rdb
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 pm

beta-tester wrote:
rdb wrote:
beta-tester wrote:is it possible to change the boot behavior?
what i am looking for is
1. changing (enlarge or reduce) the time to continue the boot.
What is the usage case where this is necessary? It is not user configurable unless you build NOOBS yourself from source.
i usually used my RPi as mediaplayer (OpenELEC). the RPi and my NAS (that contains all my media) are connected to the same powerplug. when i switch on the power, the NAS takes ~120seconds to fully boot up and expose its share. the RPi is much faster. when OpenELEC does not can mount the NAS at its boot time, i have no access to my media on my NAS. on "BerryBoot" (what i currently use and want to replace by NOOBS) i enlarged the time of the boot menu up to 120 seconds to be sure my NAS is fully booted up to be able to mount, when OpenELEC boots up.
that is the only reason, for what i want to change the boot delay time.
I would suggest that you should look into modifying and building NOOBS from source for this given that its such a specific use case. We simply can't support every single use case that people have for NOOBS.

As for adding the issue to GitHub - I'm sure others will request it (and its on my own internal roadmap anyway).

beta-tester
Posts: 1236
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:46 pm

ya, thank you any how... it was only a try... ;)
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:01 pm

rdb wrote:
beta-tester wrote:i usually used my RPi as mediaplayer (OpenELEC). the RPi and my NAS (that contains all my media) are connected to the same powerplug. when i switch on the power, the NAS takes ~120seconds to fully boot up and expose its share. the RPi is much faster. when OpenELEC does not can mount the NAS at its boot time, i have no access to my media on my NAS. on "BerryBoot" (what i currently use and want to replace by NOOBS) i enlarged the time of the boot menu up to 120 seconds to be sure my NAS is fully booted up to be able to mount, when OpenELEC boots up.
that is the only reason, for what i want to change the boot delay time.
I would suggest that you should look into modifying and building NOOBS from source for this given that its such a specific use case. We simply can't support every single use case that people have for NOOBS.
I was about to suggest that you could use the 'rootdelay' kernel command line option for this, but unfortunately both NOOBS and OpenELEC both run from an initrd, i.e. they don't have a separate rootfs, and thus the rootdelay option has no effect on either!

Obviously a "better" fix would be to have an option in OpenELEC that could "refresh" it's network mounts, so that it could look again for network drives that weren't present when it booted up. But I don't use any XBMC-distros myself, so I dunno if this is possible.

User avatar
FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4999
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Bristol, U.K.
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:13 pm

rdb wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote: W.r.t. "SHIFT & the splashscreen: it's difficult for me to tell at the moment since the monitor I'm using is shared between my netbook (on VGA mode) and the Pi (on DVI mode). By the time I switched it from VGA to DVI (a couple of button presses) and ensured the wireless keypad has connected I don't usually see a grey splashscreen. I have a DTV with HDMI input I can try again on later and let you know the outcome.
Trev.
If you can't see the splashscreen try repeatedly toggling the shift key at high speed from bootup. That may work more reliably.
Have re-tested the response to "SHIFT" using the DTV's HDMI input with the wireless mini-keyword or a wired keyboard (both US layout) and now understand the "event sequence" and timing better:
Using the wired keyboard if I press "SHIFT" after the "rainbow splash screen" has "blanked" I get the "recovery menu" etc. This happens even when the key is pressed before the screen with the "press/hold shift message" appears.
With the wireless mini-keyboard "scanning for a connection" before powering up the Pi, a connection is not established until well after the "rainbow screen" has blanked and the next screen appears but if I manage to press shift in that much smaller "time slot" then I can get into recovery mode. That much smaller time slot is of the order of a couple of seconds, or about a fifth of the time available with the wired keyboard. Is this consistent with expected behaviour?

Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

User avatar
Robert_M
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 am

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:22 pm

These notes don't relate to functionality but, instead, to the installer slide show.

1.) The second slide for OpenELEC has the following typo: "remote controle"

2.) The RISC-OS slide series seems to be missing the first, introductory, slide and goes straight into the slides describing the features of RISC-OS.

