matthewrpenny

What age is too young for a Pi

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:11 am

Hi all.

I will be shortly getting my Pi for general media server (and messing about duties) but was thinking whether they would be suitable for a younger pair of hands, my 3 and 6 year olds are a wizz on the laptop and have progressed from the leap pad / innotabs / cheap tablets that you see in argos etc... and spend more time on our phones playing games, samsung tabs and the type would be ideal but too expensive so was thinking maybe a couple of Pi's would take care of web games (disney channel, Cbeebies etc) and maybe spark an interest in computers. is 3 too young?? they are both Bi-lingual so pretty clever (much more than daddy) and pick up on things very quickly!

and before anyone asks, I'm not the kind of parent that will drop them in front of a PC and all usage will be monitored!

Just a thought with xmas coming!!

TTFN

AndrewS

Re: What age is too young for a Pi

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:18 am

Have a look at http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1444 and search for Tux4Kids :)

SirLagz

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:47 am

6 year old will be able to handle it, my 6 year old is playing tuxmath and tuxpaint.
3 year old is probably a bit too young though. Give it another year.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

Calvin Cycle

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm in a very similar situation. I have just bought my Pi and will be looking to get my 4yr old on it once it is working. I'll let you know how I get on. No doubt then the 2yr old will want in too!

CC

solar3000

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:35 pm

My son was 3 years old when he started playing with linux x windows.
Antikythera

Heater

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:20 pm

If your first impulse on meeting any new thing is jamming it your mouth then I suspect you are bit young for a Raspberry Pi.

Later on if you have the urge to smash things with that wooden mallet that comes with the "round peg round hole" toy (do kids still have those?) then I suspect you are bit young for a Raspberry Pi.

My observation is that kids are totally fascinated by whatever daddy is doing. So that leaves it up to parents to set examples. You will know when your sprogs are receptive to ideas.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

matthewrpenny

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 am

[quote="Heater"]

Later on if you have the urge to smash things with that wooden mallet that comes with the "round peg round hole" toy (do kids still have those?) then I suspect you are bit young for a Raspberry Pi.

My observation is that kids are totally fascinated by whatever daddy is doing. So that leaves it up to parents to set examples. You will know when your sprogs are receptive to ideas.[/quote]

I'm stuffed! as an engineer my first instinct is to hit EVERYTHING with a hammer, my kids are far more refined (must take after mummy) my eldest loves taking apart my "toy" rc cars (as wife calls them) and putting back together with me, the youngest doesn't really care, as long as it has peppa pig on it she wants it!

will see how they respond to mine and go from there, some of the threads on educational software are great so think there will be plenty for them to do!!

Thanks again

JoeDaStudd

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:08 pm

I keep meaning to create something which plays music or animation depending on keyboard clicks and mouse movement for my niece purely as wants to copy what everyone else is doing when using the computer.
Alas her being 15 months old normally ends in her closing what ever application I set running for her.

For learning I wouldn't really try anything younger then 5 as any younger and your just asking for them to short something out or eat/crew something they shouldn't.

Takenover83

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:24 pm

You want *MY* opinion? Your children are to young. They have their whole lifes to fiddle with electronic's. But you are only a "child" for a short time. Let em be kid's and enjoy the wonder's of outdoor's. I have a much younger brother who's nose is stuck in his xbox 90% of the time he is awake and not at school. Shame really. When I was his age, you could not keep me in the house. Just one man's opinion.

Heater

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Yep,

I think it's important kids experience reality whilst their young brains are absorbent.

The book "Fifty Dangerous Things (You should let your children do)" expands on this idea:
http://www.fiftydangerousthings.com/

It includes such old favorites as:

Climb trees.
Burn things with magnifying glasses.
Stick their finger together with super glue.
Lick nine volt batteries.
Dismantle some household appliance.
Make a "bomb" from baking soda and vinegar.

SirLagz

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:38 am

Don't need to be a kid to stick your fingers together with superglue :D
And I still haven't licked a 9 volt battery yet.
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

Heater

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:58 am

SirLagz,

There was no such thing as super glue when I was a kid so it turns out I still haven't stuck my fingers together with it.

As we are being big kids for a moment...I dare you.

If you lick a new fully charged nine volt battery I'll stick my fingers together with super glue.

SirLagz

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:54 am

Haha, I don't have any new 9V batteries spare :P
One day when I get one, I'll try it out though :D

Heater

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 am

Chicken:)

Oddly I don't have any super glue around here. The hardware store is nearby though, be back later...

