bikecomp

Installing on a USB

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm doing some research and testing around...trying to see if Raspberry Pi might be what I'm looking for. I want to install some of the different versions of Raspberry Pi/Linux onto a flash drive and run my regular laptop from the flash drive. Is this possible and if so how do I go about doing it? I know I can do it from VMware Player, granted I've been having trouble trying to get Ubunutu to run correctly right now but that's another story altogether. I know from what I've seen on some youtube videos that I can't run Ubuntu on a Pi so I know I also want to experiment around with the older releases...hence why I want to be able to turn the computer on and have it boot right into Raspian, Pidora, Arch, etc. I don't want to write over Windows 7 or be able to do a dual(choice) boot, I would much rather just have to it start up directly from the flash drive. I have changed the boot up sequence so it should try to boot from the USB first, but can I install Linux directly to a flash drive.

itimpi

Re: Installing on a USB

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:59 pm

No this is not possible.

Then Pi is based on an Intel processor while then Pi uses an ARM processor.

The closest you might get is where you run some sort of emulator on the laptop (è.GB. Qemu) that can emulate the ARM processor and run some Pi OS under that emulator.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:33 pm

yes, but there are no emulators that emulate the whole PI, only its CPU, so even this way it simply isn't possible.

confuseling

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:45 am

If the question is: "Can I boot my normal computer from a USB stick, without changing the OS that's already on there?", the answer is yes.

Google for "Live USB" for whatever distro you want to run. If you want to be able to make changes, you might search for "Persistent Live USB".

If you don't already have a running Unix system, arguably the easiest (though not the most reliable) method is using a tool called Unetbootin, which works on Windows.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
http://forums.debian.net

Heater

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00 am

confuseling,
If the question is: "Can I boot my normal computer from a USB stick, without changing the OS that's already on there?", the answer is yes.
That is true. Provided the operating system you are trying to boot is built for the processor you have in your laptop. You cannot boot an Intel laptop into Raspian which is an ARM operating system.

The question is:
I want to install some of the different versions of Raspberry Pi/Linux onto a flash drive and run my regular laptop from the flash drive. Is this possible
And the answer is NO. See above.

What you can do is run an ARM emulator, qemu, on your laptop and have that emulator boot Raspian. I have done this and it works. Perhaps not as fast as one would wish but good enough.

Have a google for "qemu raspian" and I'm sure you will find some links to instructions like I did.

No idea if this has been done for other Raspi operating systems but I feel it should be possible.

Heater

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:05 am

I'm not getting at bikecomp here but I do find it amazing that we have been living in an Intel dominated world for so long that people don't even think there might be a different processor/computer architecture.

Yes I know we are surrounded by ARM chips in phones and tabs now a days but people are mostly not into installing operating systems on those.

Seems the Pi was indeed needed to remind people what a computer is.

confuseling

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:16 am

Heater wrote:...
That is true. Provided the operating system you are trying to boot is built for the processor you have in your laptop. You cannot boot an Intel laptop into Raspian which is an ARM operating system.
True.

But from a beginner user's point of view, the difference between Debian and Raspbian (or Fedora and Pidora, etc...) should be more or less academic (apart from the performance, which is basically just the hardware difference anyway, and a few nice installation / config scripts etc.)

What we're trying to get at is: You can't use the same OS image on a 'normal' i386/amd64 PC and a Raspberry Pi. But Raspberry Pi versions of Linux distros are basically just normal Linux distros recompiled for the ARM chip with a few extra goodies - almost everything you learn on one system is directly transferable to the other.

(Granted, you won't be able to download random binary .debs you've found on the net and get them to run on the Pi. But you probably should be sticking to the main repositories anyway as a beginner, at least with Debian. The Pi Store is a bit of a wild-card, but there isn't much in it yet I don't believe...)

bikecomp

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:21 am

Okay, I have to plead ignorance in this case. Boy, I'm already learning and I thought I knew quite a bit about computers. I guess I don't know as much as I thought I did. Is the fact that Pi is based on ARM versus i386 the reason you can't use Ubuntu on a Pi? I was guessing it was the difference between 16/32/64 bit structure and not bigger differences between processors/processor addressing(I'm guessing now). I figured it had to do with the processor but not to this degree.

I was wanting, for testing purposes to try to install one of Pi version on a USB flash drive and use it on my regular i386 structure laptop since that is all I have to work with right now. I see that is going to be a bit difficult but I will do some checking for an ARM emulator.

LemmeFatale

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 am

bikecomp wrote:Is the fact that Pi is based on ARM versus i386 the reason you can't use Ubuntu on a Pi?
That's because Ubuntu dropped support for the particular generation of ARM processor which is used in the Raspberry Pi (which is ARMv6), though they do support later ARM versions.
I was wanting, for testing purposes to try to install one of Pi version on a USB flash drive and use it on my regular i386 structure laptop since that is all I have to work with right now. I see that is going to be a bit difficult but I will do some checking for an ARM emulator.
Raspbian, the main recommended OS for the Raspberry Pi, is based on Debian (which is used as the base for Ubuntu, as well), so I would suggest giving that a spin if you're just looking to get a feel for what you'll get on an RPi - just bear in mind that the Raspberry Pi will be slower than your laptop. I don't think there's any need to deal with the hassle of emulating the processor architecture and suchlike, in this case.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

confuseling

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 am

For Debian, get an LXDE Live image - that'll be the closest.

http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Return to “General discussion”