Lakes

Re: Raspi as a Parts Kit?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Supply the components as a kit of parts, then people can make/ design there own PCB layouts (if they have the skills and tools to do surface mount).

hajj_3

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:07 pm

i'm not sure if that would be legal as component manufacturers may not want people selling a single arm cpu for say £3. Also who has their own surface mount equipment etc?

It would be better if they just released the full circuit diagrams etc and the list of components used, then people can modify the pcb and add extra connections and chips on.

Lakes

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Not the pick n place stuff, but its possible to hand place if you have a steady hand and a have a rework station or hot plate. :)

Lob0426

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Does anyone know if there are socketed or through hole ARM packages?
This would make it possible to design your own board. You would still have to buy the processor with the top (PoP) package installed.
The same question for the LAN95xx packages?
As stated above you are not going to be able to build anything as cheap as the RasPi will be.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Lakes

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:49 pm

I guess if you have a rework station, just buy the ready made modules and use the chips from them?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Parts kits won't be available I am afraid - just not cost effective (it would cost more for the parts than the fully built board I reckon).

And of course, soldering BGA packages is not for the faint hearted and really quite expensive (the little film mask thingies you use to line up the packages are not cheap). I've tried and you need lots of special kit. Just soldering on resisters etc at the sizes used is decidedly unpleasant!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Blars

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Quote from Lob0426 on August 29, 2011, 17:18
Does anyone know if there are socketed or through hole ARM packages?

Not that will run Linux. Dangerousprototypes chose a EOL (end of life) chip for experimenting with (see http://dangerousprototypes.com.....#038;t=935) a potential based on it coming in a package usable on a two layer board, most are BGA and need at least 4 layers.

Return to “General discussion”