rdb

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Fixed at 512MB, ext4 format. This is set in the partitions.json file so could be easily modified for a local copy in /os.

Basically you would have to wget the files from downloads.raspberrypi.org/data_partition and copy into a "data_partition" folder in /os. From that point it is easy to modify the partition to your requirements by changing the JSON files.

paraguaypi

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:44 pm

i am having a bit of trouble setting up NOOBS. i downloaded it, put it on my formatted SD card, and stuck it in my pi, nothing happened. i tried the different keys for display settings but cant get it to work. thank you all for answering my stupid questions :D
ParaguayPi,
Over and Out

Cancelor

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:03 pm

I do not believe it! :evil:

Further to my previous posts ... I was getting nowhere with loading NOOBS using my Ubuntu laptop so I got hold of a USB SD reader so I could try it on an old XP machine I have..... and it worked with no problems!!!

Flushed with success I tried it on my laptop (not using the built in SD reader but using the USB one instead) .... again it work first time with no problems!

Different power or bad connections in laptop? I dunno coz it seemed to format, read and write fine before.

It's working now ... thanks to all for your help. ..... ! :idea:
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

rdb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:03 pm

paraguaypi wrote:i am having a bit of trouble setting up NOOBS. i downloaded it, put it on my formatted SD card, and stuck it in my pi, nothing happened. i tried the different keys for display settings but cant get it to work. thank you all for answering my stupid questions :D
Did you follow the instructions listed in http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide?

rdb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Cancelor wrote:I do not believe it! :evil:

Further to my previous posts ... I was getting nowhere with loading NOOBS using my Ubuntu laptop so I got hold of a USB SD reader so I could try it on an old XP machine I have..... and it worked with no problems!!!

Flushed with success I tried it on my laptop (not using the built in SD reader but using the USB one instead) .... again it work first time with no problems!

Different power or bad connections in laptop? I dunno coz it seemed to format, read and write fine before.

It's a problem we've seen before but I don't really understand the cause.

Cancelor

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:08 pm

paraguaypi wrote:i am having a bit of trouble setting up NOOBS. i downloaded it, put it on my formatted SD card, and stuck it in my pi, nothing happened. i tried the different keys for display settings but cant get it to work. thank you all for answering my stupid questions :D
Here is a very good link that was given to me by AndrewS earlier ;) http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

paraguaypi

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:12 pm

rdb wrote:
Did you follow the instructions listed in http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide?
yes
ParaguayPi,
Over and Out

rdb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Could you clarify "nothing happened"?

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:22 pm

rdb wrote:

I remember seeing that talked about last year. On the other hand, the built-in SD slot in my Win7 system has no problems reading/writing/formatting SD cards for Pis.

AndrewdAzotus

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:31 pm

OK.

In the initial install screen for the network/lite version, I didn’t see the 512MB ext4 thing, which is fine. I can manage without.

However, I left the language as UK and set the keyboard to US. and Raspi-config is now speaking to me in French!

Although I'm in Canada and I speak some French, I’d really rather it didn’t!

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:23 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
rdb wrote:

I remember seeing that talked about last year. On the other hand, the built-in SD slot in my Win7 system has no problems reading/writing/formatting SD cards for Pis.
I always use an external USB SDHC card reader/writer - one (or the other) of two integral branded devices supplied with the first (early) SDHC cards (4Gb, class 4) I purchased. IIRC, at the time there was some mention of SDHC compatible reading/writing devices being "rolled out" to camera manufacturers first, and, later, to the "computer market" over a period of ~12 months. My netbook SD slot is not marked SDHC and could have been manufactured "too early" - hence my "caution". Since I have two of them, FWIW, I'd be happy to let one be used for "further investigation" and/or perform any diagnostics that might improve "our" understanding.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:42 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote:OK.

In the initial install screen for the network/lite version, I didn’t see the 512MB ext4 thing, which is fine. I can manage without.

However, I left the language as UK and set the keyboard to US. and Raspi-config is now speaking to me in French!

I've now been able to download a version of "NOOBS lite", which, according to the time-stamp should be the updated version.
However, it's sha1sum appears to be the same as the "original version" IIRC (but, I could be checking against an updated webpage so that could be O.K.) Like @AndrewdAzotus I don't see "the 512MB ext4 thing".

I've tried to install three times so far (on a 4Gb card) and this is what happened:

1) Change language to US to match my wireless mini-keyboard. Select Raspbian & Pidora - install "box" says there's enough space. Start install. This aborts, now saying there's not enough space (~150Mb extra now required). Reboots to a blank screen but, since my monitor doesn't switch back from DVI to VGA mode (for my netbook) I'm guessing there's still an HDMI signal of some sort there. So, power-down, remove and re-format and re-write the card.

