AndrewdAzotus

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:22 am

rdb wrote:
AndrewdAzotus wrote:It's definitely looking a bit "French-ish" still
That's not a terribly helpful bug report is it? Could you please follow the instructions I gave to help determine the cause?
Sorry. Yes, it is reproducible.

When selecting the US keyboard a lot, but not all, of what I see is in French. When I set up a new locale in Raspi-config it reverts to English. Ctrl-Shift-F1 did nothing other than produce a ~ at the command prompt and /settings/noobs.conf did not exist.

The ext4 512MB partition failed again.

I have just downloaded the latest noobs lite and will try again this morning. If it is still reproducible with the latest version I've just downloaded then I shall create a formal Problem Report on GitHub.

beta-tester

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:43 pm

i grabbed the "lite NOOBS 1.3 Beta (of 2013-09-23)".
i like the idea of an extra data partition very much.
unfortunately i wasn't able to install that partition. the installation fails as soon as i click install (Raspbian, OpenELEC, Data Partition was selected / Lang:US, keyboard:de)
but the installation without that data partition runs smooth.

is it possible to change the boot behavior?
what i am looking for is
1. changing (enlarge or reduce) the time to continue the boot.
2. an option to disable using the last used image as default boot image and preselect the user defined default boot partition instead.
3. NOOBS menu without overscan on HDMI.
4. an option to install the same image twice or more to the same SD card.
(5. an option to install custom or home-brew images)

as i understood previous comments correct, is it not possible to reinstall or change single partitions/images without reinstalling all other images as well - the only choice: "change/reinstall everything or let it like it is". so changing one with let the other images/partitions untouched is not possible - is that correct?
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

JohnWulff

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:15 pm

I bought a 16 Gb SDHC card today to start start beta testing NOOBS 1.3. I started with Raspbian (with which I am reasonably familiar now) and ARCH-Linux. I left the Language as English UK, but changed the keyboard to 'us', because in Australia we use $ instead of £ and hence usually use a standard 104 US keyboard. I had the same effect as "beta-tester" who changed Language:US, keyboard:de - the "select OS to boot" screen was completely blank. The difference to 'beta-tester' is that I did not change the default language (UK) only the keyboard from UK to US. So in fixing this bug, please consider that the keyboard selection is the main culprit (both of us changed that) - language selection may also have that effect, but may not. (Needs to be tested or the code should show it).
Nevertheless this is a great effort and we are doing this to help iron out these problems, which are due to internationalization - notoriously difficult to pin down, if you are used to one environment. (Also nicht meckern beta-tester)

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:37 pm

O.K., now the CDN has synched, I was able to download fully updated versions of "Beta" and "Beta-lite" which, as to be expected, had new sha1sum's. I've now repeated the three tests of "Beta-like" I described in my post of 8:15, last night, again using the 4Gb class 4 SDHC card:

1) Attempted install of Raspbian & Pidora again failed due to the established "Pidora size bug" (which @rdb located last night). But this time I was able to use "shift" to get into recovery mode and thus change the install to that of test 2), Raspbian & Raspxbmc ...
2) ... These installed O.K. and Raspbian picked up the US keyboard settings (but with the warning "Language 'US' not handled currently. ..."
3) Re-formatted and re-wrote "Beta-lite" to the card and just installed Raspbian. This time the NOOBS US keyboard settings etc. were picked up (as in test 2 above) which had not happened before. So it looks as if that problem was "just a glitch" or was due to something that had already been fixed before the update.

Something I had noticed during both sets of tests was that on boot-up/re-boot, detection of the shift key to enable boot into recovery mode did not always work. I suspect it's a timing/USB enumeration issue - the failure seems to occur when either the initial connection of the wireless mini-keyboard was "a bit slow" or, in one case, when I switched to a wired keyboard connected via a 2nd, external, USB hub ("semi-powered" - it's a switching hub used to allow a keyboard and mouse to be shared by my netbook and a Pi).

Meanwhile I hope to perform more tests, this time with "Beta", using a larger (either 8Gb or 16Gb) card, later today.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

AndrewdAzotus

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:58 pm

I've deleted the group indiecity and set up a new user account 'andrew' so that the user 'andrew' and the group 'andrew' match the user account and groups I've set up on my other Pi.

