OtherCrashOverride

Re: Can i release a modified version of raspberry pi

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:19 am

DavidS wrote:And this makes the Cubieboard completely incompatable with the RPi.
Gosh, I hope not. It has armv7 which is backwards compatible with the armv6 in Raspberry Pi (obviously if its running Raspian). Linux is still Linux on it. C is still C. OpenGL ES 2 is still OpenGL ES 2. OpenVG is still OpenVG. OpenMax is still OpenMax.

DavidS

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 am

OtherCrashOverride wrote:
DavidS wrote:And this makes the Cubieboard completely incompatable with the RPi.
Gosh, I hope not. It has armv7 which is backwards compatible with the armv6 in Raspberry Pi (obviously if its running Raspian). Linux is still Linux on it. C is still C. OpenGL ES 2 is still OpenGL ES 2. OpenVG is still OpenVG. OpenMax is still OpenMax.
OpenVG is software interface.
OpenGL ES is a software interface.
OpenMax is a software interface.

So you have said that ARM Linux is compatable with ARM Linux. Wow what a shocker.

Yes the CPUs are compatible that does not make the SoC compatable.

If you are runing the same OS most applications will run on both in there binary form. This is because the program calls the OS, not the Hardware, and the CPUs are compatable.

In order for them to be truely compatible they would have to be able to run the same OS that only knows how to talk to the Hardware of one of them.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

OtherCrashOverride

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:40 am

DavidS wrote:So you have said that ARM Linux is compatable with ARM Linux. Wow what a shocker.
And that is all anyone cares about.

DavidS

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:55 am

DavidS wrote:So you have said that ARM Linux is compatable with ARM Linux. Wow what a shocker.
And that is all anyone cares about.
Ok I will have to remember that any time that anyone wants to update there firmware, do bare metel development, run Raspberry Pi BASIC (an Operating system), Run the RPi version of DexOS, etc, etc.

I can just tell them it does not matter because it is not Linux.

Did I get the just of what you said?

Or since ARM, maybe I should just tell them that it does not matter because it is not Arthur OS :) .

Let us get real here. While a great number of people will just run Linux, there will always be those that do more. And for those that just run Linux most of them will care about firmware updates, and you can not use RPi firmware on a CubieBoard, or BB, BBxM, BBB, etc.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

OtherCrashOverride

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 am

DavidS wrote:Did I get the just of what you said?
Probably not.

Nobody buys a cubieboard to run anything but Linux. They offer Android (linux) and Ubuntu (linux). Hence ...
OtherCrashOverride wrote:And that is all anyone cares about.

DavidS

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:11 am

DavidS wrote:Did I get the just of what you said?
Probably not.

Nobody buys a cubieboard to run anything but Linux. They offer Android (linux) and Ubuntu (linux). Hence ...
OtherCrashOverride wrote:And that is all anyone cares about.
Ok that is likely true as it uses the AllWinner A10 SoC. No one can find good datasheets on that SoC (hence no RISC OS yet).

Though it is not true for the RPi, and we were discussing compatibility with the RPi.

OtherCrashOverride

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:13 am

DavidS wrote:And for those that just run Linux most of them will care about firmware updates, and you can not use RPi firmware on a CubieBoard, or BB, BBxM, BBB, etc.
None of those others care about firmware updates because they do not have firmware. Raspberry Pi is the odd duck because the GPU boots the CPU, everyone else boots a CPU and GPU 'firmware' is part of the GPU driver set which does indeed receive updates particularly the Beagle Board line since it uses the PowerVR SGX which is also used in iOS devices.

DavidS

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:20 am

DavidS wrote:And for those that just run Linux most of them will care about firmware updates, and you can not use RPi firmware on a CubieBoard, or BB, BBxM, BBB, etc.
None of those others care about firmware updates because they do not have firmware. Raspberry Pi is the odd duck because the GPU boots the CPU, everyone else boots a CPU and GPU 'firmware' is part of the GPU driver set which does indeed receive updates particularly the Beagle Board line since it uses the PowerVR SGX which is also used in iOS devices.
True. And also on the BB, BBxM, BBB there are many bare metel programmers, as well as RISC OS users. And I think that bare metel programmers kind of care about the way that there SoC works.

Thus I reitterate. Especially as we have many bare metel programmers on the RPi.

OtherCrashOverride

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:30 am

DavidS wrote:And I think that bare metel programmers kind of care about the way that there SoC works.
Well, now I really have no idea what this thread is about.

DavidS

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:32 am

DavidS wrote:And I think that bare metel programmers kind of care about the way that there SoC works.
Well, now I really have no idea what this thread is about.
It was about a RPi compatible board, that could be said to be truely RPi compatible.

OtherCrashOverride

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:38 am

Well that explains how we got here:
If you are using linux, it doesn't matter. I thought vendor lock-in went out the door with Wintel. All though Apple is doing a pretty good job taking its place.

DavidS

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:45 am

OtherCrashOverride wrote:Well that explains how we got here:
If you are using linux, it doesn't matter. I thought vendor lock-in went out the door with Wintel. All though Apple is doing a pretty good job taking its place.
:lol:

Yea unfortunately there is no real standard ARM platform (unless you count the Archimedes and RiscPC, though those are outdated). Though more and more OSes are running on more ARM SoC's.

I am currently taking the challenge of writing a simple ARM Operating system in Assembly that has the WH specific code isolated and simple enough to make porting to other ARM SoC's a simple task (so long as the needed documentation for the target SoC is available). And this is quite a chalenge.

Oakham

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:55 am

This has now gone completely off-topic, the OP wanted to create a RasPi C, not feasible or possible, why keep argueing ?

Please can this thread be locked as already stated that IMO this is just another "I want" thread. Pi in the Sky!
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

Return to “General discussion”