scep

Static FAQ?

Sat May 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Please can we have a static FAQ page please? The commented one kills Firefox dead and isn't good on Chrome and IE either. There was a static page here at one time during the testing and it made me very happy :) Now I am sad :(

I just don't get the purpose of the the Word Press-esque one once athe FAQ had been established - it's too clunky to be of much use and questions would be answered much quicker in the forum (and could be added to the FAQ if it's novel and useful).

ta!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Static FAQ?

Sat May 12, 2012 8:18 pm

I like this idea too; Eben doesn't. I will fight him about it tonight and see where that gets us. Rar.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

scep

Sat May 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Oh no! I've caused a domestic! :?

liz

Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 pm

I bared my teeth. He's agreed to it (FINALLY). I shall go and excise the comments - I'll move them to a page somewhere else without links, but I will make sure that we still have them available as an archive.

MarshallBanana

Sun May 13, 2012 12:12 am

wow, fast faq ist fast :-)
/me likes

jbeale

Sun May 13, 2012 2:17 am

Absolutely the right choice IMO to have a static un-commented FAQ page. Looks good but can I make a suggestion along the lines of:

Q: I still have more questions
A: Check the wiki pages at http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard for more information, or ask in the Ras-Pi forum http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

liz

Sun May 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Noted!

Phil Spiegel

Sun May 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Now that its readily readable; can it be updated to reflect the current situation?.....

How many can I buy in one go?

...... This should prevent eBay scalping (to some extent – we will also be auctioning some boards ourselves to try to make sure there’s no market for scalpers), and ensure that as many different individuals as possible get their Raspberry Pi!
Phil: Now Outdated/irrelevant?

Will the device be available internationally?
We intend to ship worldwide from launch. We may establish a distribution network in due course.
Phil: Match this answer to the earlier answer saying that RS + Element14 are joint and sole distributors worldwide. Otherwise the implication / inference is that another distributor might be set up......

What hardware documentation will be available? ( and subsequent documentation items to match)

Broadcom don’t release a full datasheet for the BCM2835, which is the chip at the heart of the Raspberry Pi. We will release a datasheet for the SoC which will cover the hardware exposed on the Raspi board e.g. the GPIOs. We will also release a board schematic later on.
You have already released a summary datasheet for the GPU (give current link) AND already relased the schematics (give link) etc

Why is there no VGA support?
The chip specifically supports HDMI. VGA is considered to be an end-of-life technology, so supporting it doesn’t fit with our plans at the moment.
Phil: UPDATE to mention that individuals may buy ready-made HDMI-to-VGA ADAPTERS for less than a Raspberry Pi - but beware not to buy cables which simply have HDMI and VGA plugs on them! - so that older monitors may still be used (silently)

What are the power requirements?
The device is powered by 5v micro USB. You can read more about it here. Power supplies will be available at launch.
Phil: UPDATE to specify WHICH launch ??? or delete if no longer true .(or refer to RS/E14 order pages).
Also is it not a good idea simply to mention the mininum spec here - its supposed to the the place with answers to FAQs

and finally, but out of chronological order.....
Pedantic Point: :( Can I buy shares in the Raspberry Pi Foundation?
We’re a charity, so you can’t buy shares in the company. If you want to support us, we’d love you to buy one.
Phil: Subject of sentence/paragraph is/was buying shares - not Raspberry Pi Computer .... you just said you can't buy shares, so not much point in loving people to buy one.

Return to “General discussion”