DeanC

Keeping your Pi in the fridge.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:51 pm

I think the subject says it all. Trying to optimize the running temperature of a RPi overclocked with full load with fan and heat sinks.

In theory (or my head, specifically), it seems this would work. But before doing so, I'm making a post to see if someone out there knows something I don't in regards to keeping your Pi in the fridge.

Do I need to worry about humidity?

p.s. I would also be adding the camera module to take a picture of my fridge when it's closed... because I just need to know!
We 'idiot proofed' the world, and now it's full of idiots!

W. H. Heydt

Re: Keeping your Pi in the fridge.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:39 am

DeanC wrote: Do I need to worry about humidity?
Yes.

AndyD

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:46 am

Take a look at this post. Bottom line is that the people who know say that cooling the Raspberry Pi is not required and if anything may be counter productive.

solar3000

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:59 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Yes.
my refrigerator automatically removes humidity. Not a strange new feature.
Antikythera

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 am

solar3000 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Yes.
my refrigerator automatically removes humidity. Not a strange new feature.
Well...I'm sure it claims it does, but every time you open the door, you're going to get water vapor added into it and it's not like it will instantly vanish. There are also degrees of moisture removal. How good a job your refrigerator does--when new, as well as after a few years--could be debated.

I'm not saying that you *will* have a humidity problem, but it is something you should consider. If it were me, I'd have the Pi in a sealed case with a packet of silica gel.

OtherCrashOverride

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:49 am

For the price of a fridge + Pi, you could certainly purchase something else that meets your performance requirements in a normal environment instead.

**SPOILER ALERT**
When you close the door, the light does indeed go out.

Heater

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:53 am

Apart from finding out if the fridge light does actually go off when you close the door this is totally pointless.
Do let us know the results of you experiment.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

JoeDaStudd

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:21 am

For the price of the fans, heatsinks, adapters and time it would probably work out cheaper just to get another RasPi that way your doubling up the performance :D

Cancelor

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:40 am

OtherCrashOverride wrote:For the price of a fridge + Pi, you could certainly purchase something else that meets your performance requirements in a normal environment instead.

**SPOILER ALERT**
does the cam work while it is in the fridge?! :lol:
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

RaTTuS

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:42 am

you don't need a fan or heatsinks let alone a fridge...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Heater

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 am

On the other hand...

If you can get your fridge down to -40C I'd be interested to know if the Pi works for an extended time at the low end of the industrial temperature spec. Will it start up from cold at that ambient temperature?

Seems that the Pi that carried Babbage up to 30Km must have spend some time at -60C according to this information:

Burngate

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:18 am

OtherCrashOverride wrote:**SPOILER ALERT**
Mine doesn't!

The switch is broken

RaTTuS

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 am

Burngate wrote:
OtherCrashOverride wrote:**SPOILER ALERT**
Mine doesn't!

The switch is broken
In that case the camera will work OK
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Heater

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:23 pm

On the other, other hand,

A camera in the fridge might answer the question of where all the food and beer disappears to in the night!

confuseling

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:46 pm

ednl wrote:...
Well, whatever the environment temperature/humidity, it sure doesn't work in pitch dark.
Confuse your family / flatmates (not to mention your condiments) with a camera flash going off in the deep recesses of the vegetable crisper...
OtherCrashOverride wrote:...
**SPOILER ALERT**
That is *exactly* what THEY want you to think. :D
http://forums.debian.net

gritz

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:26 pm

confuseling wrote:
ednl wrote:...
Well, whatever the environment temperature/humidity, it sure doesn't work in pitch dark.
Confuse your family / flatmates (not to mention your condiments) with a camera flash going off in the deep recesses of the vegetable crisper...
OtherCrashOverride wrote:...
**SPOILER ALERT**
That is *exactly* what THEY want you to think. :D
:lol:

Perhaps the light is both on and off at the same time, thus simultaneously illuminating / not illuminating the chilly and confused lettuce. Maybe that's where Schrödinger got the idea...

Heater

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:48 pm

gritz,
Maybe that's where Schrödinger got the idea...
I think I have Schrödinger's old fridge. When I open the door sometimes the light is on and sometimes it is off.
This is really annoying and I don't really don't care what state the light is in when the door is closed.

Luckily Schrödinger did not leave his cat in there.

simplesi

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10 pm

I would also be adding the camera module to take a picture of my fridge when it's closed... because I just need to know!
This is what makes the the RPi so great - getting answers to previously unknown questions.

Make sure the door frame won't shield the wifi signal otherwise we'll still never get to know :)

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

confuseling

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Next week from the "Automation, sensing and mysteries of the ages solved" forum:

Pi falling over alone in a forest - exclusive .ogg! Bears in the woods - shocking revelations! (rated PG)

Stay tuned! :D
http://forums.debian.net

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Contrary to what some have stated, the camera board will work just fine in the dark. It will faithfully get you a picture of a space with no visible light. You will get a picture that is all black. (Similarly, a camera with the lens cap in place will take a picture...of the back of the unilluminated lens cap.)

DeanC

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:38 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Contrary to what some have stated, the camera board will work just fine in the dark. It will faithfully get you a picture of a space with no visible light. You will get a picture that is all black. (Similarly, a camera with the lens cap in place will take a picture...of the back of the unilluminated lens cap.)
I have to believe in a small dark space, that the camera's led will provide enough light (in the event that my vegetables aren't partying it up) to take a pic.

Just imagining building a supercomputer that resides in a fridge for cooling purposes. I have an old hotel fridge that could be the case for about 50-70 pi's, running overclocked. I guess the fridge bottom could be packed in silica salt.
We 'idiot proofed' the world, and now it's full of idiots!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:24 am

DeanC wrote: Just imagining building a supercomputer that resides in a fridge for cooling purposes. I have an old hotel fridge that could be the case for about 50-70 pi's, running overclocked. I guess the fridge bottom could be packed in silica salt.
There was one that ran in a fish tank...sort of. One of the Cray models. Put a whole new light on the idea of "liquid cooling".

AndrewS

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:46 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
DeanC wrote: Just imagining building a supercomputer that resides in a fridge for cooling purposes. I have an old hotel fridge that could be the case for about 50-70 pi's, running overclocked. I guess the fridge bottom could be packed in silica salt.
There was one that ran in a fish tank...sort of. One of the Cray models. Put a whole new light on the idea of "liquid cooling".
If you search around the internet there's a whole bunch of DIY mineral-oil-cooled PCs too ;)

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:55 am

AndrewS wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
If you search around the internet there's a whole bunch of DIY mineral-oil-cooled PCs too ;)
The one that was really "cool" was the rig that used the same fluorochlorocarbon liquid that Cray used, but they circulated it through a heat exchanger loop, chilling everything with liquid Nitrogen. Only problem was that the FClC liquid started to gel at the L N2 temperature.

Return to “General discussion”