cazantyl

Minimizing The Pi

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:37 pm

Hello folks! Cheers, welcome, all that jazz.

I'm a software developer and I love my pi's. I bought two from the first batch and have used them for all sorts of glorious projects.

Lately I've been thinking that the pi has a lot of fluff and kerfuffel on it that honestly I don't need nor want for a lot of my projects. I was thinking, "Hey, it'd be kind of neat if I could hack off a lot of the stuff that's not really needed and make an even tinier and possibly cheaper pi."

So technically, I suppose it would be possible to remove:
  • RCA Video Out
    Audio Out
    USB
    LAN
    GPIO pins
    HDMI out
    Display DSI
    Camera DSI
swap the SD card reader out for a micro sd reader and add a wifi chip, then cut a release of Linux that was wifi aware and broadcasting so that new users could connect to it and proxy in via ssh.

With wifi chips dropping quickly in price perhaps the trade off in parts would even out the costs or even reduce the price entirely? I could also realistically see leaving a single usb in for those that want to branch out in some ways.

Project wise, not quite sure what all it would be used for other than extremely lightweight (literally) web and other servers, but regardless, I'm sure there are a ton of possibilities.

I guess technically at that point they'd really just be slightly more powerful wifi-enabled SD cards that ...don't fit in an SD slot...
But still...it'd be a pi darn it ;)

Broadcasting this from pi dream land as I doubt it would ever see the light of day, but if you could mod the pi's basic form (add to or remove from) what would you do to it?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Minimizing The Pi

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 pm

You should probably start with a Model A where much is already removed for you (well, not put on in the first place).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

cazantyl

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:10 pm

@jamesh

Agreed, starting with the model A would be easier, but ideally you'd still want the 512 of ram offered by the B

Oakham

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:28 pm

I can not believe that once a Pi in the Sky thread is locked another pops up!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=57477

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=56598

Surely this a candidatefor the Off-Topic Forum ?
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

cazantyl

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:35 pm

@Oakham

My apologizes. My search terms on the forum all came back as being "Too small" or "Too common" so I apparently glossed over them. If this should be closed or moved, I have no problem there. Didn't mean to cause any tension.

Edit: And looking at the other two posts that you mentioned, neither of them had anything to do with my original. I wasn't asking "When's a new pi coming out" nor saying "I'm going to remake the pi and resell it" I was simply throwing an idea out there. Unfortunate that I kind of feel unwelcomed here already...
Last edited by cazantyl on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OtherCrashOverride

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 pm

All connectors on one side
WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 built-in
armv7 (single, dual, quad) @ 1Ghz or better
2GB RAM
metal SD card slot
1GB Ethernet
SATA
4GB/8GB on-board flash
USB 3.0

Oakham wrote:I can not believe that once a Pi in the Sky thread is locked another pops up!
The good news is you only have to tolerate it for 2 or 3 more years!
:lol:

Oakham

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 pm

cazantyl wrote:@Oakham

My apologizes. My search terms on the forum all came back as being "Too small" or "Too common" so I apparently glossed over them. If this should be closed or moved, I have no problem there. Didn't mean to cause any tension.

Edit: And looking at the other two posts that you mentioned, neither of them had anything to do with my original. I wasn't asking "When's a new pi coming out" nor saying "I'm going to remake the pi and resell it" I was simply throwing an idea out there. Unfortunate that I kind of feel unwelcomed here already...
Well this what you wrote. "Lately I've been thinking that the pi has a lot of fluff and kerfuffel on it that honestly I don't need nor want for a lot of my projects. I was thinking, "Hey, it'd be kind of neat if I could hack off a lot of the stuff that's not really needed and make an even tinier and possibly cheaper pi."

cheaper pi well that I took as read you wanted a product, if you did not want a product why mention pricing ?

cazantyl

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:24 pm

My post was mostly about the minimization of the pi. Yes, ideally a product could be made from said idea, but it was mostly about reducing size and costs from a purely academic mindset. I apologize that the way I worded it riled you up so much that you felt you needed to respond in the way you did.

If these types of posts bother you, perhaps you could ignore them instead of coming across as quite so aggressive, especially to a enthusiastic new community member?

Oakham

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:30 pm

I made a personal observation " can not believe that once a Pi in the Sky thread is locked another pops up! "

I did not escalate the heat......

OtherCrashOverride

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:15 pm

Rounded corners on the PCB so it fits into an Altoids(tm) tin.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:21 pm

I assume the phrase "and possibly cheaper pi." triggered user oakham's response, at least it did it for me.... What you wrote read fine for me too, up until reading that part, where I had to make a mental guffaw.
Cheaper? How!
You have to strip your PI yourself, as a pre-stripped PI is certainly not to be expected, and how can the PI become "cheaper" in such a case? are you going to try to sell of the damaged parts you ripped off to recover costs?