SirLagz

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:55 am

Haha, nope, I just don't have any at the moment :P
When I go to the shops next I'll get one :P

matthewrpenny

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:58 am

Takenover83 wrote:You want *MY* opinion? Your children are to young. They have their whole lifes to fiddle with electronic's. But you are only a "child" for a short time. Let em be kid's and enjoy the wonder's of outdoor's. I have a much younger brother who's nose is stuck in his xbox 90% of the time he is awake and not at school. Shame really. When I was his age, you could not keep me in the house. Just one man's opinion.
Thanks for your opinion,

as I said in the OP computers are not a substitute for proper parenting and expieriencing things in the real world,

both my daughters dance 4 nights a week, eldest is in brownies, and as we are lucky enough to live in north wales close to the beach and mountains spend most of the weekends up and down hills chasing sheep and splashing in the sea!

my 6yo uses computers at school so I am just trying to bring some of that into the home, ( i can't read with her as she goes to a welsh school and I can't read or speak welsh... the wife however is fluent)

again thanks for your opinion and I do understand where it comes from, far to many kids spend 5-6 hours a night on xbox / internet / watching TV instead of talking / reading / being outside / sleeping.... I live opposite a Junior school and see kids aged 8 - 10 drinking redbull in the morning cos they have been up all night playing games!!

Cheers

matthewrpenny

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:11 am

SirLagz wrote:Don't need to be a kid to stick your fingers together with superglue :D

my favorite trick is gluing a bolt to my lips when I have forgotten which is glued, 2 hands is far to few for an engineer trying to mend / bodge / build anything

:)

SirLagz

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 pm

matthewrpenny wrote:
SirLagz wrote:Don't need to be a kid to stick your fingers together with superglue :D

my favorite trick is gluing a bolt to my lips when I have forgotten which is glued, 2 hands is far to few for an engineer trying to mend / bodge / build anything

:)
haha too right

I'm always in need of 4 or 5 hands to build / fix whatever I'm trying to build / fix

JoeDaStudd

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Heater wrote:Yep,

I think it's important kids experience reality whilst their young brains are absorbent.

The book "Fifty Dangerous Things (You should let your children do)" expands on this idea:
http://www.fiftydangerousthings.com/

It includes such old favorites as:

Climb trees.
Burn things with magnifying glasses.
Stick their finger together with super glue.
Lick nine volt batteries.
Dismantle some household appliance.
Make a "bomb" from baking soda and vinegar.
I remember doing each one of those.
Good times until about the 5th time I knocked myself out swinging (and falling) from trees and got amnesia (one of the most scary things I've ever had happen to me) via that last one. Admittedly I was about 15 at the time so not exactly a child.
The stick your fingers together was also a very memorable one. Just hold this, 10 seconds later I had webbed fingers. Trust me if your doing that one make sure its not superglue. Nowhere near as fun as PVA and takes forever to get off.

I completely agree kids should be kids, but I can't see the harm in building a robot or a game when its not fit to be outside.
Far better then them watching TV or playing computer games.

LemmeFatale

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:03 pm

I definitely agree with the notion of letting kids be kids, but it's obvious from the very fact that you're here asking sensible questions about it that you already know that. ;) So, I just wanted to share my thoughts, if that's alright!

I was given my first computer more than two decades ago, as a Christmas present when I was at the age of six, after showing a keen interest in computers myself. I still have it right here, in fact, and it gave me the opportunity to pick up various skills and traits which have never left me, as well as firing my imagination in general via the games and software that I bought and used for it.

I am unfortunately not of a programming mindset so it didn't help me too much there (I did give it a good go, and have tried again a number of times since, but I just don't ever gel with it), but it nonetheless helped me to pick up transferrable skills that are still with me today - typing, command-line usage (it helped my memory, considering that back then we didn't have niceties like being able to hit the up arrow-key to use commands from the day before!), general common sense about using differing interfaces (i.e., you can't expect them all to be the same, as they never have been and never will be), that sort of thing.

Of course, it's also left me raising an eyebrow in more recent years whenever I've seen folks freaking out over using command lines (which all of the 8-bit home micros booted to), when there's nothing scary about them... :lol:

Not all things learned from a home-computer have to be strictly computing-related, though; I was given a strict limit of one hour per day using it (two hours per day on weekends), though, and with hindsight I can see that this also helped me to learn self-restraint, as well as computing skills (I also got to watch TV, too, and that never did me any harm either ;) ). And, as I'm sure most here know, the dominant software format for the computers of the 1980s was cassette tapes, so plenty of patience was learned via loading things from those, as well as from saving my pennies to buy new software in the first place. Reading the manuals, as well as the computing magazines of the day (which we now have a brilliant present-day equivalent to in the form of The MagPi) also helped me to expand my vocabulary and understanding, too.

If your kids already have an interest in the field, and you want to set them up with practical skills that they can use later on (rather than, say, locking them into how to click particular menus in particular software packages, which will definitely change later on), then I'd say go for it. I've always been very grateful (as you might guess from the above) that my own parents saw it that way.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Heater

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:36 am

LemmeFatale
I was given a strict limit of one hour per day using it
No wonder those programming skills did not gel.

LemmeFatale

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:16 am

Heater wrote:LemmeFatale
I was given a strict limit of one hour per day using it
No wonder those programming skills did not gel.
Hahaha, maybe. :lol: I think it's more that it wasn't quite what I was interested in, though.

I'll give it another go at some point, though, I promise. :P
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Return to “General discussion”