When I log on with andrew I get a message:

/usr/bin/xauth: file /home/andrew/.Xauthority does not exist

I still do not get this message when logging on with pi

being new-ish to Linux, has anyone else found this, I didn't know if this is a beta issue or is it something I've done, or not done?

Amatøren

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Can "New Out Of Box Software" be logged into (connected) by ssh like I do when setting up R.Pi with Raspian (also raspi-config)?

The reason is that I don't have any monitor/display or keyboard connected to my R.Pi and it's down in the basement.

paraguaypi

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:15 pm

AndrewS wrote:
paraguaypi wrote:i got it to work but now it doesn't display any os's for me to chose from. should i try to download it again?
As Rob says, there's currently a problem with their CDN (Content Distribution Network) which means when you try to download NOOBS v1.3 it's completely pot luck (until it's fixed) whether you get the 'new' NOOBS v1.3 download (dated 23rd September) or the 'old' NOOBS v1.3 download (dated 19th September) :(
so should i try to download again? also my internet is pretty slow, would it be possible for them to make a bit torrent download?
ParaguayPi,
Over and Out

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:18 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote:I've deleted the group indiecity and set up a new user account 'andrew' so that the user 'andrew' and the group 'andrew' match the user account and groups I've set up on my other Pi.

being new-ish to Linux, has anyone else found this, I didn't know if this is a beta issue or is it something I've done, or not done?
I doubt that this a NOOBS issue (Beta or otherwise) but "just a Linux 'thing'". Try just copying Pi's ".Xauthority" into /home/andrew/ . IIRC, there are other posts on the forum about similar issues with a "new user's default setup" - I recall something about a "skeleton" directory/file set that can be automatically copied over when the new user's home directory is created. I haven't used that method myself, and usually just copy over any "missing" files.

Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

AndrewdAzotus

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:35 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
AndrewdAzotus wrote:I've deleted the group indiecity and set up a new user account 'andrew' so that the user 'andrew' and the group 'andrew' match the user account and groups I've set up on my other Pi.

I doubt that this a NOOBS issue (Beta or otherwise) but "just a Linux 'thing'". Try just copying Pi's ".Xauthority" into /home/andrew/ . IIRC, there are other posts on the forum about similar issues with a "new user's default setup" - I recall something about a "skeleton" directory/file set that can be automatically copied over when the new user's home directory is created. I haven't used that method myself, and usually just copy over any "missing" files.

Trev.
I've copied .Xauthority into /etc/skel for future user creations - and will create another user shortly just to tes - , however when I checked in andrew's home, .Xauthority was there and logging on again didn't produce the message, so it would seem that it is auto-created.

I have two other Pi, one is a web server with only apache2 and php5 installed (well, added by me) and I've never used a desktop on this machine and .Xauthority does not exist.

The other I use as a general purpose machine where I have used a desktop, via Xming, and it does have the file, but I do not recall seeing this message on either of them. They both have the user/group andrew and they are both running from a distro of Pi that I first downloaded in Feb/Mar 2013 and both have nearly 300 packages that need upgrading!

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:50 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote: ...

Trev.
I've copied .Xauthority into /etc/skel for future user creations - and will create another user shortly just to tes - , however when I checked in andrew's home, .Xauthority was there and logging on again didn't produce the message, so it would seem that it is auto-created.

I have two other Pi, one is a web server with only apache2 and php5 installed (well, added by me) and I've never used a desktop on this machine and .Xauthority does not exist.

The other I use as a general purpose machine where I have used a desktop, via Xming, and it does have the file, but I do not recall seeing this message on either of them. They both have the user/group andrew and they are both running from a distro of Pi that I first downloaded in Feb/Mar 2013 and both have nearly 300 packages that need upgrading!
I had a feeling that .Xauthority ought to be (have been) "auto-created" at some point. However that is still a "Linux/Raspbian issue" not a NOOBS one, since NOOBS is, essentially, an "intelligent" installer, not the O.S. itself. Re-reading the above: "I've never used a desktop on this machine and .Xauthority does not exist" suggests that "startx" probably initialises .Xauthority the first time it's invoked. Given that your "two other Pi's" have not been "upgraded" (or updated), I would expect some differences. (I only occasionally update/upgrade my first, B1, Pi on which I run the MoinMoin wiki to create and export my "Pi-related" webpages, too). But we're getting O.T. here.

