrong other than the file-size is not right. I have to note the expected file size reported by the Firefox DL manager then compare that to the finished DL file-size. If not correct try again...
This happens for me with other large DL's not just from RPi site.
Indeed, that's good practice. Unfortunately the Foundation cannot really help much here!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

confuseling

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Bittorrent is really good for that - you can even start a bittorrent download, stop the client, replace the file it's writing to with a corrupt 'normal' download, and turn the client back on.

It'll find the broken parts of it and fix it.
http://forums.debian.net

pluggy

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:06 pm

I'd say it barely classifies as broadband if 577MB takes 2 hours.

8 minutes here, and I live in a small town that few have heard of.

I'd get it faster than that on my slightly iffy 3G connection.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

klricks

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:25 pm

confuseling wrote:Bittorrent is really good for that - you can even start a bittorrent download, stop the client, replace the file it's writing to with a corrupt 'normal' download, and turn the client back on.

It'll find the broken parts of it and fix it.
Unfortunately my ISP - Clearwire seems to block any P2P. Torrents are very slow and I am disconnected after only a few hundred bytes.
Last edited by klricks on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

confuseling

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Have you tried switching on encryption? It might help - makes it harder for the ISP to identify torrent traffic. There is normally a setting in the torrent client. Also helps to poke holes in your router's firewall.
http://forums.debian.net

Return to “General discussion”