liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Stellarium

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:07 pm

A quick FYI - jamesh has just popped up in the comments under the Quake 3 post, where some people were discussing what other software they'd like to see running. Although we're not really taking requests, he's said (out of the goodness of his *sickeningly*-good-already heart) that he might have a look at getting Stellarium running on the Raspi when he's done with the bug fixes and other bits he's working on at the moment.

James - that's brilliant, and it'd be fantastic if you've got the time; Stellarium was a secret "I want a pony" of mine, too. I'll have to send some cakes or something into the office when Eben's back as a thank you.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Michael

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:29 pm

+1

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:31 pm

we have nightsky (http://nightsky.sourceforge.net/) built that in theory should work and i've now rebuilt a lot of my little apps (not the gpio twiddiling ones because of differences between pxa and arm11), busybox and dropbear (static) that in theory should work on the r-pi. so it looks like s/w won't be a problem

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Ahhh shucks.

I like Stellarium, a very impressive and polished bit of software for 'free'. And the thought of plugging a Raspi in to my goto telescope also appeals....

All this interesting stuff to do, and that work thing does KEEP getting in the way. And having to go on family weekends away. What's that all about????

(Hope other half isn't reading this)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Svartalf

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Quote from jamesh on August 29, 2011, 20:22
(Hope other half isn't reading this)

Heh... You just doomed yourself with that aside... ;)

jasonl

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 am

Hi, I have a Sheevaplug set up with Debian Squeeze on it and just tried an "apt-get install stellarium". It worked, and the program works sort of. I have to run it over the network with X forwarded via SSH - so the FPS is around 0.02s - not so good.
The Sheeva doesn't have an Floating Point hardware, nor graphics acceleration, but it does have a slightly faster processor and more RAM. The Sheevaplug runs the armel variant of Debian - I don't know if this would be compatible with the R-Pi.
Just a data point! :-)

jamesh

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks Jason. Armel should be OK - I'll give it a go on the prototype today if I have time (I do have a day job).

Edit : It appears Stellarium uses OpenGL, so we should get acceleration. Fingers crossed.

James
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

reggie

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:41 am

It was me that asked if someone could take a look at stellarium on the raspi, I'm incredibly grateful, Jamesh that you're taking the time to compile it, many thanks :)

Not so much an 'I want a pony' request, as you guys aren't selling ponies yet, quake3 didn't really tell me much about what the unit could do for one of the many applications that I would like to put the r-pi to use for.

liz

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:51 am

I apologise for tarring you with the pony brush, reggie! Q3 is actually quite useful to demonstrate to everyone how the box copes with realtime 3d rendering - but we'll be excited to see Stellarium on it too.

jamesh

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:00 am

Quote from reggie on August 30, 2011, 11:41
It was me that asked if someone could take a look at stellarium on the raspi, I'm incredibly grateful, Jamesh that you're taking the time to compile it, many thanks :)

Not so much an 'I want a pony' request, as you guys aren't selling ponies yet, quake3 didn't really tell me much about what the unit could do for one of the many applications that I would like to put the r-pi to use for.

Actually, according to JasonL post above, it should be in the Debian repos already compiled for Arm, so just a matter of trying it out, and seeing if the OpenGL acceleration works ok. And if not why not.

reggie

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:26 am

No worries Liz, I know you guys have had a lot of mad requests and design changes over the weekend that just aren't going to happen, so I fully understand your frustration. Once again, many thanks to you all for even considering it :)

jamesh

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:06 pm

OK, have got it running, but seems much slower than I would expect. Don't think it is using any HW acceleration - the CPU is running full tilt. trying to find out more information on the acceleration libraries to ensure they are being used. Will try to post a picture when I get one worth posting!

Svartalf

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Quote from jamesh on August 30, 2011, 14:06
OK, have got it running, but seems much slower than I would expect. Don't think it is using any HW acceleration - the CPU is running full tilt. trying to find out more information on the acceleration libraries to ensure they are being used. Will try to post a picture when I get one worth posting!

The odds are good that it's found Mesa3D (since it was written for OpenGL instead of ES...) and it's doing software rendering- unless, of course, the GPU blobs provide the OpenGL 1.5/2.X state tracker as well as the ES 2.X one... ;)

reggie

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:40 pm

James, what resolution are you running it at? I'm guessing at 1080p it will be spanking the processor if it's running under software. Idling on my PC, it sits there doing something like 16fps, when I'm scrolling around with the arrow keys I get 60fps (that's all I need, even less would probably be well usable).

jamesh

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Quote from Svartalf on August 30, 2011, 14:14
Quote from jamesh on August 30, 2011, 14:06

The odds are good that it's found Mesa3D (since it was written for OpenGL instead of ES...) and it's doing software rendering- unless, of course, the GPU blobs provide the OpenGL 1.5/2.X state tracker as well as the ES 2.X one... ;)

Yes, I think that's what's happening. I need to see how the Quake dude got it running (that uses GL)...