Trev.

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:48 pm

AndrewS wrote: As Rob says, there's currently a problem with their CDN (Content Distribution Network)
There isn't a problem as such, it just takes a while to sync to all of the CDN end-nodes.

I'm running another sync now so in <6 hours the following should be fixed:
- Pidora size estimate issue
- Data Partition meta file download failure

Confirmation of these fixes is appreciated.

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:54 pm

beta-tester wrote:i grabbed the "lite NOOBS 1.3 Beta (of 2013-09-23)".
i like the idea of an extra data partition very much.
unfortunately i wasn't able to install that partition. the installation fails as soon as i click install (Raspbian, OpenELEC, Data Partition was selected / Lang:US, keyboard:de)
but the installation without that data partition runs smooth.
Should now be fixed when the CDN has finished syncing.
beta-tester wrote: is it possible to change the boot behavior?
what i am looking for is
What is the usage case where this is necessary? It is not user configurable unless you build NOOBS yourself from source.
beta-tester wrote: 2. an option to disable using the last used image as default boot image and preselect the user defined default boot partition instead.
Please read the documentation - see https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/tr ... -partition
beta-tester wrote: 3. NOOBS menu without overscan on HDMI.
NOOBS handles overscan automatically. Does this not appear correctly on your display?
beta-tester wrote: 4. an option to install the same image twice or more to the same SD card.
(5. an option to install custom or home-brew images)
Again, please read the documentation - see https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/tr ... os-version.
beta-tester wrote: as i understood previous comments correct, is it not possible to reinstall or change single partitions/images without reinstalling all other images as well - the only choice: "change/reinstall everything or let it like it is". so changing one with let the other images/partitions untouched is not possible - is that correct?
Correct. That would be a future feature. Please submit to GitHub if desired.

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:57 pm

JohnWulff wrote:I bought a 16 Gb SDHC card today to start start beta testing NOOBS 1.3. I started with Raspbian (with which I am reasonably familiar now) and ARCH-Linux. I left the Language as English UK, but changed the keyboard to 'us', because in Australia we use $ instead of £ and hence usually use a standard 104 US keyboard. I had the same effect as "beta-tester" who changed Language:US, keyboard:de - the "select OS to boot" screen was completely blank. The difference to 'beta-tester' is that I did not change the default language (UK) only the keyboard from UK to US. So in fixing this bug, please consider that the keyboard selection is the main culprit (both of us changed that) - language selection may also have that effect, but may not. (Needs to be tested or the code should show it).
Nevertheless this is a great effort and we are doing this to help iron out these problems, which are due to internationalization - notoriously difficult to pin down, if you are used to one environment. (Also nicht meckern beta-tester)
Please re-download NOOBS and re-try - this should be fixed in the latest uploaded version.

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:59 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote: Something I had noticed during both sets of tests was that on boot-up/re-boot, detection of the shift key to enable boot into recovery mode did not always work. I suspect it's a timing/USB enumeration issue - the failure seems to occur when either the initial connection of the wireless mini-keyboard was "a bit slow" or, in one case, when I switched to a wired keyboard connected via a 2nd, external, USB hub ("semi-powered" - it's a switching hub used to allow a keyboard and mouse to be shared by my netbook and a Pi).
Good news that the latest uploaded version seems to fix all previously reported bugs.

With regards to the keyboard key press detection - are you pressing SHIFT when the splashscreen is displayed only or holding down from boot?

It should work reliably if the SHIFT key is only pressed once the grey splashscreen is displayed. Please let me know if this is not the case. There is a bug for this here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/issues/100

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:00 pm

This isn't relevant to NOOBS - please create a separate thread for this.