2) Like 1) change keyboard settings but, this time, select Raspbian and Raspxbmc (a slightly smaller combination). Installation proceeds to completion but, on re-boot, there are no O.S.'s to "boot up" from.

3) Change keyboard settings as before but now just select Raspbian. Installation proceeds O.K. and, as one would expect, on reboot boots straight into Raspbian. Just change Pi's password and hostname in raspi-config. Then test keyboard setting at the command-line. Still thinks I have a UK layout, hence '@' and '#' are generated by the wrong keys. Reboot, holding 'Shift' down once the keyboard dongle has connected into recovery mode - Raspbian does not appear to be installed.

Given the above symptoms I suspect that, despite the time-stamp, I actually downloaded an "unchanged" version.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

rdb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Is this reproducible? If you change the language does it stay in French or is it just that particular combination?

Can you try to change the language and if it stays in french, drop to a shell by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F1, login with root/raspberry then let me know what language is given in `more /settings/noobs.conf`?

If its reproducible then please file as a bug in GitHub.

rdb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 pm

I don't think the CDN has sync'd properly - I'm looking into this now.

The updated version should fix the blank boot selection screen issue.

I'm surprised that Raspbian did not pick up the keyboard layout change. Can you reproduce this?

rdb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Found the Pidora space estimate bug. Will fix and push to the CDN.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:04 pm

rdb wrote:I don't think the CDN has sync'd properly - I'm looking into this now.

The updated version should fix the blank boot selection screen issue.

I'm surprised that Raspbian did not pick up the keyboard layout change. Can you reproduce this?
1) Thanks
2) That's what I thought too.
3) I'll try again tomorrow. FWIW I'm posting the contents of "noobs.conf" and "config.txt" below (since I can pick them up via my Ubuntu netbook):

noobs.conf :

Code: Select all

[General]
display_mode=0
keyboard_layout=us
language=us
config.txt :

Code: Select all

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

# NOOBS Auto-generated Settings:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
config_hdmi_boost=4
overscan_left=24
overscan_right=24
overscan_top=16
overscan_bottom=16
disable_overscan=0

paraguaypi

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 pm

paraguaypi wrote:
rdb wrote:
yes
i got it to work but now it doesn't display any os's for me to chose from. should i try to download it again?
ParaguayPi,
Over and Out

AndrewdAzotus

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:12 pm

rdb wrote:

Is this reproducible? If you change the language does it stay in French or is it just that particular combination?

Can you try to change the language and if it stays in french, drop to a shell by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F1, login with root/raspberry then let me know what language is given in `more /settings/noobs.conf`?

Once Raspbian booted I used Raspi-config to force the locale into ca_EN and all was good. I'll try and reproduce it this evening.

I'll try the lite version again.

(what does it say when I'm looking forward to re-building an SD card for my Pi)

AndrewS

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:16 pm

paraguaypi wrote:i got it to work but now it doesn't display any os's for me to chose from. should i try to download it again?
As Rob says, there's currently a problem with their CDN (Content Distribution Network) which means when you try to download NOOBS v1.3 it's completely pot luck (until it's fixed) whether you get the 'new' NOOBS v1.3 download (dated 23rd September) or the 'old' NOOBS v1.3 download (dated 19th September) :(

AndrewdAzotus

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote:
rdb wrote:

Once Raspbian booted I used Raspi-config to force the locale into ca_EN and all was good. I'll try and reproduce it this evening.

I'll try the lite version again.

(what does it say when I'm looking forward to re-building an SD card for my Pi)
I can't reproduce the error as I now get an error downloading meta file: data_partition/data_partition.png

32GBSDHC transcend and I'm ticking every image except the "go straight to scratch" one. I have the 512MB ext4 'image' now

I've just removed the 512 ext4 and it is installing..., I'll let you know about the french thing

AndrewS

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote:I can't reproduce the error as I now get an error downloading meta file: data_partition/data_partition.png
Hmmm, http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/os_list.json has references to http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/data_p ... tition.png but trying to view / download that file gives permission errors. More problems with the CDN Rob? :?

AndrewdAzotus

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:04 am

It's definitely looking a bit "French-ish" still

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 am

AndrewdAzotus wrote:It's definitely looking a bit "French-ish" still
That's not a terribly helpful bug report is it? Could you please follow the instructions I gave to help determine the cause?

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:01 am

FYI, the CDN is now synced so you are guaranteed to get the updated NOOBS beta release.

The "Data Partition" functionality should also now work - feedback welcome.

AndrewS

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:50 am

rdb wrote:FYI, the CDN is now synced so you are guaranteed to get the updated NOOBS beta release.
Great! If you could just update the SHA1 checksums on http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4863 ... ;)

Return to “General discussion”