j-j

HDMI cable difference

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:09 pm

hi all there,
This is probably a to nooby question to ask in the general discussion panel.
But as i didnt find anything relating to the subject i give it a shot.

My setup:
A model B rasppi with raspBMC

Now the problem is that i cant get it working completely
i set all the default settings in the config file like the hdmi boost and edid force.

With one HDMI cable I only get a weak video signal my tv (samsung plasma) even keeps the notice blocks in the screen with no or weak signal on it. but the CEC functions are working.

Now with another cable i have perfect audio and video but no CEC functions.

I have tried 7 different cables wich all work with my BDplayer, HD player and satreceiver.
But they all have one or the other not working.

So does anyone have any idea where it goes wrong in the pi my tv or even in my amplifier.
My amp is btw connected via toslink out of my tv.

thanks in advance JJ

j-j

Re: HDMI cable difference

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:39 am

Is there nobody who experiences the same problem?

I searched a lot for specs about the output of the pi.
And the only thing i found about it was (quote)''the hdmi output of the pi has an relatively weak HDMI output current''

I used all 1.4 HDMI cables from a 1 buck cable to one of 40 Euro's and still it is the one or the other problem.

Does anyone have any idea of what i should do whit this?
Is it fixable by just buying a shorter cable (50cm) or do i need to buy a superduper goldplated turbo cable?
Or is it maybe just an setting in my config file?

I'm a little lost right now, especially because i already sold my old hd-player.

Hoping anyone could help or just shares their idea's with this.

thanks JJ

RaTTuS

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:44 am

what are the contents of your /boot/config.txt file?

how long are the cables ?

have you tried
config_hdmi_boost=7
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

hal8000

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Just one suggestion, I don't know how many HDMI inputs your TV has, but have you tried a cable from the
RPi direct to your TV with all other HDMI cables disconnected?
This may not make any difference, but you can also try using different HDMI inputs.
One last point, some HDMI leads have short barrels, one of my leads had to be pushed
all the way in before any video would appear.

There should be no difference in picture quality between a cheap lead and an expensive lead,
this has been tested before on shows like Channel 5's Gadget show. I just bought this cable at £1.30

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired-up-Plated ... les+amazon

and there is absolutely no difference in quality between this lead an a more expensive £10 lead.

j-j

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Hey thanks for your replys

Well I think that I already putted everything in the config file i could.
And about the inputs swapping i tried that as well (of course:)_).

This is my complete config file.:

arm_freq=800
force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=128disable_overscan=1
start_file=start_x.elf
fixup_file=fixup_x.dat
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
config_hdmi_boost=7
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
hdmi_drive=2

maybe some extra things to put in the config?

Forrrge

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:10 am

Don't know if this is the same for everyone else, but before I get a display to appear on my TV's screen I have to ensure the TV is on and displaying the correct HDMI input "before" I power up the RPi. If the RPi is already running before I move my TV to the correct input I don't get a picture.

Versatile

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Forrrge wrote:Don't know if this is the same for everyone else, but before I get a display to appear on my TV's screen I have to ensure the TV is on and displaying the correct HDMI input "before" I power up the RPi. If the RPi is already running before I move my TV to the correct input I don't get a picture.
I can confirm this, my TV is the same way too.

j-j

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Forrrge wrote:Don't know if this is the same for everyone else, but before I get a display to appear on my TV's screen I have to ensure the TV is on and displaying the correct HDMI input "before" I power up the RPi. If the RPi is already running before I move my TV to the correct input I don't get a picture.

This is why the hotplug line is in there.
Because that ensures that the pi forces an HDMI signal instead of switching over to composite.
Maybe you can copy that line in your config file so you can also startup the pi later then your tv.

problem is I still have the same problem.
And i really cant find an solution out on the web.
I tried all different cables on different inputs with or without an AV receiver between it and it stil gives the same problem the one or the other.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Your monitor could have a completely fubar EDID that causes the firmware's parser to fail or give nonsense video modes somehow.

Can you add hdmi_safe=1 to /boot/config.txt?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

j-j

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 pm

I did,

But as the hdmi_safe=1 line should do, it just overrides all the other edid settings.
so it stays the same.

But which difference is there between hdmi cables?
the problem should be in there somehow, how could i otherwise have 2 different kind of problems with the same settings the same physical Pi and the same input on my tv.
How is it possible that I have 7 cables wich all work perfectly on all my other devices (also whit CEC/anynet) but on the pi they have or video with blocks in the screen CEC control and no audio or video without blocks with audio but without CEC control

I'am really quite lost right now.

j-j

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I tried to measure the pins the HDMI plug has, but my simple ac/dc meter doesnt have such smal contact pins.
So I couldnt find out what the difference is between the cables.
Searched a lot on the web as well, but cables should be the same no difference.

So why can it be that one cable gives one error and another cable gives a different error.
And the same error with the same cable over and over again.

and as my last post im still lost,

at this point Im even scared to admit that iam an video technician for my profession.

DavidS

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 pm

It sounds as if the cable that gives the weaker signal has a higher impedence than the others. I have ran acrossed that issue, though with most devices you would never notice a difference and such cables do not meet the spec.

As to the issue of CEC, is this realy important to have from the RPi? If you get a good picture with cables that mess up with CEC on your TV why worry about CEC?

I think that the reason you did not get a reply for a little while is likely that most do not use CEC functions with there RPi. I would guess that there are many using a DVI monitor (like myself) with a passive HDMI to DVI cable.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

j-j

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:32 pm

DavidS wrote:It sounds as if the cable that gives the weaker signal has a higher impedence than the others. I have ran acrossed that issue, though with most devices you would never notice a difference and such cables do not meet the spec.

As to the issue of CEC, is this realy important to have from the RPi? If you get a good picture with cables that mess up with CEC on your TV why worry about CEC?

I think that the reason you did not get a reply for a little while is likely that most do not use CEC functions with there RPi. I would guess that there are many using a DVI monitor (like myself) with a passive HDMI to DVI cable.

hi david, thanks for your reply.
the reason that i need CEC controls is that i paste the pi behind my 60 inch plasma.
And my all-in-one remote programming goes way more easyer with controlling via my tv instead of getting an infrared eye and teach the remote al kinds of new commands.
As well that i have to hide/disguise another ir eye somerwhere.
And I just got rid of my old playonhd because of the space it takes in my living room. (and of course it outdated :lol: )

I now ordered the shortest cable i could find so i hope this does the trick. should have it tomorrow.
if that doesnt work i buy an apple tv so it does the same but with al the capabilities. and use my pi for something else (or maybe even sell it).

thanks for all your help till this far.

jj

j-j

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh!!!!!!

I fixed it.
point is I barely dare to tell what the problem was.

Because of the pi was delivered in its shiny cristal clear case I never bothered to remove the case, because it worked nicely.
Now the thing is that my case prevents the HDMI plug to complete reaching the other end of the hdmi socket on the pi.

This was a really stupid fault i made, now all my cables are working right and with all the features throughout etc.

I'm thanking you all with a lot of shame over me for all the help you guys gave me.

next pi project is to make an cctv system that records 4 cams constantly and overwrites the oldest files so it can record infinnetly.
other project is a motorised wall mount for the same tv that comes of the wall for 1.5 metres.
Im probably gonna control this by an arduino

again thanks for the help

Return to “General discussion”