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Amatøren wrote:Can "New Out Of Box Software" be logged into (connected) by ssh like I do when setting up R.Pi with Raspian (also raspi-config)?
No. However this should provide the functionality that you require: https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/tr ... tall-an-os

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:02 pm

AndrewdAzotus wrote:
rdb wrote:
AndrewdAzotus wrote:It's definitely looking a bit "French-ish" still
That's not a terribly helpful bug report is it? Could you please follow the instructions I gave to help determine the cause?
Sorry. Yes, it is reproducible.

When selecting the US keyboard a lot, but not all, of what I see is in French. When I set up a new locale in Raspi-config it reverts to English. Ctrl-Shift-F1 did nothing other than produce a ~ at the command prompt and /settings/noobs.conf did not exist.

The ext4 512MB partition failed again.

I have just downloaded the latest noobs lite and will try again this morning. If it is still reproducible with the latest version I've just downloaded then I shall create a formal Problem Report on GitHub.
@rdb and @AndrewdAzotus:

Just begun testing updated "Beta" (as opposed to "Beta-lite") and installed Raspbian, RiscOS & Pidora on a 16Gb Class 4 card.
Kept language as "GB English" but selected US keyboard. This seems to be a trigger of Andrew's "French-ish" bug. When Raspbian booted initially "en_GB.UTF...." is mentioned but a couple of log-lines later "FR.UTF-8..." appears. On running raspi-config to change the password etc. the comand-line prompts for the password change are in French! I was able to reset/add "en_GB.UTF..." using the (French) raspi-config "language select" menu (not that I really read the French, it being more than 40 years since my 'O' levels :) - I just know raspi-config "pretty well"). Is there any useful info. I can extract from logfiles etc.?

Trev.

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:08 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
@rdb and @AndrewdAzotus:

Just begun testing updated "Beta" (as opposed to "Beta-lite") and installed Raspbian, RiscOS & Pidora on a 16Gb Class 4 card.
Kept language as "GB English" but selected US keyboard. This seems to be a trigger of Andrew's "French-ish" bug. When Raspbian booted initially "en_GB.UTF...." is mentioned but a couple of log-lines later "FR.UTF-8..." appears. On running raspi-config to change the password etc. the comand-line prompts for the password change are in French! I was able to reset/add "en_GB.UTF..." using the (French) raspi-config "language select" menu (not that I really read the French, it being more than 40 years since my 'O' levels :) - I just know raspi-config "pretty well"). Is there any useful info. I can extract from logfiles etc.?

Trev.
Ah, okay. So perhaps there is a genuine bug here. I'm trying to replicate this on my setup at Pi Towers as we speak (or rather type).

Can you check the settings that have been passed to Raspbian by looking at the `os_config.json` file in the boot partition of the Raspbian install? It looks as it Raspbian may be handling the language codes incorrectly.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:14 pm

rdb wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote: Something I had noticed during both sets of tests was that on boot-up/re-boot, detection of the shift key to enable boot into recovery mode did not always work. I suspect it's a timing/USB enumeration issue - the failure seems to occur when either the initial connection of the wireless mini-keyboard was "a bit slow" or, in one case, when I switched to a wired keyboard connected via a 2nd, external, USB hub ("semi-powered" - it's a switching hub used to allow a keyboard and mouse to be shared by my netbook and a Pi).
Good news that the latest uploaded version seems to fix all previously reported bugs.

With regards to the keyboard key press detection - are you pressing SHIFT when the splashscreen is displayed only or holding down from boot?

It should work reliably if the SHIFT key is only pressed once the grey splashscreen is displayed. Please let me know if this is not the case. There is a bug for this here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/issues/100
W.r.t. "SHIFT & the splashscreen: it's difficult for me to tell at the moment since the monitor I'm using is shared between my netbook (on VGA mode) and the Pi (on DVI mode). By the time I switched it from VGA to DVI (a couple of button presses) and ensured the wireless keypad has connected I don't usually see a grey splashscreen. I have a DTV with HDMI input I can try again on later and let you know the outcome.
Trev.

