domesday

Re: The new forums are here!

Sat May 12, 2012 8:58 pm

hexelpdkk wrote:Also, where did my private messages go?
Private messages were not imported.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat May 12, 2012 9:02 pm

We did post several warnings, both in the forums and on the front page and on Twitter, saying you needed to back up your PMs, starting a few weeks ago.

In other news, avatars are now enabled.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ScoobyDoo

Sat May 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Viewing on a iPhone is still horrible, sizing is too large, switching to landscape mode makes it huge and unusable.
In portrait mode you can't resize and it's still too big, takes ages to scroll through a post.

Wordpress forums were fine on iPhone and iPad , some optimising needs doing

hexelpdkk

Sat May 12, 2012 9:04 pm

domesday wrote:Yes 'Mark topics read'
How did I miss that button in BOTH skins :(

jbeale

Sat May 12, 2012 9:08 pm

finally found it in "board preferences" Prosilver. Much better now, whew!

TheCrazyInventor

Sat May 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Ah, finally some decent forum software. Thank you. :)
My only problem with the custom Pi theme is the fixed-width. Why is that? Just let the post body be as wide as possible. Other than that, this is perfectly fine!

Edit:
BTW guys. Avatars are enabled now, apparently, so go get some! It's hard to recognize you guys.
Last edited by TheCrazyInventor on Sat May 12, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything that can possibly go wrong, does" -M

SN

Sat May 12, 2012 9:11 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Viewing on a iPhone is still horrible, sizing is too large, switching to landscape mode makes it huge and unusable.
In portrait mode you can't resize and it's still too big, takes ages to scroll through a post.

Wordpress forums were fine on iPhone and iPad , some optimising needs doing
Just for the record the new forums work BEAUTIFULLY on Android with both skins - and I believe you can use Tapatalk too if you wish 8-)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

jamieoliver22

Sat May 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Looking good!

Is there an option to have the avatars on the left hand side however? I find it much easier to read with it the other way around. Can't find a user option in the control panel for it.

And also can we get breadcrumb navigation in the top to easily get back to previous pages? Thanks!

Also, can the 'Submit' button be swapped around on the Control Panel? It should really be on the right hand side.

Good work!

domesday

Sat May 12, 2012 9:35 pm

jamieoliver22 wrote:Looking good!

And also can we get breadcrumb navigation in the top to easily get back to previous pages? Thanks!

Good work!
Just switch the theme to ProSilver in the board settings to get a more usable layout.

JonB

Sat May 12, 2012 9:40 pm

ProSilver rocks.

ScoobyDoo

Sat May 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Switched to prosilver layout and now the forums display perfectly on the iPhone and ipad

Montala

Sat May 12, 2012 9:51 pm

The posts in the new forum don't seem to be numbered like they used to be.
Is there any chance that this feature could be included please, as it was very useful to be able to refer back to a specific earlier post?
Thanks! :)

pythagoras

Sat May 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Much prefer prosilver. Can we have a user option to switch the poster info panel to the left?

Regards

John

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat May 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Just tried the forum on an Android tablet (8" screen, ICS). Looks good in the default skin and is fine in Landscape. Tilt the tablet to Portrait and the top menu bar occupies about a third of the screen, with the logo crammed hard TLC and the options ranged down the RHS, which isn't pretty.

Other than that, it seems fine!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

SN

Sat May 12, 2012 10:01 pm

switch to prosilver to get rid of that android portrait 'issue'
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

jojopi

Sat May 12, 2012 10:02 pm

I recognise that I am irrationally averse to change, so I will make an effort to stick with the "raspite" theme for at least a week before complaining that it is too bright and sparse and uniform.
Obviously the new forum engine is a big improvement!

Montala

Sat May 12, 2012 10:04 pm

pythagoras wrote:Much prefer prosilver. Can we have a user option to switch the poster info panel to the left?