3.) So far, the slides I've seen have all been on white backgrounds, except for RaspBMC, which uses a black background. I realize that "red on black" fits their overall design and may be a non-issue as far as the installer is concerned, but to me it looks a little out of place when the other OS slides default to a white background.


So far, I've only tried installing Raspbian, OpenELEC, RISC-OS and RaspBMC, so I can't comment about the slides for the other OSes until I scare up another SD card.


Otherwise, I've got Raspbian and RaspBMC running fine and dandy from the 23 Sept version. My hat's off to a fine bit of work!
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 pm

rdb wrote:
AndrewS wrote:As Rob says, there's currently a problem with their CDN (Content Distribution Network)
There isn't a problem as such, it just takes a while to sync to all of the CDN end-nodes.
I'm running another sync now so in <6 hours the following should be fixed:
Curious... presumably the CDN end-nodes all have high bandwidth (otherwise there'd be no point them being part of a CDN!) so why the big delay in getting all the CDN nodes synced up correctly? Or is there a big difference between internal-CDN-bandwidth and external-facing-CDN-bandwidth? (as you can tell, this isn't something I have much experience with ;) )

As Rob still hasn't updated the sha1sums on http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4863 here's the sha1sums I get (downloaded each file twice to check I got the correct values) from the latest files:
101551c0bcc2fa3d9c23a1d22ca084e8b81a189e NOOBS_lite_v1_3_BETA.zip (20919638 bytes)
3ac2e266374e5262d7f649dbb7368963f7491675 NOOBS_v1_3_BETA.zip (1149285008 bytes)

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Robert_M wrote:So far, I've only tried installing Raspbian, OpenELEC, RISC-OS and RaspBMC, so I can't comment about the slides for the other OSes until I scare up another SD card.
The slide images are browsable directly on a NOOBS SD-card, you don't have to do a full installation just to view them ;-)
See e.g. the os/Raspbian/slides_vga/ directory.

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33 pm

beta-tester wrote:4. an option to install the same image twice or more to the same SD card.
You already asked this question, and I already answered it... :|
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 24#p424424

More Pi Please
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:51 pm

Thank you for the disabling of the splash screen!

beta-tester
Posts: 1236
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:47 am

AndrewS wrote:
beta-tester wrote:4. an option to install the same image twice or more to the same SD card.
You already asked this question, and I already answered it... :|
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 24#p424424
Yes, i know, but i have to do it by hand to have the possibility. for that, what i am looking for, it would be nice to have a list of available images and a list of chosen images/partitions (where you can add/remove/reorder/rename/edit each of the chosen image you want and so have the possibility to add an image more then one time).
anyhow, i don't ask again for that (at the moment) 8-)
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

User avatar
Robert_M
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 am

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:06 am

AndrewS wrote:
Robert_M wrote:So far, I've only tried installing Raspbian, OpenELEC, RISC-OS and RaspBMC, so I can't comment about the slides for the other OSes until I scare up another SD card.
The slide images are browsable directly on a NOOBS SD-card, you don't have to do a full installation just to view them ;-)
See e.g. the os/Raspbian/slides_vga/ directory.

Ah! Thanks for the tip! :-D

To continue from before, then...


Arch: Slide B - point 3 is incomplete. "File system tools to create partitions, format, and fix"

Fix what?

Arch: Slide E - Point 1, 3rd line. Capitalization error. "Raspberry PI" should be "Raspberry Pi"


Pidora: Slide B - Repetitious use of "innovation" in points 3 & 4. Drop it from point 3, or remove point 4; with first option reccommended.



RaspBMC: Inconsistent use of periods at the end of the bullet points from slide to slide, and mixed use on slides B & D.


I also noticed that Arch also uses a different color background for the slides, but that it wasn't as noticeable as the black used for RaspBMC, so that suggests it as a non-issue that only accidentally seemed to be a guideline.


Please note, I didn't check commands or hyperlinks from the slides to verify their correctness.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

pittdj
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:29 am

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:20 am

NOOBS v1.3 beta works well here, I like what it does.

