jacoman

Re: Version C?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:33 am

Could a version C Raspberry pi be released with the following/ similar spec and a higher price (£30/$48)
same ARM11 Processor
3/4 gig memory (£2/$3.25)
3 3.5 mill jack Audio sockets (In, Out & Mic) (£0.50/$0.80)
4 Usb (£1.50/$2.40)
2 SD Card Slots (£1/$1.60)
Support for external USB Optical Drive (I dont know if this is supported already)
Wi/fi (£5/$8.10) :?
Same Power, HDMI, RJ45 Jack and Composite Video
If These features were there you could use as a normal d/top PC
If you think anything else should be added or I have got prices wrong (they are just guesses) feel free to post :D This isnt just me asking a question

Chris

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:35 am

This has been discussed already, just searchthe forums. Also its not just a case of X amount for X part, theres the space on the board

RobinJ

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:44 am

Quote from Chris on September 1, 2011, 09:35
This has been discussed already, just searchthe forums. Also its not just a case of X amount for X part, theres the space on the board
People are to egoistic to understand that.
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.
Rule #2: A big bucket of water, window, or hammer can nullify Rule #1.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Quote from jacoman on September 1, 2011, 09:33
Could a version C Raspberry pi be released with the following/ similar spec and a higher price (£30/$48)
same ARM11 Processor
3/4 gig memory (£2/$3.25)
3 3.5 mill jack Audio sockets (In, Out & Mic) (£0.50/$0.80)
4 Usb (£1.50/$2.40)
2 SD Card Slots (£1/$1.60)
Support for external USB Optical Drive (I dont know if this is supported already)
Wi/fi (£5/$8.10) :?
Same Power, HDMI, RJ45 Jack and Composite Video
If These features were there you could use as a normal d/top PC
If you think anything else should be added or I have got prices wrong (they are just guesses) feel free to post :D This isnt just me asking a question

I'm sure there will be a Model C, but not for a while, and I would expect a higher powered processor, A8 at 1GHz or similar. Your spec would need a new SoC as some of the feature you want just aren't on the current one.

PoP Memory is an issue at the moment - 512 is the max, and that's pretty difficult to come by.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Svartalf

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Quote from jamesh on September 1, 2011, 13:41
PoP Memory is an issue at the moment - 512 is the max, and that's pretty difficult to come by.

Does that mean that the 1Gb Tegra 2 devices aren't using PoP memory?

obarthelemy

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:10 pm

There's already a "what have we missed" thread.

jamesh

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Quote from Svartalf on September 1, 2011, 13:42
Quote from jamesh on September 1, 2011, 13:41

Does that mean that the 1Gb Tegra 2 devices aren't using PoP memory?

No idea; is it actually available yet? The 512MB is PoP.

Perhaps I should have said those are the limitation to Raspberry Pi, rather than other companies!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Raspberry Pi! It's both a floor wax and a dessert topping!

At $25, guys, I am afraid you are not going to get everything you wish for.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

jacklang

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:55 pm

That is 512mB - megabytes, or 4Gb gigabits

Svartalf

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Quote from jamesh on September 1, 2011, 15:50
No idea; is it actually available yet? The 512MB is PoP.

Heh... Yeah, they're available right now. Got some versions thereof in my possession.

Perhaps I should have said those are the limitation to Raspberry Pi, rather than other companies!

Gotcha. ;)

Svartalf

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Quote from liz on September 1, 2011, 15:53
Raspberry Pi! It's both a floor wax and a dessert topping!

Heh... Almost as obligatory a remark as the famous Parrot rant on Monty Python's Flying Circus. :D

At $25, guys, I am afraid you are not going to get everything you wish for.

Heh... You'd think that this reality would soak in eventually...but apparently hope springs eternal. ;)

Arreladd

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:41 pm

I think if he is looking for something small and compact to use as a standard desktop to have most of those options He could get a cheap mini atx or itx mobo with atom cpu and a small hdd and power supply and a stick of memory for about 100 which includes shipping. from newegg. the only thing that would add to the price would be a case, optical drive, and operating system. Granted what I quickly put together was an celeron micro atx 1.3ghz with 256MB ram the cheapest Powersupply and a recertified 80GB HDD but if its for a cheap desktop computer for everyday use.

iAreNewb

Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:25 am

Well, honestly, Raspberry Pi is not just the hardware, it's also the name of the non-profit organization behind the hardware. It is, I assume, difficult enough to get people to work on the project and push out the R-Pi for mass consumption, as is. We, the general public, are still around 2-3 months from actually being able to *buy* the R-Pi. Until the foundation can show that they will be widely supported by consumers and press, you can't attempt to throw a bunch of unrelated features based on X prices at the R-Pi team, because you have to consider size, development, and contract implications. Not all hardware is compatible with the upcoming R-Pi, and the foundation might not be able to get those parts as cheap as a larger manufacturer might. Moreover, you have to fit it inside the space of a credit card, and you only have to compare the device to your generic high-power ARM phone to see how hard that might be.

