bill

Re: Straw poll for new forums - gravatar, yea or nay?

Tue May 08, 2012 5:23 pm

I'd prefer direct.

fulburncams

Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 pm

I prefer to upload direct please.

Cheers

Steve

thexman

Tue May 08, 2012 6:52 pm

yay to direct upload.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

Ibanezjem

Tue May 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Not Gravatar, won't let me log in once details registered.

Direct worked on the previous beta test.

Set the size limitations and we'll have to adjust accordingly to that.

twelvtysix plus threeteen = 666

SN

Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 pm

direct upload or link to external URL

no forced gravatar
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Gert van Loo

Tue May 08, 2012 9:36 pm

I prefer direct upload too.I assume it's faster as well.

Robert_M

Tue May 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Losing Gravitar wouldn't hurt my feelings. Additionally, if losing Gravitar improves curry access, that would be a bonus.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Well, this all seems gloriously unequivocal. Direct uploads it is - thanks, guys.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

bonelifer
Location: http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberli ... e&u=147848

Tue May 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Not only do I say direct upload. But please don't allow animated avatars. They are so annoying.

obarthelemy

Wed May 09, 2012 12:37 am

I really, really don't care about avatars, and find that most of them are distracting to intrusive and project an image about their owners that's probably far from what was intended, (nastiness edited out ^^). Especially when it's the same avatar for 10s or 100s of posts. Include a link to some really interesting stuff about or, better, from, you if you need to, an avatar isn't it.

I'd vote C- None of the above: no avatars. At least make it so that we can disable them. And sigs, too.

More importantly, I'd like a forum that fills a whole screen, not one third of it. And a "read new posts" function that actually works. I've also given up on reading my forum mails, the interface is horrid.

redman684

Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 am

I find it annoying to have to wait for the gavatar server (or add-network server, or user-tracking server) to finally respond (especially on mobile browsers where the browser may respond differently while loading a page) and even more annoying when there is an onload-event moving the focus or scolling the page. Sites which move the focus to the username field onload, probably do it with all the best intentions, but it sucks bigtime as in most cases I've already moved on to the next field when the slowest server finaly responds.

And I'm not a fan of third parties tracking me, especially when they are in an other country (= other laws).

Why not query gravatar (and other services alike) upon account creation to copy their image and let the users upload a new image when desired. This might result in users directly having a custom image and will at least give everybody a unique (although random patern) default image.

50% of the users all having the same default image, contradicts the whole purpose of the icons: recognizing the user.

Side note: Gravatar doesn't work for me personally, as I provide everyone requesting my emailaddress with a unique address on my domain, and gravatar can't handle that situation, I would need to register each email address seperately.

Burngate

Wed May 09, 2012 10:24 am

Late in the game as usual,  what are the advantages of Gravatar? I can't see any, but seeing as the question was asked, someone must think there are!

redman684

Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Gravatar is a very quick way to add profile images, especially in situations where users don't need to sign up (e.g. in de comments section at the bottom of a page).

Advantages of gravatar form the admin's point of view would be that there is no need for photo-manipulation (cropping, scaling, etc.) and no need for adding file upload, as gravatar provides these. There's less to set up/maintain. Although you'll probably want these functions for pictures in forum posts, as you can't expect all users to be photoshop experts.

It only requires a single line of code to add a gravatar.

And gravatar can always serve a unique image for a user (although you can configure it to use a default image, which imho is something you don't want)

From the users point of view:

A users might already have an image uploaded at gravatar, so they don't have to upload it again for this forum. Not everybody takes the time/effort to upload an image on every forum they visit.

I dont know the image editing features of phpBB (if any), but I doubt they are anywhere near those of gravatar.

gordon@drogon.net

Wed May 09, 2012 9:52 pm

I use gravatar, but I'd be ok not to, but why not just make it optional, so people can use it or not?
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

scep

Wed May 09, 2012 10:03 pm

bonelifer said:

Not only do I say direct upload. But please don't allow animated avatars. They are so annoying.

This is one of the reasons I use Firefox (about:config / image.animation_mode: none)

(Funny how <blink> and <marquee> etc have been deprecated since the 90s but the egregious animated gifs are still seemingly OK. Weird )

SN

Wed May 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Don't be a spoilsport!

I lurrrvvvvve animated avatars
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 10, 2012 7:23 am

Direct, for the simple reason that gravatar doesn't work (for me, I tried, no go).

piglet

Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 am

bonelifer said:

I totally agree with you. Thankfully there are plugins to prevent animations on GIFs if this isn't done.

AlexPT

Thu May 10, 2012 8:34 am

Upload directly or use a link

tufty

Thu May 10, 2012 3:35 pm

@obarthelemy - I find adblock particularly useful for "removing" stuff like avatars, smilies, post count "awards", online status icons and the like. Phpbb3 allows you to *not* see smilies as little irritating graphics, and to *not* post them. Not sure it allows you to block .sigs, but adblock can do that for you.

I"d like to add a request for text only sigs.

Simon

scep

Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 pm

@tufty. Agreed: AdBlock and FlashBlock (and a couple of other cackfilters) are the only reason I can still use the Web in 2012 without going on a beserker rampage several times a day. And yes, text only sigs are a must!

SN

Thu May 10, 2012 10:24 pm

I can see why people would not want images not in sigs and I agree UNLESS there is a way to allow very wide-but-short sigs – say 500px wide by 64px high – these are not too obtrusive and avoids a 'blandsville' look to the forum – that notwithstanding, I wouldn't have anything which INCREASES the white space around the content (I've had a gripe on the phpbb3 copy about that but I'm not sure whether anyone is listening…. )

Hmmm... I just noticed my avatar is coming off gravatar.com .... I'm sure that's not how I had it originally set up... (confused)

Return to “General discussion”