So IMHO Oakham is indeed right in that, as written, this again reads like a disguised "I want a model xyz" thread.
No need for moderator action though, except for this comment, but its just my private thought.....

as for the Altoids comment, as the PI has connectors on at least three of the four edges that potentially could be rounded, and they are connectors that cannot really be moved, I don't think it would have made much sense to round the single remaining edge. But this is a dead horse, right OtherCrashOverride.....?

cazantyl

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Honestly, you can just delete the post. It's already been derailed before it could take off and my enthusiasm for having the discussion or participating in this community is shot anyways. If you as an admin think that his reaction was appropriate, especially when it was addressed at a new community member, that's just indicative to me that this community is unfortunately like most others on the internet where people who have nothing to add to a conversation can butt in and complain with no real reason at all.

I thought this was a community that was supposed to encourage creativity and enthusiasm for those new to the field, not nitpick and complain about newcomers.

Like I said, delete the topic, and go ahead and delete my account while you're at it.

OtherCrashOverride

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm

mahjongg wrote:But this is a dead horse, right OtherCrashOverride.....?
Dead horses were made for flogging!

I intend to win this thread before it gets locked!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:05 am

cazantyl wrote:Honestly, you can just delete the post. It's already been derailed before it could take off and my enthusiasm for having the discussion or participating in this community is shot anyways. If you as an admin think that his reaction was appropriate, especially when it was addressed at a new community member, that's just indicative to me that this community is unfortunately like most others on the internet where people who have nothing to add to a conversation can butt in and complain with no real reason at all.

I thought this was a community that was supposed to encourage creativity and enthusiasm for those new to the field, not nitpick and complain about newcomers.

Like I said, delete the topic, and go ahead and delete my account while you're at it.
none of that is necessary, my comment wasn't to scorn you, just to explain why one poster that became fed up with a recent groundswell of "I want a model C" posts reacted so allergic to your post. And its not derailed at all, in fact there are many more posts discussing stripping the PI to reduce weight, power consumption or reduce its dimensions so it fits in something small, as you can see from the first reaction, which was quite factual. in fact i will be happy to give you some tips/pointers on how to remove some of the more troublesome parts.

in the mean time here are a few pointers to similar threads:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 29&t=21119
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 40&t=32318
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 62&t=10514

Oakham

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:27 am

cazantyl wrote:Honestly, you can just delete the post. It's already been derailed before it could take off and my enthusiasm for having the discussion or participating in this community is shot anyways. If you as an admin think that his reaction was appropriate, especially when it was addressed at a new community member, that's just indicative to me that this community is unfortunately like most others on the internet where people who have nothing to add to a conversation can butt in and complain with no real reason at all.

I will state again that it was a persoanal observation on the pricing and Maj did not side with me, he just explained why it appeared to be another thinly disguised Rasp C thread. It is you who is over reacting and let's faceit as pointed out it is actally a regurgitation of similar postings !

Oakham

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:30 am

ednl wrote:
cazantyl wrote:If these types of posts bother you, perhaps you could ignore them instead of coming across as quite so aggressive, especially to a enthusiastic new community member?
Hear, hear.
Learn to read what I wrote, not what you thought I write !

gritz

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:09 am

ednl wrote:
Oakham wrote:Learn to read what I wrote, not what you thought I write !
Pfft. Everything you wrote, and write, seemed thoroughly unpleasant to me, so I wholeheartedly agreed with OP. Your posts are definitely a reason for me, and others apparently, to spend less time here.
+1. Overly zealous fanboys are the worst kind of trolls.

recantha2

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:22 am

Can we all just calm down?

It seems to me like someone just thought they had a good idea about a stripped-down Pi. Whether you like the idea or not, there's no need to jump all over someone just for having an idea, especially when they're a new member of the community. Yes, the Model C has been discussed at length, but one would hope that having ideas or opinions about such a board would attract less vitriol and more polite responses.

I suggest that this thread is removed and that a mod sees if there's any way to persuade the original poster not to give up on the community which is, on the whole, full of people who would rather help than tread down.
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

jamesh

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

I'm locking this.

The OP said nothing to deserve the comments here.

Oakham - give it a rest. PM to follow.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:54 am

jamesh wrote:I'm locking this.

The OP said nothing to deserve the comments here.

Oakham - give it a rest. PM to follow.
Actually, given this persons previous form, I am forced to remove him from the community. To the OP, apologies for the actions of a few people who seem to think it's their right to be obnoxious and rude. If you wish, please start another thread (but also checkout the threads linked here).

James

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 am

Hi cazantyl,

I'm sorry that this was your first experience of the Raspberry Pi forums -- it's certainly not representative of the friendly, helpful and knowledgeable community that we have here.

We do take our moderation here seriously and we won't tolerate anyone who makes other members uncomfortable or unwelcome. Please do make use of the "report" button if you see dodgy posts in future (and this goes for everyone -- we do read and act on reports).

Anyway -- apologies and we hope that you stick around :)

Cheers,
Clive

Return to “General discussion”