och

Re: Invitation to order from RS

Fri May 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Ordered mine - 2833

And also cancelled the pre-order I had with Farnell (ordered as a back-up at the beginning of April when I lost faith in the comms from RS).

Just 7 days to go - off to Japan next week so looking forward to it being at home when I get back!

A.

Orionn

Fri May 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Does anyone know if they're shipping to Australia? When I tried to pay via paypal I got an error message: "PayPal does not allow your country of residence to ship to the country you wish to". That sounds like a convoluted error message, but I'm only trying to ship to my home address in Australia.

When I tried to go back to the RS site to try again it had logged me out, so I tried to use the code again and I keep getting "The code entered is invalid, please correct".

Their support aren't open on weekends, so it looks like I'll have to try ringing them on Monday.

(Note: The email from RS has "rsaustralia.com" at the bottom of the email.)

Raspberry wino

Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

You have to be persistent. I find that shouting at the computer and threatening to give it a damned good thrashing helps. It certainly helps me.

Then I''m not at all sure you're a fit foster parent for a new little Pi.

I'm going to report you to someone.

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Orionn said:

Does anyone know if they're shipping to Australia? When I tried to pay via paypal I got an error message: "PayPal does not allow your country of residence to ship to the country you wish to". That sounds like a convoluted error message, but I'm only trying to ship to my home address in Australia.

When I tried to go back to the RS site to try again it had logged me out, so I tried to use the code again and I keep getting "The code entered is invalid, please correct".

Their support aren't open on weekends, so it looks like I'll have to try ringing them on Monday.

(Note: The email from RS has "rsaustralia.com" at the bottom of the email.)

I don't wish to upset you but Monday is a bank holiday in the UK. The RS elves may be taking a break.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri May 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I don't wish to upset you but Monday is a bank holiday in the UK. The RS elves may be taking a break.

Drat!  I'd forgotten that it was a Bank Holiday on Monday. 

At this rate my Pi won't arrive for WEEKS!!!!!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Yes. The Royal Mail Pixies will also be having a rest.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri May 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Yes. The Royal Mail Pixies will also be having a rest.

My "Royal Mail Pixie" is more an Orc.  He eats pitbulls for breakfast, especially if he"s on his third round of the day……

Also I"ve found that putting a blob of beige Plasticine on a system box and wiring it to a clock* as a threat tends to make computers more co-operative.  Its almost as if they can think. 

* This is a JOKE!

Edit: for peslin, keyboard dyslexia and clarification for the terminally humourless
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

aperry

Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 pm

I just got my RS order in.  £21.60 + 4.95 to Boston.  Order number 30xx.

I may end up with to Pi's, but I haven't really heard anything from Export Farnell (despite promising me a delivery estimate this week), so I'll cross that bridge if/when I get there.

Aaron

pandapi

Fri May 04, 2012 3:31 pm

aperry said:

I just got my RS order in.  £21.60 + 4.95 to Boston.  Order number 30xx.

I may end up with to Pi's, but I haven't really heard anything from Export Farnell (despite promising me a delivery estimate this week), so I'll cross that bridge if/when I get there.

Aaron

I'm in this situation too. Until i actually get 1 in my grubby little hands i don't see the problem in ordering with RS when i already have an order with Farnell.

mkopack

Fri May 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Just got my invite and submitted my order... I already had one on order with Newark but it's not shipping until end of May. I had originally expressed interest with RS like <5 minutes after the site went live and just now got the invite to order.

I'll probably give/sell one of them to a friend in the local robotics club at cost and keep the other. Either way, will be nice to finally get one. Hopefully the RS one will get here before the Newark one.

Pi-n-Mash

Fri May 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Just ordered mine - 3054. Not sure when I managed to register interest, but it was probably before 6.30am.

cccsssddd

Fri May 04, 2012 4:30 pm

congrats to the lucky ones! my registration before 6:03 seems to have been lost in the ether somehow as others far later are getting their order in now... maybe they took the time of my second registration of interest having received no confirmation etc first time round... only around 24 days until the farnell order is on its way supposedly woop!

zedin

Fri May 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Yeah.. I too registered interest as soon as it opened and was told I was in first batch.  But given how things have been handled I don't know if they are just sending out the remaining emails that missed the first batch when they came up short or if I am just lost in the ether..  And since they don't really seem that active here or have any reliable contact information I feel like I am just up a creek and cannot expect to get a Pi anytime in the next couple of months.  Sad to see such a promising product mucked up by poor distributors and lack of planning.

joelwright

Fri May 04, 2012 4:44 pm

cccsssddd said:

congrats to the lucky ones! my registration before 6:03 seems to have been lost in the ether somehow as others far later are getting their order in now... maybe they took the time of my second registration of interest having received no confirmation etc first time round... only around 24 days until the farnell order is on its way supposedly woop!