Just one little snag, the version of RISC OS offered is rather out of date and does very quickly show a redraw bug where trails of icons, and other debris, are left behind on the backdrop during drags. This is fixed in the current Raspberry Pi version of RISC OS, rc11, as available from the Raw Images section of the Raspberry Pi downloads page.

I have manually updated my RISC OS installation and that is fine.

Thanks for the good work.

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:20 am

beta-tester wrote:what i am looking for, it would be nice to have a list of available images and a list of chosen images/partitions (where you can add/remove/reorder/rename/edit each of the chosen image you want and so have the possibility to add an image more then one time).
The trouble with that is that it would involve making the NOOBS UI much more complex, and as the name suggests it's aimed at noobs, so keeping the UI as simple (and reliable) as possible is one of the main aims.

NOOBS is Open Source though, so other people are free to fork it and add whatever crazy ideas they want ;) But hand-editing the flavours.json is probably easier for most people...

sprinkmeier
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:48 am
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:30 pm

2 tiny patches based on building git-HEAD of NOOBS on a 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04

QT 4.8.4 wasn't available, but 4.8.5. Unfortunately not at the expected URL so I downloaded it to /dl manually.
I also had a missing header file, found it in qt4-linguist-tools.
Attachments
patches.tar
new version of QT, additional package
(10 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

rdb
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:34 pm

sprinkmeier wrote:2 tiny patches based on building git-HEAD of NOOBS on a 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04

QT 4.8.4 wasn't available, but 4.8.5. Unfortunately not at the expected URL so I downloaded it to /dl manually.
I also had a missing header file, found it in qt4-linguist-tools.
Is this based on Master or Dev branch? I thought these issues had been fixed in Dev.

In future, if you could submit patches via GitHub it would be much easier for us to integrate.

sprinkmeier
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:48 am
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:45 pm

rdb wrote:
sprinkmeier wrote:2 tiny patches based on building git-HEAD of NOOBS on a 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04

QT 4.8.4 wasn't available, but 4.8.5. Unfortunately not at the expected URL so I downloaded it to /dl manually.
I also had a missing header file, found it in qt4-linguist-tools.
Is this based on Master or Dev branch? I thought these issues had been fixed in Dev.

In future, if you could submit patches via GitHub it would be much easier for us to integrate.
master. I'll switch to dev and submit via github (about time I learned how, can't be a noob forever :-)

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:15 am

Regarding the Data Partition - depending on how many other OSes you install it may get created at /dev/mmcblk0p7 or /dev/mmcblk0p9, etc.
However it gets created with a partition label of 'data' so you can use instructions like these to mount it, e.g. use

Code: Select all

mkdir $HOME/data
sudo mount -L data $HOME/data
sudo chown $USER: $HOME/data
to set it up for the first time, and then add the following to the end of /etc/fstab

Code: Select all

LABEL=data     /home/pi/data    ext4   defaults 0 0
and then on each subsequent reboot, the shared Data Partition will be mounted at /home/pi/data automatically. 8-)
Don't forget that if you use NOOBS's Recovery GUI to reinstall your OSes, the Data Partition will be wiped too, so make sure you back it up (e.g. to a USB flash drive) first!

Joe Schmoe
Posts: 4277
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:38 am

Note, BTW. that the current version-of-Raspbian-as-installed-via-the-current-version-of-NOOBS seems to automount ALL of the "other" partitions:

Code: Select all

[email protected] /media/data $ df
Filesystem      1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs            2563104 1612072    820832  67% /
/dev/root         2563104 1612072    820832  67% /
devtmpfs           216108       0    216108   0% /dev
tmpfs               44876     320     44556   1% /run
tmpfs                5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
tmpfs               89740       0     89740   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p10     61302   18492     42810  31% /boot
/dev/mmcblk0p6     130798  102574     28224  79% /media/SYSTEM
/dev/mmcblk0p9    2573184 1774776    667696  73% /media/rootfs
/dev/mmcblk0p5     516040   16792    473036   4% /media/data
/dev/mmcblk0p7    1629760   59876   1487096   4% /media/Storage
/dev/mmcblk0p8     102182   45550     56632  45% /media/BOOT
/dev/mmcblk0p3      31729    8423     21668  28% /media/SETTINGS
[email protected] /media/data $ ls -lsa /dev/root 
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Sep 26 22:25 /dev/root -> mmcblk0p11
[email protected] /media/data $ 
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Joe Schmoe
Posts: 4277
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:47 am

Some other NOOBS-oriented comments/questions:

1) Is the 9/23 version (As seen on the files list in "unzip -v") the current/latest? I installed the "9/23 lite" version for my testing.