Regards

John
Personally I am happy with the default colour scheme, but at least we do have the option now of choosing the one we prefer.
On looking at the poster info panel, I think it is more 'traditional' to have it on the left, and that is where I would also prefer to see it.
It also 'balances' the page a bit more, I think.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat May 12, 2012 10:09 pm

SN wrote:switch to prosilver to get rid of that android portrait 'issue'
Ugh.

I don't mind the new default theme; prosilver is retrogressive, untidy and unpleasant to look at. Also, if I'm using the tablet and I've not logged in, I'll get the portrait problem anyway. :)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

colin B

Sat May 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Others have probably noticed it, forum posting notifications sent via e-mail (presumably by the old forum) have incorrectly indexed links to the new one, they either go to the wrong topic or get the 'whoops' page.
On a clear disk one can seek forever

SN

Sat May 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Jongoleur wrote:
SN wrote:switch to prosilver to get rid of that android portrait 'issue'
Ugh.

I don't mind the new default theme; prosilver is retrogressive, untidy and unpleasant to look at. Also, if I'm using the tablet and I've not logged in, I'll get the portrait problem anyway. :)
I shall ignore your comments about prosilver - which are bizarre - to suggest some advice, login to the forum and check the 'Keep Me Logged In' box and then you won't have that portrait problem any more....

atcapollo

Sat May 12, 2012 10:29 pm

:roll:
>>>>>>>>
should be
<<<<<<<<
Please

ProSilver

zebo-the-fat

Sat May 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Not perfect... but a big improvement!! :)
Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

guru
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 12, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm glad prosilver has been kept around. It's a semantically-improved version of subsilver, which has been around for years and is the bedrock of pretty much every phpBB theme, which mostly vary the colours and a couple of other bells and whistles, but not the basic layout.

Prosilver, like metal-music, will never leave you behind. If you're used to it, everything is familiar. This is good.

The problem is that it's a very dated and awkward layout, and web design hasn't stood still for the last 10 years. It's unclear and it can be hard to find functions. This is bad.

This is why the Raspberry Pi Foundation is working to improve computing education, and make it easier for kids (and adults) to get into programming and become familiar and comfortable with computers.

Doing something different to make the forums simpler, clearer and less noisy is part of this. While it won't be everyone's cup of tea, it will be better for a large number of visitors. It's meant to be encouraging and inclusive. Part of that is simplifying, clarifying and making common tasks easier.

If you like the old ways and are a 1337 n1nj4, there's prosilver. For the future, and improving the web, there's now raspite as well, and it's going to keep getting better.

GrahamC

Sat May 12, 2012 10:42 pm

I notice some embedded graphics images in some threads display poorly (stretched horizontally).
For example those in the threads 'Status of SD card compatibility - What should I buy?' and 'SD Card Benchmarks'.

Switching to prosilver theme also makes those images very large.

milhouse

Sat May 12, 2012 10:46 pm

guru wrote: The problem is that it's a very dated and awkward layout, and web design hasn't stood still for the last 10 years. It's unclear and it can be hard to find functions. This is bad.

This is why the Raspberry Pi Foundation is working to improve computing education, and make it easier for kids (and adults) to get into programming and become familiar and comfortable with computers.

Doing something different to make the forums simpler, clearer and less noisy is part of this. While it won't be everyone's cup of tea, it will be better for a large number of visitors. It's meant to be encouraging and inclusive. Part of that is simplifying, clarifying and making common tasks easier.
I don't think people object to the default theme due to the layout, it's mainly about the bright and garish colours which make it harder to use. Toning down the stark colours and improving contrast would be a wise move. Until then, I'll stick with prosilver - the layout may not be great but the colour scheme doesn't make my head hurt.

Hopefully you can find some way to compromise on the colours and tone them down, as clearly they polarise opinion which really isn't something the Foundation forum needs. Again, it's not the layout that is the problem - it's the colour scheme which needs to be made easier on the eye.

Return to “General discussion”