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:16 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
rdb wrote:

W.r.t. "SHIFT & the splashscreen: it's difficult for me to tell at the moment since the monitor I'm using is shared between my netbook (on VGA mode) and the Pi (on DVI mode). By the time I switched it from VGA to DVI (a couple of button presses) and ensured the wireless keypad has connected I don't usually see a grey splashscreen. I have a DTV with HDMI input I can try again on later and let you know the outcome.
Trev.
If you can't see the splashscreen try repeatedly toggling the shift key at high speed from bootup. That may work more reliably.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:22 pm

rdb wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote:
@rdb and @AndrewdAzotus:

Trev.
Ah, okay. So perhaps there is a genuine bug here. I'm trying to replicate this on my setup at Pi Towers as we speak (or rather type).

Can you check the settings that have been passed to Raspbian by looking at the `os_config.json` file in the boot partition of the Raspbian install? It looks as it Raspbian may be handling the language codes incorrectly.
Here's os_config.json:

Code: Select all

{
 "description" : "A Debian wheezy port, optimised for the Raspberry Pi",
 "flavour" : "Raspbian",
 "imagefolder" : "/mnt/os/Raspbian",
 "keyboard" : "us",
 "language" : "en",
 "partitions" : [
"/dev/mmcblk0p9",
"/dev/mmcblk0p10"
 ],
 "release_date" : "2013-09-10",
 "videomode" : 0
}
Trev.

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:25 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
rdb wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote:
@rdb and @AndrewdAzotus:

Trev.

Here's os_config.json:

Code: Select all

{
 "description" : "A Debian wheezy port, optimised for the Raspberry Pi",
 "flavour" : "Raspbian",
 "imagefolder" : "/mnt/os/Raspbian",
 "keyboard" : "us",
 "language" : "en",
 "partitions" : [
"/dev/mmcblk0p9",
"/dev/mmcblk0p10"
 ],
 "release_date" : "2013-09-10",
 "videomode" : 0
}
Trev.
Thanks Trev. Looks like it's passing Raspbian the correct details and Raspbian is for some reason interpreting them as indicating that the user is actually French.

Trying to replicate here.

rdb

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm

The good news is that it looks like the Data Partition now works as expected.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks for the report regarding Raspbian picking up language settings - it's my bad, I made the mistake of coding and testing after my brain had shutdown for the evening so a hardcoded language selection was left in.

beta-tester

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 pm

rdb wrote:
beta-tester wrote:is it possible to change the boot behavior?
what i am looking for is
What is the usage case where this is necessary? It is not user configurable unless you build NOOBS yourself from source.
i usually used my RPi as mediaplayer (OpenELEC). the RPi and my NAS (that contains all my media) are connected to the same powerplug. when i switch on the power, the NAS takes ~120seconds to fully boot up and expose its share. the RPi is much faster. when OpenELEC does not can mount the NAS at its boot time, i have no access to my media on my NAS. on "BerryBoot" (what i currently use and want to replace by NOOBS) i enlarged the time of the boot menu up to 120 seconds to be sure my NAS is fully booted up to be able to mount, when OpenELEC boots up.
that is the only reason, for what i want to change the boot delay time.
rdb wrote:
beta-tester wrote:3. NOOBS menu without overscan on HDMI.
NOOBS handles overscan automatically. Does this not appear correctly on your display?
i always see a big black border (overscan) around the NOOBS GUI.
i have a HDMI [email protected], 50 or 24 TV. OpenELEC does not have a border by default, on Raspbian, i can turn off the overscan, but NOOBS not.
i love the web browser of NOOBS - i use it to quick browse something in the internet, without need to boot into Raspbian (and it is way quicker than any browser i used unter Rasbian start-X GUI) ;)
just turn on RPi and surf in under 5 seconds and i want to see it on full screen without black borders. :D
(oh yeah, is it possible to change the default (help)webaddress?) :P
rdb wrote:
beta-tester wrote:as i understood previous comments correct, is it not possible to reinstall or change single partitions/images without reinstalling all other images as well - the only choice: "change/reinstall everything or let it like it is". so changing one with let the other images/partitions untouched is not possible - is that correct?
Correct. That would be a future feature. Please submit to GitHub if desired.
only when i post a request to GitHub, it has a chance to be implemented? i have already so many accounts & passwords in so many forums/websites... i don't like to create an other new one, only to post a request or bug... sorry.

oh, and thank you for the other answers and links.
Last edited by beta-tester on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

Return to “General discussion”