KILL

Raspberry pi with CRT TV

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi.

My family has a Sony Trinitron flat screen CRT TV. I guess it's about 10 years old. They got it for free, replacing an even older and smaller CRT TV.

The thing is behemoth, (I had to move it) but the picture quality is pretty good.

They don't have money for a new flat screen smart TV so I was thinking of breathing some fresh air into this CRT if I can.

The goal would be to stream 1080p rips over wifi from a computer downstairs.

How would the quality be using component? They have some like HD receiver which has HDMI but I don't know if that would work?

I have read many topics that the raspberry pi can play 1080p rips but not true 1080p like Blu-ray. How about true 720p?

Thank you

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry pi with CRT TV

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 pm

The PI will simply downscale whatever HDMI resolution it uses to composite. As the PI can playback 1080p30 it simply downscales it to fit the composites resolution (either PAL or NTSC). The quality is what you would expect from a composite video signal, with PAL having a slightly better resolution than NTSC.

Burngate

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:00 am

KILL wrote:...How would the quality be using component? They have some like HD receiver which has HDMI but I don't know if that would work? ... How about true 720p?
Do I understand correctly, they have a receiver with an HDMI input, connected to the TV via component (not composite, and not RF)?
If so, then it's probably do-able, and may be worthwhile.

The Pi can output either HDMI 1080p / 720p / lots-of-other-resolutions or composite NTSC / PAL.
Up until the end of the last century, at least on this side of the pond, composite PAL (625/50) was thought of as high definition (it was better than 405) and the bees' knees.
Now, watching material made in PAL is a lesson in how far we've come.

So if the television only has composite in, then you can connect the Pi to it, and watch the picture.
If it has component in, the picture should be better, but only if it has never been made composite - that mixes the colour with the luminance information in a way that makes it impossible to separate properly.
That means taking the HDMI output of the Pi and converting it to analogue component. Can their receiver do that?

redhawk

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:18 am

The composite output of the Pi should be more than sufficient to stream videos it's really only static images like the Raspbian desktop that would benefit from using a HDMI to Component / S-video / RGB Scart converter box for better colour rendering (but not line resolution).
If you intend to use the Pi as a media player box then XBMC would come highly recommended i.e. OpenELEC, Xbian or Raspbmc.

Richard S.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:18 pm

I think everyone is assuming that this TV can only do composite. I know some Sony FD Trinitron CRTs could do 1080i and came with one HDMI port. Example here.
If this is the case with your TV set, KILL, then yeah you'll be good! The Pi can be connected directly to that port on the TV without needing a HD receiver or anything.

You might have to fiddle with config.txt on the Pi to get the HDMI refresh rate right though.
Perhaps this for 1080i at 50Hz

Code: Select all

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=20
I would also suggest to use an XBMC SD card image like OpenELEC for what you want to do.
You'll also need a USB wifi adapter for the Pi like this one.

KILL

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Hello all. Thank you for the responses.

I got some photos of the TV and receiver. Maybe that will help you help me.

The TV itself does not have HDMI, but the receiver does.

pluggy

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:50 am

I can't see many CRT tellies having HDMI, HDMI came along in 2002, by which time the writing was on the wall for CRT. It would have needed internal DAC to make it work with analog CRT. I have a LCD telly I bought in early 2005 which doesn't have HDMI.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

RaTTuS

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:56 am

it will work though the RCA - quality will be meh...
audio will have to come via the headphone jack will will me poor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-To-RGB-C ... 3376e54ec1 may help
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

KILL

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Do I need that little converter box thing?

I can't just get a yellow composite cable and a 35mm cable and set it up?

So there is no way I can connect the PI to the receiver's HDMI and get picture?

I found a couple videos of a Raspberry pi with a CRT TV and it didn't look too bad.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:23 pm

From the photo it's difficult to tell if the HDMI port on the receiver box is an input or output.
However you could connect the Pi's composite video (yellow RCA) and audio (blue 3.5mm stereo jack) with a cable/adapter combination something like this: http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... T.29_Cable (minus the SCART adapter) to the (spare) front panel AV connectors perhaps.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm 99% sure the HDMI port on the "receiver" is an output not an input and therefore will be of no use to us.

If you want the best picture quality from your Pi on that TV you would want to use a HDMI to component converter. Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Premium ... +converter

KILL

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 am

Ok, but is this converter box necessary?

Can't I just unplug everything except the TV and then plug in the raspberry pi?

Then use the yellow composite cable and 35mm audio jack into the TV?

I have this little converter thing. This should work for 35mm > RCA into the TV right?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:54 am

KILL wrote:Ok, but is this converter box necessary?

Can't I just unplug everything except the TV and then plug in the raspberry pi?

Then use the yellow composite cable and 35mm audio jack into the TV?

I have this little converter thing. This should work for 35mm > RCA into the TV right?
Almost right. From the photos your "little converter thing" appears to be a mono 3.5mm (not 35mm) jack to RCA phono (audio) mono (Red and White) converter. What you need is a stereo 3.5mm jack to RCA phono audio mono (Red and White) adapter (which has RCA sockets)** or cable (which has RCA plugs).
**Like that linked to on my previous post
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

KILL

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Thank you for your response. I meant 3.5mm, I always forget the period. :D

How much would this little splitter be?

I am in Canada and that converter box posted above is very expensive. I was hoping to keep the price under $70.

I need everything... The pi itself, wifi dongle, power supply, and SD card.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:25 pm

seems you want to connect the 3.5mm audio output to the two (red and white) RCA inputs of a TV, for that you need a $1.50 cable like the one shown here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4277

Video can be connected through the PI's RCA out to the yellow RCA in plug of a TV. This cable should be of slightly better quality (thicker coax) than the audio cables for a reasonable picture quality (quality will still suck compared to DCI-D or HDMI though, as TV quality has much improved the last few decades.)

KILL

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Ok well here is what I have put together.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id= ... 4#feedback - $0.76

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... =1&format= - $1.01

Now I found this little power supply for my wired/wireless Logitech mouse. It has USB>Micro USB.

Input 100-240v~50/60hz 0.13A
Output 5.15V - 1A

Would this work?

I assume any 4GB + SD card will work. That will probably be around $10.

What about the wifi? I have never used a wifi USB dongle before and I assume not all are compatible with Linux.

Thanks!

Oakham

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

LemmeFatale

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:52 pm

KILL wrote:What about the wifi? I have never used a wifi USB dongle before and I assume not all are compatible with Linux.
You can't go far wrong with one of these, in my experience. They're ludicrously easy to set up (the instructions can be accessed at the bottom of the linked page, there), and work very well.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Return to “General discussion”