Havinit

Why must I login to view a subscribed post from email?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:44 am

Topic says it all pretty much. I belong to umpteen phpBB forums, but I've never before been met with a login prompt when following the link supplied in a topic-notification email, just so I can read the replies that have arrived in my absence.

Where's the sense in this? If I want to reply, of course I need to login, but WhyTactualF is this necessary just to read it? It's not a private forum and if I arrived there by any other route this would not be a requirement. I feel a little like I'm being punished for my membership!

Bad usability. Or do you just assume Pi fans to be gluttons for extraneous effort?

(Sorry for probably sounding like such a dick but this particular Pi fan loathes redundant effort)

duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Re: Why must I login to view a subscribed post from email?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:51 pm

post the link ..

its probably(almost defiantly*imho) possible to (re)construct a link to view without the need to login
any way you share the problem you face with no (relevant) data (link) :P for other to test/tinker with WT Foolishness is that

tho i fell the 'must login in' pain
iv hit many links like this to github - issues tracker its annoying as `cuss`
lend me your arms, fast as thunderbolts, for a pillow on my journey.
If the environment was a bank, would it be too big to fail
so long; and thanks for all the pi

pjc123

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:14 pm

You are not alone. I have joined a ton of forums over the years, and I have only come across this one and one other one in all that time that has this ridiculous policy. It is bad enough having to enter the password when on the desktop, but on the smartphone it is brutal. However I must say that it does go well with the useless search box that I have to bypass by using Google.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Technically, its not a policy. More of a 'didn't know it did that until you mentioned it, now we will have to find out why and fix it. And there isn't a lot of time spare' type of thing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DetlevSchm

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:50 am

... didn't know it did that until you mentioned it ...
I did not have expected, that this was intention :-).

This is for a starter:

The three links are

Code: Select all

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=58357&p=438743&e=438743
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=58357
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=63
with the first one the culprit.

If you just drop the e parameter, then you do not have to login, but you are on the top of the topic, rather than the specified (first unread) post.

Of course, it has low priority, but if it is now on the list, that is a good thing :-).

simonmcc

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 am

jamesh wrote:Technically, its not a policy. More of a 'didn't know it did that until you mentioned it, now we will have to find out why and fix it. And there isn't a lot of time spare' type of thing.
If you are going to fix it, it would be great to configure the email notifications to have the body of the posted message too, that would be really useful! Thanks for all your good work!
simonmcc.blogspot.com/search/label/pi

pjc123

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 am

jamesh wrote:Technically, its not a policy. More of a 'didn't know it did that until you mentioned it, now we will have to find out why and fix it. And there isn't a lot of time spare' type of thing.
I guess my post sounded a bit harsh. Because this has been going on so long and because no one said anything before, I just assumed (bad thing) that there was some technical reason why this was being done. I never said anything because I didn't want to sound like I was nit-picking and just lived with it. I do appreciate the work that was and is done to keep this forum alive. I also do not believe the raspberry pi would have ever have reached the level of success it has without this forum and the many people offering technical help on their own time.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 am

I've seen it on at least one other forum, i've always assumed it was related to recording when the user returned and hence unblocking further notices (IIRC once you've had a notice you don't get another one until you revisit the topic).

Havinit

Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:41 am

Hi everyone, sorry I never replied to this after starting it - another way in which this phpBB setup differs from others I've known is that auto-subscribing to your own threads is disabled by default (you can add that to my gripe list, but it's a minor one now that I've found out and changed my profile defaults).

@duberry, I guess you're right that I should have posted an example link for completeness, but as we're all capable of subscribing to threads (and I suspect most do) it seemed unnecessary. And yes it would have been possible, and probably better etiquette, for me to have done some analysis myself (such as DetlevSchm has provided in his post). Yes, I could then interpret for myself a URL that didn't prompt for login -- however, having to do that for every notification email would be extremely tedious, especially on a phone, so the real thrust of my comment was "Why does it do this / is it intended / if not can it be fixed?". Hope that clarifies.

@jamesh thanks for the pleasingly candid response ;) I hope it bubbles up to the top of the list one day, but I appreciate it must be a big list (and probably growing)!

Return to “General discussion”