At least I'm not the only one... I was beginning to feel persecuted...

Robert_M

Fri May 04, 2012 4:52 pm

:::big, dramatic Internet sigh:::

Drats...  So it would seem my bribe to RS was intercepted by Jack Horner....

Well, Good Luck to those winning this lottery round! I'll probably catch up within the next 60 days, so I expect y'all to have things in ship shape by then so all I need to do is pop some popcorn for my HTPC Pi to work on delivery day.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Orionn

Fri May 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Orionn said:

Does anyone know if they're shipping to Australia?

I just tried again this morning and it worked fine. I used a CC instead of paypal though, just in case.

Dendennis

Sat May 05, 2012 2:27 am

3486 here

Happy Bunny. darn the bank holiday,

ordered 6.02 a.m. Pi day

Tass

Sat May 05, 2012 7:52 am

514 left now!!

Just out of curiosity, are you guys receiving your RS emailed in a staggered fashion or did you all receiving them around 10AM yesterday morning?

Montala

Sat May 05, 2012 8:20 am

Interestingly the first post in this thread is timed at exactly 10:00 yesterday, so it is looking as if they were all sent out at the same time… which probably accounts for the initial problems experienced by some customers.

Hopefully mine will be included in the next 'batch', which (going by the latest Update from RS Components on the Home page) looks as if it will be a larger one.

grumpyoldgit

Sat May 05, 2012 8:39 am

Surely a first thread timed at 10.00am yesterday merely means that the first emails were going out about that time. What we want is info from people later in the day. Also interesting if RS are sending out worldwide, which I think they are. I received email at 9:44am yesterday and am in UK. My order is 20xx. I had a devil of a job getting the site to work as it kept timing out. I seems to me that the RS site is not very robust and that having even a few people buying Pis at the same time is enough to break it. How will they deal with tens of thousands of orders being processed over a relatively short period of time?

Also, assuming the numbering started at zero, they will have had their initial allocation of 700 and are gradually working their way through the next 4,000, which will then complete the first or second batch, depending on how their allocation of the first 10,000 has been accounted for. So basically, I am anticipating that sometime over the weekend someone will declare an order number of 4700. Everyone then will have their stop watches out in anticipation of the first batch to have been manufactured under the control of RS themselves.

I think I have got the arithmetic right but I am sure that there are at least 20 of you out there who will correct me on this!

Montala

Sat May 05, 2012 9:06 am

I would not dare to attempt to correct you but do you not think it is possible that the initial 700 you mention are actually included in the 4000 figure, so that no one will actually receive a number higher than 4000?

So far as I am aware no one has quoted one yet!

Fun times ahead, I fear!

(Edited for clarity!)

Tass

Sat May 05, 2012 9:14 am

As I understand it, the 700 were RS''s share of the first 2000, and the 4000 following that were their share of the remaining 8000.  I think they''ll have 4700 out of the first 10K batch.

Does anyone have an order number LOWER than 700 from their recent order?

grumpyoldgit

Sat May 05, 2012 9:24 am

No. I don't. My recollection was that 10,000 were made by RPI initially. 1,950 were freighted over to the UK and tested, found wanting, freighted back to China to be sorted, then freighted back here again. RPI extracted a number, leaving 700 each for RS and Farnell. These were distributed a few weeks ago. This left approximately 8,000 in China at some undefined state of manufacture. These had to be completed/corrected and then shipped out; 4,000 to RS and 4,000 to Farnell.

It may be that there has been an interim freighting of the 4,000 as I am not entirely sure they all came over in one batch. I seem to recall that people were receiving invitations a little while ago so batches may have been split down into smaller units for the purposes of correcting/freighting/distributing.

Of course, this all assumes that the first Pi out of RS was given order number 1and that all Pis have then been given a subsequent sequential number.

grumpyoldgit

Sat May 05, 2012 9:25 am

Wot Tass has just said in a few words to my several paragraphs!

The earliest number I can see here is 1675, which makes me think that 1,000 or so of the 4,000 were shipped over and distributed a little while ago.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 05, 2012 9:34 am

Intersting comment on the front page announcement from [email protected] -

"latest batch of 4,000 takes us to registrations recorded up to approximately 6.05am GMT on 29th Feb (which illustrates just how phenomenal the demand was that morning)."

So if you didn't get to register from before that time/date, your not getting one of the '4000'.

Rgds,

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “General discussion”