noseque

Raspberry pi 1 year warranty, legal in Europe?

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:13 am

Hi

I got a faulty raspberry pi. The think is that It was all the time laying around on the shelve and never got to return it until obviously was out of the Farrell warranty of one year.

Te fact is that under European law anything bought under the European community shall get standard warranty of two years as stated in the official European consumer centre network http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consu ... ces_en.htm

quoting:
Your main EU-wide rights as a shopper include:

The 2-year guarantee
If a product turns out to be faulty or not as advertised (‘non-conformity’), you have a 2-year guarantee, which means the seller must repair or replace it free of charge.
The 2-year guarantee is an EU-wide minimum, and the laws in some EU countries.
When asking Farnell about the minimum 2 years warranty in the European union they say that the second year warranty is by the supplier. In this case Raspberry Pi I presume.

My question is: Is it this true? What can I do with my faulty raspberry pi to get my legal minimum 2 years warranty?

Best regards

Here I pot the answer from Farnell:
Dear Sir ******,
After investigation, you may send it to the supplier to see if this can be made ​​and whether it is still under guarantee. Raspberry itself
On the Farnell website you can read in the conditions that Farnell has 1 year warranty and runs through the supplier the second year.
Hoping to have informed you sufficiently.

Sincerely / Kind regards,
Sales Service Advisor
Business Contact Center

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry pi 1 year warranty, legal in Europe?

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:16 am

I assume that Farnell are the supplier in this case (you got it from them?) - they build and market the Raspi, on licence from the Raspberry Pi foundation. So I think they are wrong, so you need to contact them again.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

karlkiste

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 am

I can tell you about the situation in germany: Warranty is 2 years, but there's a "Reverse onus" kicking in after six months. These six months are often extended by a seller as a bonus to a customer. I think, this is the "one year" Farnell speaks about.

What does this mean?

If a thing breaks 5 months after purchase, the seller must replace it, or prove that the part was in perfect condition when sold, i.e. prove that the part was purposely damaged after purchase.

If a thing breaks 7 months after purchase, the buyer must prove that it broke due to a material or manufacturing fault. This is often hard or impossible. You'll probably have to contact a lawyer in that case.

JoeDaStudd

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:23 pm

A lot of retailers do this.
After a year (can be as little as 6 months in my experience) they hand off the warranty to there supplier or the manufacturer.
This means that they don't have to keep warranty stock for items discontinued (or sold) longer then 1 year as well as reducing the number of products they support in-house.
The item in question still has a 2+ year warranty as in accordance with the regulations, its just a little harder and generally more expensive (shipping costs) to get a replacement on warranty.

noseque

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 am

What I understood from Farnell.

When you buy the Raspberry Pi you are accepting their terms and conditions witch includes 1 year warranty only. I'm recalling that RS is also offering only 1 year warranty, correct me if I'm wrong. Farnell says that you have to agree with that before purchasing. But I see here a legal problem with the European law.

There are other cases documented like Appel and other big companies being obligated by judges to extend the warranty to the minimum 2 years.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Apple- ... 23072.html

I hope they can soon change their policies to match the European standards.

Dutch_Master

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:42 am

EU law prohibits any supplier's terms and conditions that disadvantages the customers rights, so even if you 'agreed' to the Farnell limited warranty by buying from them, they still have the legal obligation for the 2 year warranty under EU rules.

However, given the designed-in robustness of the RPi, and quality control in the factory, are you really sure it's the RPi and not some peripheral device that's broken?

noseque

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:58 am

Completely Sure.

The only 2 or 3 times I used it was just to play around with the old Wezzy distro, never connected any external device apart from USB keyboard and Ethernet.

I was also shocked. I agree with you, it's so robust I can not explain how did it stooped working. But checking with a second raspberry pi I could see that SD and power where ok. So indeed a faulty raspberry pi?

jamesh

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:06 pm

noseque wrote:Completely Sure.

The only 2 or 3 times I used it was just to play around with the old Wezzy distro, never connected any external device apart from USB keyboard and Ethernet.

I was also shocked. I agree with you, it's so robust I can not explain how did it stooped working. But checking with a second raspberry pi I could see that SD and power where ok. So indeed a faulty raspberry pi?
OK, if you have tried exactly the same setup on another Pi and it works, then that does indicate a failed board. BUT, can you reflash (or try another) SD card with the very very latest NOOBS install, and check that that does or doesn't work please.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Burngate

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:23 pm

If you are wanting Farnell to replace it, and are willing to go to law to force them to, you are going to have to prove that, while it was lying idle on the shelf, no cat has ever walked over it, and nobody has poured coke over it.
Can you?

The alternative is to rely on their good will, and quoting EU law is unlikely to help.

joan

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 pm

2 years for consumer electronics seems to be accepted in UK law (before the EU there was no limit in UK law for manufacturing flaws or defects).

What is wrong with your Pi?

Return to “General discussion”