I'm sure that in a year or two, after the R-Pi is out and selling quickly, it'll be easier. If the foundation charges those who are *not* part of education (teachers or students) or charity a little extra (maybe $2.50 or $5), then it'll definitely be easier economically speaking. (I'm assuming that as a NPO, most of their revenue has to go back into funding the foundation, though I'm not sure if that's absolutely all, or a % cut, but NPOs have open-to-all income reports, IIRC)

hajj_3

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:07 pm

why do you need 3 jacks, can't mic and input just use the same socket?

trogper

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Version D / Tegra Pi
cost $45
Tegra 3
1 GB ram
RTC
maybe some little memory for bootloader :-)
rest as in vB

i know it will be hard to design a board with a new, lot different processor

obarthelemy

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:01 pm

IMHO, very little of the success depends on the hardware anyway.
- as is, the Pi i enough to do what they want it to do: run Python
- again, personal and humble opinion, but my issues are mainly with real cost, as opposed to headline figure: if you factor in a kb, ms, SD, psu, hub, wifi, and screen, the thing becomes more expensive than a budget smartbook.
- as has been repeatedly demonstrated, success will depend on software and documentation. This are traditionally extremely weak points with Linux.

bradburts

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:24 pm

How does 256MB work out for the RPI in real life? I have always been spoilt with linux with lots of memory.
My Ubuntu server uses around 256MB running Samba, svn, Apache, MySQL. Sometime more. This make me a little nervous about what I will (or won't) be able to do with a RPI (I would rather not consider swap because its flash...)
If C cannot be more then how about less? Drop the audio, a USB audio chip is cheap enough.
What & how many apps can we can expect to run in 128MB or 256MB?

Lakes

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:55 am

I can see people using SD cards like Boot floppy`s..... SD card wallet anyone? :)

kme

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 am

- as has been repeatedly demonstrated, success will depend on software and documentation. This are traditionally extremely weak points with Linux.Huh?! Linux is heavily documented, there are tons and tons of documentation and support pages on the Net and the entire thing is OPEN source. It isn't like Widows where you have to pay up front just to get access to an API.

Windows doesn't even have a "man page" system. How lousy is that?

And then all major Linux distros has 20,000+ programs to play with and with a documentation level way above any crappy Windows freeware stuff. And for commercial Windows software, you don't get professional docs except if you pay extra for these separately.

obarthelemy

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:18 am

@bradburts it really really depends on the apps, and on the way you setup your OS.

Vindicator

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:35 am

The funny thing is that most of these request are available on many other boards but at triple or more the cost of the Raspi, hence beagle board, panda board trim slice, sheeva plug
Etc. (not providing links these as this is a RPI site look them up there out there) so if you want these features they are available from standard retailer sites, but not at anywhere near the cost of the Raspberry-pi.
So I guess I am saying the features are available and all you need to do is locate and purchase the boards that have them.
I would hope that a version c will be available also but it will probably be a bug fix for the upcoming products rather than a completely different product.
I am personally impressed that they have been able to keep their price in that everything else in USA at least, has increased in price in the last year or so.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

cnxsoft

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:52 am

Quote from bradburts on November 13, 2011, 23:24
How does 256MB work out for the RPI in real life? I have always been spoilt with linux with lots of memory.

Chrome is working in the emulator with 256 MB.
So I expect you'd be able to browse the web, check email and use openoffice application if you wanted. It's just you'd have to use one program at the time, I assume it won't multitask very well.

obarthelemy

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:23 am

Quote from kme on November 14, 2011, 01:15
- as has been repeatedly demonstrated, success will depend on software and documentation. This are traditionally extremely weak points with Linux.Huh?! Linux is heavily documented, there are tons and tons of documentation and support pages on the Net and the entire thing is OPEN source. It isn't like Widows where you have to pay up front just to get access to an API.

Windows doesn't even have a "man page" system. How lousy is that?

And then all major Linux distros has 20,000+ programs to play with and with a documentation level way above any crappy Windows freeware stuff. And for commercial Windows software, you don't get professional docs except if you pay extra for these separately.

This is probably the wrong place to have that discussion, but I strongly disagree. It's not the quantity of doc that counts, it's the quality and relevance. From the point of view of a beginner (which I am, for Linux):
- source code doesn't help. I'm not combing through millions of lines of codes to work out how stuff happens.
- plenty of doc actually creates confusion. I don't want plenty of docs, I want the one doc that pertains to my question
- incompatibilities between linux variants and versions within the same variant compound the problem. Does the doc I googled up apply to my config ?
- working out how to formulate a good question / google query requires some understanding of the issue and vocabulary. Which noobs, by definition, don't have.

Example: I recently spent about 20 hours trying to work out how to stop some programs from autolaunching, and make others autolaunch. In the end I gave up, I'm doing the launching manually at each boot. If you think I'm dumb, we can discuss that project and my flailing about, it will be entertaining. In a separate thread, though ^^

kme

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:48 am

Example: I recently spent about 20 hours trying to work out how to stop some programs from autolaunching, and make others autolaunch. In the end I gave up, I'm doing the launching manually at each boot. If you think I'm dumb, we can discuss that project and my flailing about, it will be entertaining. In a separate thread, though ^^Yes that should be a separate thread and I'm not even sure it has any relevance on this site.

You are a Windows guy and think Windows is normal. The fact is that Windows is a very peculiar system breaking about any rule on how an OS works. Which is why Windows works so poorly.

obarthelemy

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:39 am

It does, as an example of how Linux doc is lacking, and cannot be relied on for the simplest stuff, which reinforces how important it is for the Pi community to come out with noob-friendly docs and tutorials.
It's not so much that I am a windows guy and that I look for the windows way to do things; it's that I need documentation, and that relevant doc is sorely hard to find, and then lacking. You can always attribute to PEBKAC, but at some point it stops being believable.

Return to “General discussion”