2) Pidora is broken (quelle surprise!). I installed it and told it to boot to command line, then logged in and did "startx" - got graphical error box saying that "gnome" wasn't found and the only option was to "log out". Clicked it and got thrown back to command line with error messages about "module not found" "gnome-shell" and "gnome-panel". Tried "yum install gnome-shell gnome-panel", which seemed to work, but still same result from running "startx".

Note: ISTR from my last adventure with Pidora that there is some option/setting that you set somewhere to make it not try to use gnome as the "desktop". Can someone refresh my memory on this point?

3) Is it the case that you should *not* do the usual "expand rootfs" thingie (which both Raspbian and Pidora offer) when installing via NOOBS (with multiple OSes installed) ? As I understand it, each OS is given a certain amount of the SD card to play with and should not/cannot be expanded beyond that space. Correct?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

User avatar
FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4999
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Bristol, U.K.
Contact: Website

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:59 am

Joe Schmoe wrote: ...
3) Is it the case that you should *not* do the usual "expand rootfs" thingie (which both Raspbian and Pidora offer) when installing via NOOBS (with multiple OSes installed) ? As I understand it, each OS is given a certain amount of the SD card to play with and should not/cannot be expanded beyond that space. Correct?
My experience with NOOBS 1.2.1 (and, I presume is also the case with 1.3B, but I didn't check) is that, with Raspbian at least, if, when raspi-config comes up at first boot, you try to "expand rootfs", raspi-config detects that NOOBS has possibly already done so a "complains" and "tells you off". ;) . So, Yes, don't bother to "expand rootfs".
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

User avatar
Robert_M
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 am

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Joe -

Just piping in to say that I had the same experience as Trev with the NOOBS v1.3, 9/23 version of Raspbian.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Joe Schmoe
Posts: 4277
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:41 am

Robert_M wrote:Joe -

Just piping in to say that I had the same experience as Trev with the NOOBS v1.3, 9/23 version of Raspbian.
By "Same experience", I assume you mean "Tried it - got an error message saying it couldn't do it - abided by the instruction".

That's fine. I guess I just think it ought to be made a little more explicit - that is, in the long run (and in a perfect world), both the Raspbian and Pidora "configurators" will be NOOBS-aware, and won't try to get you to try it (if they detect that they are running "under" NOOBS).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

apples723
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:48 am

Does the gold version of noobs support wifi otherwise im sticking with berry boot reason 1 no more ports on my router 2 no ports in my bedroom where my pi is located

User avatar
Robert_M
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 am

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:48 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Robert_M wrote:Joe -

Just piping in to say that I had the same experience as Trev with the NOOBS v1.3, 9/23 version of Raspbian.
By "Same experience", I assume you mean "Tried it - got an error message saying it couldn't do it - abided by the instruction".

That's fine. I guess I just think it ought to be made a little more explicit - that is, in the long run (and in a perfect world), both the Raspbian and Pidora "configurators" will be NOOBS-aware, and won't try to get you to try it (if they detect that they are running "under" NOOBS).

Yes. Sorry if that wasn't clear - I tried it, got the finger-wagging error, and kept going. Raspi-config wouldn't allow another attempt to expand the free space.

Also, yes, it would be a nice thing if the OSes were "NOOBS-aware" so these kinds of dead-end functions don't even show up. My guess is that will be smoothed out in later iterations of the distro.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

apples723
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:35 am

I cant see anything now that install raspbain nothing happens been waiting ten minutes tried two diffrent displays using composite not hdmi

Return to “General discussion”