Screenshot:

jasonl

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Wow - it looks promising. Just had a look at the Stellarium FAQ page and it says they have had success with older PCs including Pentium III 800Mhz, 128MB RAM on XP, AMD K6 400 Mhz, 256MB RAM, Mac PPC's back to about 667MHz - "graphics card capable of rendering OpenGL. A Riva TNT2, released in 1999 or 2000, should do." There's a warning that this info may relate to an older version - so it may be worth trying one of those. It's certainly a good program to have as part of an educational pack.

Svartalf

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Quote from jamesh on August 30, 2011, 14:48
Yes, I think that's what's happening. I need to see how the Quake dude got it running (that uses GL)...

It might be the ES re-worked ioquake3 that's running Q3:A there- or it's one of a couple of thin GL shims to provide a few missing parts and make it look like the game's using GL instead of GLES. Both paths were taken on the BeagleBoard, with the ES reworks becoming much more prevalent as people figured out how minimal the differences really were for what they were doing.

jamesh

Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Haven't yet found out who did the Quake demo, (work got in the way), so will hopefully get some information tomorrow.

liz

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:12 pm

It was Rob B and Dave E. :)

jamesh

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:15 am

Had a quick google and it appears there is a compile switch for OpenGL ES for Stellarium. I'll try and compile it sometime (when there is time!)

James

ericskiff

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:23 am

I'm working on a project which combines Stellarium, the Raspberry Pi, a laser pico projector, and a fisheye lens to create a portable night sky visualization.

So far all the pieces are coming together and I've got it working nicely with static images, but I'd love to have the beautiful, sky-matched stars of stellarium in the final project. It seems that just compiling with the OpenGL ES switch might do the trick, as the wheezy/arm version of Stellarium tries to run but errors out looking for OpenGL.

I'll report back if I make any progress, and would love to hear if anyone has this working!

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:22 am

...only seeing this last post did I realise that the thread is a year old!
It would be good to see stellarium working.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

ericskiff

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:09 am

I've been working on this, and would love some advice debugging the compilation issues I'm hitting.

As far as I can tell, I have all the dependencies and everything starts building beautifully, until I get to about 36%. Then I get the errors:

Code: Select all

[ 36%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/stellarium.dir/core/StelSkyDrawer.cpp.o
In file included from /usr/include/GL/gl.h:2085:0,
                 from /usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL/qgl.h:88,
                 from /usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL/qglshaderprogram.h:45,
                 from /usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL/QGLShaderProgram:1,
                 from /home/pi/stellarium-0.11.3/src/core/StelSkyDrawer.cpp:31:
/usr/include/GL/glext.h:5327:19: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef ptrdiff_t GLintptr’
/usr/include/GLES2/gl2.h:38:26: error: ‘GLintptr’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef khronos_intptr_t GLintptr’
/usr/include/GL/glext.h:5328:19: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef ptrdiff_t GLsizeiptr’
/usr/include/GLES2/gl2.h:39:26: error: ‘GLsizeiptr’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef khronos_ssize_t GLsizeiptr’
If I'm reading things right, it appears that /usr/include/GL/gl.h is getting included when only /usr/include/GLES2/gl2.h should be? There's a compile-time cmake flag "OPENGL_MODE" which I've set to ES2 when running cmake, but there's a comment to the effect that that flag may no longer work.

I've tried a bunch of different hacks, up to trying to remove the included libraries from the generated makefiles, but so far I continue to fail when building that file.

Any hints or pointers to primers on this, or direct help would be hugely appreciated.

The lines in CMakeLists.txt that seem most relevant are:

Code: Select all

# Make sure that no desktop OpenGL libraries are linked when OpenGLES is used
  STRING(REPLACE "-lGL" "-lGLESv2" QT_LIBRARIES "${QT_LIBRARIES}")

reggie

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Perhaps it needs a #ifdef around the includes for glext.h or gl2.h? or something slightly deeper.

ericskiff

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:32 pm

I keep sleuthing around this, and my latest hunch is that the QT included in raspbian is compiled for Arm but not for GLES2. There seem to be a bunch of other projects in debian that hit similar issues at compile time.

I'm attempting to pull in a different pre-built QT that has GLES2 since building QT on the pi would be prohibitively slow, and I haven't figured out cross compiling on my mac yet.

Return to “General discussion”