rickwookie

Need to buy 100 units now to get old price?!

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi

When I bought my first Model A (7 months ago), it cost me £16.11 + VAT (in the UK) from RS. Now I go to get another one and I see that the price for a single unit is now £20 + VAT. That's an increase of over 24%.

If I want a Model A now at close to the previous price, I need to buy 100 units! What's with that?

R.

mikerr

Re: Need to buy 100 units now to get old price?!

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Still same price at http://cpc.farnell.com/ - £16.03 + VAT (for 1)
£19.24 inc

Or the current bargain is this one saving around a tenner:

Model A and the Pi Camera bundle for £26.14 ex vat
£31.37 inc VAT !!

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/besp ... &CMP=NLem3

free delivery too - I can't stop buying Pi

pluggy

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:49 pm

rickwookie wrote:What's with that?

R.
Ask RS, nobody here can answer that.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Narf03

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:13 pm

If there are any discount for bulk purchase please let me know too =P

JoeDaStudd

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:29 am

With CPC you can use cashback sites like TCB which will help reduce the cost (~85p cashback per unit). If your willing to hold stock, go down the cashback route and sell on items the Model A + Camera module deal is hard to beat.
The combo costs £31.37, of which you can get £1.32 cashback per item.
The camera module sells for £20+ on ebay, so if you said after postage and fees you get £17 per module.
That means each Model A costs only £13.05 over 100 units its about £700 saving over the RRP of £20.05.
Of course the £700 saving does come at the cost of your time packing and posting the camera modules.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:17 am

rickwookie wrote:Hi

When I bought my first Model A (7 months ago), it cost me £16.11 + VAT (in the UK) from RS. Now I go to get another one and I see that the price for a single unit is now £20 + VAT. That's an increase of over 24%.

If I want a Model A now at close to the previous price, I need to buy 100 units! What's with that?

R.
As well as the above, the exchange rate may well have changed considerably since your first purchase.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

rickwookie

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:23 pm

jamesh wrote:
rickwookie wrote:Hi

R.
As well as the above, the exchange rate may well have changed considerably since your first purchase.
It has changed a bit, that is the pound is now slightly stronger against the dollar (1.6 now compared to about 1.5 then), so if anything, the price should have gone down, not up. That's assuming the price is supposed to be fixed at US$25, even though the Model A's are made in the UK and sold by RS in the UK to me in the UK.

Regarding
pluggy wrote:
rickwookie wrote:What's with that?

R.
Ask RS, nobody here can answer that.
I would have thought that both RS and Farnell were under some sort of contract with the RPF to not just charge whatever they like. No?

AndrewS

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:50 pm

rickwookie wrote:I would have thought that both RS and Farnell were under some sort of contract with the RPF to not just charge whatever they like. No?
Don't be surprised if that's commercially-sensitive information, that nobody's allowed to tell us :|

jamesh

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:12 pm

Actually, they have to charge $25 or $35, but P&P, exchange rates (from when RS or Farnell bought the boards) etc will make that price jump around a little.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

rickwookie

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:24 am

jamesh wrote:Actually, they have to charge $25 or $35, but P&P, exchange rates (from when RS or Farnell bought the boards) etc will make that price jump around a little.
So we're missing my original point then, as this is not about price fluctuation. The UK RS one off price (excluding VAT and delivery) is approx $32. To get units for close to $25 you need to buy 100 units.
If the have to charge $25 for a Model A, did nobody stipulate that this must apply to single units?

jamesh

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:46 am

rickwookie wrote:
jamesh wrote:Actually, they have to charge $25 or $35, but P&P, exchange rates (from when RS or Farnell bought the boards) etc will make that price jump around a little.
So we're missing my original point then, as this is not about price fluctuation. The UK RS one off price (excluding VAT and delivery) is approx $32. To get units for close to $25 you need to buy 100 units.
If the have to charge $25 for a Model A, did nobody stipulate that this must apply to single units?
Are you talking about the Model A then? Current RS prices are : Model B £26 ex vat, model A £20 ex vat. That seems pretty close to the official price point to me, given that price include delivery.

Cancelor

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:17 am

Why buy a model A when you can get a model B for less?

Ebay is your friend. Got my brand new model B plus pre loaded 8GB Memory Card for £17 and that included postage.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

RaTTuS

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:35 am

from farnell
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:30 am

Cancelor wrote:Why buy a model A when you can get a model B for less?

Ebay is your friend. Got my brand new model B plus pre loaded 8GB Memory Card for £17 and that included postage.
I doubt there will be many of those, given it appears to be selling (as a guess) at close to cost.

mikerr

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:38 am

Cancelor wrote:Ebay is your friend. Got my brand new model B plus pre loaded 8GB Memory Card for £17 and that included postage.
sounds like a lucky one-off auction ? Or maybe sold as faulty when it was just a SD card problem ?

SirLagz

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:47 am

Cancelor wrote:Why buy a model A when you can get a model B for less?

You have to be careful on eBay.
Someone on the forums got ripped off - bought a 512MB Model B, received a 256MB Model B
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

LemmeFatale

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:52 am

Not to mention all the fake-capacity SD Cards that flood the place... :evil:
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

fuffkin

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 am

It's an interesting devleopment that both RS & Farnell offer now volume discounts. I was under the, presumably misguided, impression that they sold the boards at cost and made the margin up on the accessories. This was further supported by the fact that most of the Cashback sites excluded the Raspberry Pi from the discount - you could get a discount on everything else on your order.

Maybe they're sneaking a lilttle bit (or more) of margin in there.
Sleepy Pi - Extend RPi battery life with a plugin Power Management & Arduino I/O board
http://www.spellfoundry.com

RaTTuS

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 am

they have a price point they have to meet with the foundation - it's not saying that they can get in for even less ....
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Cancelor

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:09 am

fuffkin wrote:It's an interesting devleopment that both RS & Farnell offer now volume discounts. I was under the, presumably misguided, impression that they sold the boards at cost and made the margin up on the accessories. This was further supported by the fact that most of the Cashback sites excluded the Raspberry Pi from the discount - you could get a discount on everything else on your order.

Maybe they're sneaking a lilttle bit (or more) of margin in there.
It depends what you mean by 'selling at cost' ... to me this is not the same as selling for what you bought them at. The act of selling, unpacking boxes of 100 to sell as 1, picking from the store, admin etc are all costs. To sell at cost means adding all these costs together.

Having said all of that, I am still not privy to any agreement the foundation may or may not have made.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:14 am

RS and Farnell have always had a margin on the devices. Not much point is spending all that money if you don't. That margin is prety small though. Over time the manufacturing cost of the Pi has presumably got a bit cheaper (remember RS and Farnell do the manufacturing, the Foundation takes a licence fee per board), so their margin may have increased. I've no idea what it is though.

The small margin is the reason they don't get included in deals.

rickwookie

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:24 pm

jamesh wrote:
rickwookie wrote:
Are you talking about the Model A then? Current RS prices are : Model B £26 ex vat, model A £20 ex vat. That seems pretty close to the official price point to me, given that price include delivery.
Right so THAT'S what's changed! RS price last time did not include delivery. However, as an RS account holder I always got free delivery (when spending more than £20 i.e. buying more than just a Model A) or I just collect from their local trade counter when I'm passing.

On the main page on RS when you look for Raspberry Pi I'm sure it asks you if you're a home or business user... If you're a business user, then the price really shouldn't include delivery IMHO.

kalehrl

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm not rs components account holder and when I ordered raspi camera, I got free delivery to my country.
I was pleasantly surprised because when I ordered raspi board, I was charged around 6 euros for delivery.

Return to “General discussion”