ChicagoBob123

Any Wi Fi signal Gurus out there?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:22 pm

I created a portable WiFi server to work with my tablet, phone, etc. Got tired of having limited data bandwidth and not micro sd slots.
The PI streams data via ES FileServer to Android devices another another app to the iphone/ipad which stream samba.
My tablets work GREAT! I can hook up and play movies as long as the battery lasts.
My Android razr phone.. not so much. I dont think its the phone becase if I hook up to my home wifi networked NAS via ESFile Server i can stream movies all the way to the end but with the WiFi PI it plays for about 1 to 5 minutes it just disconnects.
(Phone says its still connected but I can no longer access any of the local media)
Makes no sense to me at all.
So I am wondering if there is a setting on the PI like a ping that determines connectivity that can be different on my regular router vs my Pi HotSpot?
Hope that was clear enough. When its all done I can't wait to post a YouTube video on this.
Bob

lenkf

Re: Any Wi Fi signal Gurus out there?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Definitely not a guru, but have been messing with the pi and wifi a bit. I have an outside pi which sole purpose is to run motion with a usb webcam pointing at aviary (207.127.177.81:8081 using firefox). This pi is both headless and wireless. For several weeks the pi would loose its wifi signal strangely and I couldn't connect remotely with ssh to restart. I messed around trying to improve the wlan0 reliability via software with no improvement. I finally substituted a 2 amp power supply for the original 1 amp power supply. The pi (and wireless dongle) are at a bit of a distance and 2 walls separated from the access point. I suspect when the wireless dongle was running at full power for a while (transmitting images thru motion's http server) it would overtax the supposed 1 amp power supply.

The 2 amp ps has enabled the remote pi to operate flawlessly, not dropping wireless signal nor loosing http and ssh connections.

Fred

ChicagoBob123

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:26 am

Can you tell me what wifi dongle you are using.
Thanks,
Bob

lenkf

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Sorry for delay in reply. The wifi dongle on the aviary rpi is a Netgear stubby usb dongle I picked up at a local store.

Fred

Return to “General discussion”